PDA

View Full Version : best Garmin for MTB use?

jpritchet74
08-15-2019, 11:52 AM
I just got a MTB and would like to use a Garmin to be able to load some routes into it (so I don't get lost when riding in a new area).

In the past I had taken a MTB to an area with trails and just didn't know where to go, so I would pick a trail and then have trouble getting back to where I came from. I'd like to be able to browse the Strava heat map and find a ride that someone has done, upload that, and then do that ride.

Which one should I get? Looking for the cheapest option that has all the necessary features. All I know I need it for it to work with a SRM / Quarq and to be able to upload routes to it.

dougefresh
08-15-2019, 12:04 PM
I just got a MTB and would like to use a Garmin to be able to load some routes into it (so I don't get lost when riding in a new area).

In the past I had taken a MTB to an area with trails and just didn't know where to go, so I would pick a trail and then have trouble getting back to where I came from. I'd like to be able to browse the Strava heat map and find a ride that someone has done, upload that, and then do that ride.

Which one should I get? Looking for the cheapest option that has all the necessary features. All I know I need it for it to work with a SRM / Quarq and to be able to upload routes to it.

have you tried https://www.trailforks.com/ or https://www.mtbproject.com/

they're free and you can download maps to use when you don't have cell coverage. these apps and a small Garmin 25 work for me but YMMV

jpritchet74
08-15-2019, 12:45 PM
have you tried https://www.trailforks.com/ or https://www.mtbproject.com/

they're free and you can download maps to use when you don't have cell coverage. these apps and a small Garmin 25 work for me but YMMV

Thanks for those links! I will check those out when the bike arrives.

buddybikes
08-15-2019, 12:50 PM
If you carry your cell, Gaia GPS is great to get you out of tough/lost spots.

fmradio516
08-15-2019, 12:52 PM
I use both MTB Project and Trailforks.

MTBProject for finding nearby trails and then I use Trailforks while on the ride as you can see exactly where you are and more importantly, which direction you are currently facing. So if youre at a 5 way intersection, you just point your phone and the arrow on the map follows.

kppolich
08-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Trailforks is now on a few garmins.
https://www.trailforks.com/blog/view/traiforks-now-available-on-garmin-edge-devices/

jpritchet74
08-15-2019, 01:50 PM
https://www.trailforks.com/blog/view/traiforks-now-available-on-garmin-edge-devices/

Well that's super useful! THANKS!

fmradio516
08-15-2019, 02:20 PM
This makes me want to get a bar mounted computer for the mountain bike so I dont need to stop riding every few minutes to whip out my phone.

Is Garmin the best? A buddy of mine uses a Wahoo Element and it looks cool, but just wondering if theres any major advantage over each other

bigbill
08-15-2019, 02:29 PM
I use Alltrails to find places. I can download a map and use the GPS function on my phone to find me when I'm not sure. I use a Garmin Edge 1000 (I like the large screen) and most of the trails I'm using show on the Garmin, and most of those have the trail name on them.

jpritchet74
08-15-2019, 02:50 PM
This makes me want to get a bar mounted computer for the mountain bike so I dont need to stop riding every few minutes to whip out my phone.

Is Garmin the best? A buddy of mine uses a Wahoo Element and it looks cool, but just wondering if theres any major advantage over each other

I am curious about the Wahoo as well.

doublenines
08-15-2019, 08:26 PM

Not sure how it works on the new Garmin 830, but I downloaded the TrailForks app on my 820 thinking it would give me an overview of the trails instead of pulling out my phone at every intersection and that’s not what it does. It makes you choose a predefined ride/course and directs you turn by turn. If that’s what you’re looking for then go for it, but it wasn’t for me.

I currently use my old scratched 500 to log the ride and keep an eye on the time, and use TF for figuring out which trails to turn down; however not all trails are on TF so I use Maprika with downloadable maps from the area trails I ride to get better guidance. For the trail systems that are 100% covered on TF, I use TF because the interface is a lot better.

