PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a hard case UPS/FED-X

William
12-18-2006, 11:20 AM
For those of you that have shipped a bicycle hard case, do you ship it as is or do you box up the case. Might be a dopey question, but every time I've used a hard case I've taken it with me so...

As is?
Box it up?

Thanks,

William

Serotta PETE
12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Just put bike in case and ship the case. No need to do anything else. I have found an online account with fedex works great for then they either pickup at door or at hotel (or you can drop it) AND all paper work in done, You print the paperwork and attach to case.

I have had better luck with Fed Ex than UPS on no damage.

SPOKES will disagree - but his bike was not damaged. (He just never got it). Someone with a FedEx jersey is ridning it around LA> >>>

PETE

saab2000
12-18-2006, 11:27 AM
As is, if you can secure it.

I shipped a bike to my folks' house a few months ago. I packed it into my hard case and locked it and sent it.

My hard case is from Automaxi and is an oddity, but I also know that it is very strong and that almost nothing can happen to it.

Depending on your case, I don't know why you can't ship it 'as is'. It will get scuffed and scratched, but if that doesn't bother you go for it.

Ginger
12-18-2006, 11:27 AM
As is, with locks.

Allow enough time for shipping. Fed ex "misplaced" three bikes for an Arizona trip. My mtb and road bike shipped 7 days ahead of the trip showed up the day after we got there (they had shipped it to Toledo, then back to Detroit, then to Toledo...I was tracking and called them on it...). A buddy's road bike showed up 8 days later. The day before we left...so...16 days to get a bike from Detroit to Arizona, no road riding for him. AND they didn't want to ship it back to Detroit for free. But they did.

I've gotten cardboard bike boxes from Fed Ex with huge fork truck holes in them.

I'm sure people have horror stories from UPS too...I've heard them.

William
12-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Thank you for the replies everyone. :cool: As it is not my bike, but doing it for a friend who has already left the state on his way to someplace warm and sunny for a while...I want to make sure I do this correctly.

William

chrisroph
12-18-2006, 11:38 AM
William:

Ship it as is. Its my case with Terry's zank so hopefully the boys won't break anything. Sounds like you had a great week of racing and hanging out at nats. You coming out to oregon for a visit anytime soon?

saab2000
12-18-2006, 11:41 AM
I want to make sure I do this correctly.

In that case, you can NEVER put too much padding on things. Learned that the hard way. It can be a PITA, but packing it right will mean it looks good later, with no gouges of paint or scratched or bent dropouts or other broken stuff.

William
12-18-2006, 11:41 AM
William:

Ship it as is. Its my case with Terry's zank so hopefully the boys won't break anything. Sounds like you had a great week of racing and hanging out at nats. You coming out to oregon for a visit anytime soon?

I had a blast with every one, and lots of fun just watching the racing. We are talking about getting out there this summer to visit my wife's family and my sister. We haven't been back to visit since we moved out here so it's likely to happen. And, I'll bring my Zank with me.

William

chrisroph
12-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I had a blast with every one, and lots of fun just watching the racing. We are talking about getting out there this summer to visit my wife's family and my sister. We haven't been back to visit since we moved out here so it's likely to happen. And, I'll bring my Zank with me.

William

Hope you make it this summer. We can do some dirt road adventure rides.

William
12-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Hope you make it this summer. We can do some dirt road adventure rides.

I would love to ride in Portland again. :cool: Sounds good.

William

Tom Kellogg
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
One thing to keep in mind, at least with UPS, only the "contents" of the shippment are covered by the insurance. Therefore, if the hard case is damaged, you are out of luck. If you can put the hard case inside a cardboard box, the whole thing is covered. Might not make sense, but that is the way that UPS does it. When we ship an S&S bike in it's hard case, we always use a cardboard box. Take it from someone who ships a lot. Take care.

gasman
12-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I would love to ride in Portland again. :cool: Sounds good.

William

Eugene is even better-Old Mckenzie hwy is even better than Eugene.

Ken Robb
12-18-2006, 06:05 PM
FWIW, Bike Friday shipped my bike and used case inside a heavy cardboard box both times. Inside the hard case they use many protective tubes on the frame and a couple of l-----l shaped props set vetically between the large sides of the hard case to keep side pressure from collapsing the case onto the contents.

zank
12-21-2006, 04:11 PM
How about we all go out to portland for the GP next year? What do ya say, William?

chrisroph
12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
How about we all go out to portland for the GP next year? What do ya say, William?

Great idea, I can probably put a couple of you up.

Ken Robb
12-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Great idea, I can probably put a couple of you up.
And you have my favorite loaner bike that you just bought from Douglas---- :beer:

chrisroph
12-21-2006, 05:10 PM
And you have my favorite loaner bike that you just bought from Douglas---- :beer:

Looking forward to getting the cable setup sorted so I can do the build and ride it.

William
12-21-2006, 08:59 PM

This sounds promising. I could visit the relatives, friends, forum buddies, and do some racing. What are the dates? I'll try to work this one.

William

zank
12-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Dec 1, 2

William
12-22-2006, 05:22 AM
Dec 1, 2

Workin it.

William

DRZRM
12-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Tom,

That is interesting about the case not being covered by insurance. I always bring my case and bike to FedEx and ship them ground, and I've had no problems. I guess I figure that those cases are tough enough that it is worth not messing around with cardboard boxes.

Zach