PDA

View Full Version : Training Peaks users - create a library of workouts?

makoti
08-14-2019, 10:38 PM
I use TP sparingly, but recently started setting up workouts and loading them to the Wahoo Bolt. Works really well on the road, but I can't figure out how to save the workouts to use on other days. Tried to export them in several formats, but when I try to re-load them, TP doesn't recognize them. All I can do now is drag an old workout to the day I want, sync the bolt while it's there, and then move it back. Otherwise, it's re-create the workout every time. There HAS to be an easier way.
Bonus points if you know how to set up the Bolt to use/remember old workouts. Right now, I can only get preset workouts to stay on the Bolt. The stuff I create disappears after the date I set it up for.

ergott
08-15-2019, 06:52 AM
In TP on browser you can copy/paste workouts to different days. Go to calendar view, click on the hamburger of the workout (the three little lines, top right) and select copy. Then click the hamburger of the date you want to copy workout to.

dem
08-15-2019, 07:02 AM
I use TP sparingly, but recently started setting up workouts and loading them to the Wahoo Bolt. Works really well on the road, but I can't figure out how to save the workouts to use on other days. Tried to export them in several formats, but when I try to re-load them, TP doesn't recognize them. All I can do now is drag an old workout to the day I want, sync the bolt while it's there, and then move it back. Otherwise, it's re-create the workout every time. There HAS to be an easier way.
Bonus points if you know how to set up the Bolt to use/remember old workouts. Right now, I can only get preset workouts to stay on the Bolt. The stuff I create disappears after the date I set it up for.

Structured workouts on the Wahoo suck. If you aren't paying for Trainingpeaks, you basically can't do anything - you have to re-create a workout every day since the free version does not let you cut and paste, and the Bolt/Elemnt will only show the workout on that day. I quickly gave up and just keep track in my head since I am neither serious nor doing very complex workouts. The Wahoo response was "we have no plans to add real structured workout support"

If you need workouts, you pretty much have to use Garmin (ugh!)

ergott
08-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Structured workouts on the Wahoo suck. If you aren't paying for Trainingpeaks, you basically can't do anything - you have to re-create a workout every day since the free version does not let you cut and paste, and the Bolt/Elemnt will only show the workout on that day. I quickly gave up and just keep track in my head since I am neither serious nor doing very complex workouts. The Wahoo response was "we have no plans to add real structured workout support"

I didn't realize you need TP subscription to do that (I have).

Wahoo doesn't have a way to import fit or similar workout files?

dem
08-15-2019, 07:26 AM
I didn't realize you need TP subscription to do that (I have).

Wahoo doesn't have a way to import fit or similar workout files?

Nope, nothing, zilch! The only (free) way to get a workout on the Wahoo is to create a new one every day in TP. Admittedly I haven't tried this season, so maybe they added something - I'd love to be wrong.

Everybody reading the thread, go open a support ticket complaining. :)

ergott
08-15-2019, 07:33 AM
The few times I try to do intervals on the road I found it very difficult to look at screen anyway. I prefer to do longer sub threshold intervals on the road and save the shorter intervals for Zwift. Either that or I just skip the structure and do short hills accordingly.

makoti
08-15-2019, 08:19 AM
In TP on browser you can copy/paste workouts to different days. Go to calendar view, click on the hamburger of the workout (the three little lines, top right) and select copy. Then click the hamburger of the date you want to copy workout to.

I guess if I'd poked around a bit more... Checking out what you suggested, I found that I can actually add them to a library, "Workout Library" & then drag them to the day I want. Looks easy enough, unless...

I do have a paid version right now, but through my coach. If I stop that, I'll likely stop paying for it. I wonder if you can add files to the Workout Library in the free version? Wahoo made some odd decisions on how you can get things into the Bolt, that's for sure.
Before trying to load the workouts, I resorted to a paper with the workout written on it stuffed in a baggie, stuffed in a pocket. I could never remember what was next otherwise.

benb
08-15-2019, 09:14 AM
I've been doing copy/paste since I started using Training Peaks. I am not actually using it this year as I really needed a season of "JRA and have fun" though.

I got my initial back of workouts by getting a program from a coach.. I kind of started from there and would copy & modify workouts.

I don't have a Wahoo I have a Garmin but I found using the computer to run the workout to really suck too because the program can't adapt for real world situations out on the road.

It is relatively trivial to memorize your workout, and the longer you do it the easier it gets, so I memorize the workout and then just press the lap button at the appropriate times.

The issue I had with the computer running the workout is it has no awareness of a car pulling in front of you or a red light when you're finishing up a recovery interval. You can't run a 2:30 rest interval instead of 2:00 because you're stuck at a red light. Then the timer for the interval starts and you're all messed up cause you wait for the red light.

makoti
08-15-2019, 11:16 AM
The issue I had with the computer running the workout is it has no awareness of a car pulling in front of you or a red light when you're finishing up a recovery interval. You can't run a 2:30 rest interval instead of 2:00 because you're stuck at a red light. Then the timer for the interval starts and you're all messed up cause you wait for the red light.

All true, but I'm not that worried about getting the interval EXACTLY right. Heck, I'm more likely to miss the power target up or down than the timing be off. If you can ride on fairly open roads with not too many lights, I think it works pretty well.

benb
08-15-2019, 11:19 AM
If you have shorter intervals and you don't match up your intervals with what the computer is doing all your #s will be so far off they'll be useless.

You'll never be able to hit the ride goals if everything is so far off, particularly with power.

Even a 10 minute interval.. if you are stuck at a light for the first 30 seconds of the interval and then do 10 minutes when the light changes so you end up riding hard 30 seconds into the recovery interval... those numbers could be off by 50w or more... totally useless data at that point. Your hard interval might be -50W and you think you didn't go hard enough, so you blow the next one. And your recovery interval will be Zone 2-3 and you'll think you aren't recovering. Even if you are a total noob to power you will learn how to pace yourself very quickly to the point you'll have less error than the computer would introduce if the interval markers are off.

You could go back into the data in training peaks and try to correct the lap markers but that is not the kind of thing you're going to manage to do if you're a "time crunched cyclist" for sure.

I have found even a really tight corner or something can blow my interval #s, even for 10 minute intervals, which is about the longest interval I have managed to do a quality interval on. I literally haven't found a quality stretch of road near where I live/work where I can actually put down steady enough #s to get a real 20 minute #. For me even with a little bit of climbing I will average 21-23mph when I'm riding a threshold interval. Last year I was targeting 300w for 10 minutes. A couple really hard right hand turns where I can't pedal full force through the corner would be enough to drop me down 10-15w for the interval. I did eventually get my # but it was blown many times by outside factors that were way smaller than computer error with timing. A car pulling out in front, traffic that blocks the shoulder and makes you soft pedal, cars that are travelling slower than the speed you need to travel to keep your power # up where it belongs, etc..

makoti
08-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Even a 10 minute interval.. if you are stuck at a light for the first 30 seconds of the interval and then do 10 minutes when the light changes so you end up riding hard 30 seconds into the recovery interval...

Auto stop/start? Again, I'm no pro, so it isn't that critical.

benb
08-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Auto stop/start? Again, I'm no pro, so it isn't that critical.

I honestly can't remember why that didn't work. I think the workout timer didn't stop when you stopped!

But that was 3 years ago last time I tried it. Maybe Garmin/Wahoo/whoever has a way to make it work now.