I also use my Garmin vivoactive once in a while when I want to see my HR or am expecting a call.

My advice, don’t spend too much on computer for a mtb bike. Unless you’re riding perfectly groomed trails falling is inevitable and it hurts a little more when you see a busted screen on a $400 computer.

weaponsgrade
08-15-2019, 09:05 PM
I recently bought a 530 specifically for the Trailforks data. I used to have an 800. The Trailforks data really comes in handy when you're out mountain biking someplace new. I searched TrailForks for some routes I thought might be good and downloaded them to the 530. What I like was being able to verify my physical location with the names of the trails on the 530. I think the 530 is the best out there for off-road navigation, but it's far from perfect. On one of my rides, I deviated from the preloaded route, eventually hooked back up to a trail that was on the route, but Garmin would intermittently tell me to make a U-turn.

One of the features of following a preloaded route is that Garmin gives you preview of the climbs like length and grade. It generally worked pretty good, but there was some weirdness in how Garmin determines whether or not there's a climb. I rode some sections that I thought should qualify as a "climb," but weren't and other sections that qualified as a "climb," but didn't think they should.

Supposedly, you can be at a fork in the trail and get info on each of the different trails. I haven't been able to figure this out yet. I thought I read somewhere that the climb preview thing only works for a preloaded route.

I'm used to the touchscreen of the 800 (as crappie as it is - at least compared to my iphone) and it was a bit of a pain to be toggling between buttons to pan and zoom the map. I also think the UI could use improvement. When you go to save the ride, Garmin asks you to input a other data like the amount of water you drank. I don't really care for this and wish there was some way to skip it.

Moyboy
08-15-2019, 10:16 PM
One of the new ones? the 530 or 830? just so you have the mtb specific features they just released? and they aren't too big like the 1030.

fmradio516
08-16-2019, 07:30 AM
I am curious about the Wahoo as well.

after this I message my buddy that has it and he says to go Garmin. Not sure why, but I trust him.

And now I want a dang GPS...

Likes2ridefar
08-16-2019, 07:51 AM
I use routes in ridewithgps on my phone. Can easily hear the turn by turn directions as I approach turns on trails with it in a rear pocket.

Then osmand previously and now as mentioned already Gaia for offline navigation. Gaia costs more but is better. Love the National Geographic map overlay that is available.

commonguy001
08-16-2019, 07:54 AM
I’d just use a garmin and have Trailforks loaded on your phone. Make sure you have your state map preloaded and you won’t need cellular to see where you’re at. I have Trailforks on my garmin as well but don’t like how it works, it’s probably just me but I found it cumbersome so I just pull my phone out if I’m lost. If you need to see where you’ve been to get back, regular garmin maps work fine for that.

jpritchet74
08-17-2019, 12:34 PM
I went with the Garmin 530. I'll report back with how it works out.

Thanks for the input everyone!

SpeedyChix
08-17-2019, 06:09 PM
For anyone looking for 830 feedback it’s a great device and the touch screen works. The screen is much brighter than a 1030 and the size of the 530 and 830 are great for road or mtb. Trailforks works great on it. I tried both the 530 and 830 and went with the 830. Found it easier to work with.

djg21
08-17-2019, 08:21 PM
I went with the Garmin 530. I'll report back with how it works out.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I got one for my wife to use on her Tri bike. The buttons were impossible to use when the unit was installed between aero bars, so I sent it back, and likely will get her an 830.

I have a 1030 that I use on the road and on my MTB. Garmin just released beta software that has all the same MTB functions as the 530/830. You can look at the Garmin forum to find links to the beta software. https://forums.garmin.com/. I loaded the trailforks Garmin ConnectIQ app, and it works fine.

As far as maps, I own the Garmin Topo maps from years ago, and I loaded them using the Basemap PC app, so I see both the street maps and topo maps simultaneously.