PDA

View Full Version : 27.5 vs 29 for short rider

cmbicycles
08-14-2019, 10:31 PM
My kids are outgrowing their 14" 26er hardtails so I'm starting to look for something bigger. Both are about 5'2 at the moment, I'm 6'5 so likely they are doomed.
At current height would a 29er be an awkward fit with the small frame onto bigger wheels, or is 27.5/650b a better wheel size at this stage. They mostly ride single track and considering trying a race at some point, but nothing too serious besides getting out and enjoying riding... I'm the gear junkie planning the upgrades ;)
I am also considering moving to a 29er for myself, so also thinking about "standardized" wheel size for bikes in the house. Currently we all have 26" mtn bikes while we tried the mtn bike team experiment to see if we enjoyed it... that seems to have been a success.

Seems like 29er is more popular around here for the trails we ride in central VA.

peanutgallery
08-14-2019, 10:42 PM
Go 29, geo is dialed for height, better rollover, etc

27.5 is for the luddites:). You're on the east coast and there are rocks and what not, 29 just works. Sounds like a NICA bike, both Trek and specialized have great pricing for that market if that's what you're doing

cmbicycles
08-14-2019, 11:05 PM

27.5 is for the luddites:). You're on the east coast and there are rocks and what not, 29 just works. Sounds like a NICA bike, both Trek and specialized have great pricing for that market if that's what you're doingIf 27.5" is for the luddites, where does that put 26"?

RudAwkning
08-14-2019, 11:45 PM

27.5 is for the luddites:). You're on the east coast and there are rocks and what not, 29 just works. Sounds like a NICA bike, both Trek and specialized have great pricing for that market if that's what you're doing

How tall are you? I call uninformed bull***** on a real issue!!! I’ve owned multiple niners, and at 5’6” I can say that scrubbing your ass on the rear tire with the dropper down is unnerving. Hit a steep rock roll when the suspension compresses and you’re getting a quick wake up call. Salad tossing is scary!

I’ve switched to 27.5 and all is right in the world :)

None of this is an issue if they’re running hardtails though.

Size matters!

slowpoke
08-14-2019, 11:52 PM
27.5 is for the luddites:)

I know this is a joke, but 27.5 is "newer" to the MTB scener than 29 is.

Anyways, 27.5 / 650b for shorter riders; for both MTB and road. Frames smaller than 53cm would be better served built around 650b.

jtakeda
08-15-2019, 12:23 AM
How tall are you? I call uninformed bull***** on a real issue!!! I’ve owned multiple niners, and at 5’6” I can say that scrubbing your ass on the rear tire with the dropper down is unnerving. Hit a steep rock roll when the suspension compresses and you’re getting a quick wake up call. Salad tossing is scary!

I’ve switched to 27.5 and all is right in the world :)

None of this is an issue if they’re running hardtails though.

Size matters!

where does that put me? 26+ hardtail :0

laupsi
08-15-2019, 04:26 AM

disagree w/this statement! I'm 5'9, weight 160 lbs and am currently on 27.5x28 and simply love the set up. trails in my area can ARE technical; rocky, rutty. I see no difference whatsoever in the handling and speed accept that I do have more control on the single track, tricky sections w/this set up. also, this set up was recommended to me based on my riding style and location from the good old folks at Moots!

rnhood
08-15-2019, 05:06 AM

Agree, go with the 29. They won't outgrow it, and it does everything well.

oldpotatoe
08-15-2019, 06:12 AM
My kids are outgrowing their 14" 26" wheeled hardtails and I'm starting to look for something bigger. 5'2 at the moment, I'm 6'5 so likely they are doomed.
At current height would a 29er be an awkward fit with the small frame onto bigger wheels, or is 27.5/650b a better wheel size at this stage. They mostly ride single track and considering trying a race at some point, but nothing too serious besides getting out and enjoying riding... I'm the gear junkie planning the upgrades ;)
I am also considering moving to a 29er for myself, so also thinking about "standardized" wheel size for bikes in the house. Currently we all have 26" mtn bikes while we tried the mtn bike team experiment to see if we enjoyed it... that seems to have been a success.

I'm not into all the current mtn bike stuff so looking for opinions on wheel size. Seems like 29er is more popular around here for the trails we ride in central VA.

Have them ride each..rent them? 29er can be a BIG bike, particularly for smaller riders. PLUS plenty of taller people riding 27.5..Besides, 5foot2inches..how long before they get really tall? The next or next or NEXT greatest thing will have come along by then..:)

peanutgallery
08-15-2019, 06:26 AM
Quite a difference between a 27.5 plus and a 27.5

27 Plus rollover is similar and you don't have to be as squared up when you hit stuff. Ran one for about 2 years and really liked it, gave up on it because of wheel weight and BB height in the copious amount of rocks where I ride. Felt like I hit everything

Mtb geo seems to change by the day, and the 29 seems to fit folks as short as 5 feet pretty well. Slack steering is in

disagree w/this statement! I'm 5'9, weight 160 lbs and am currently on 27.5x28 and simply love the set up. trails in my area can ARE technical; rocky, rutty. I see no difference whatsoever in the handling and speed accept that I do have more control on the single track, tricky sections w/this set up. also, this set up was recommended to me based on my riding style and location from the good old folks at Moots!

peanutgallery
08-15-2019, 06:30 AM
At the Smithsonian...next to Archie Bunkes chair:)

where does that put me? 26+ hardtail :0

Jaybee
08-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Why not let your kids try both wheel sizes and see what they like? They'll probably eventually make it to 29" if they choose 27.5", but that's a couple frame sizes down the road.

Tony
08-15-2019, 01:35 PM

I had several opportunities to ride both the 2018 27.5 and the 29 TY USA CF PRO RACE, https://us.yt-industries.com/ both their high end trail bikes and both with the same tire setup. I prefer the longer travel 27.5. The longer travel with its lighter wheels feels move maneuverable, playful, roll over felt as good as the 29er.

Tony
08-15-2019, 01:37 PM
My kids are outgrowing their 14" 26" wheeled hardtails and I'm starting to look for something bigger. 5'2 at the moment, I'm 6'5 so likely they are doomed.
At current height would a 29er be an awkward fit with the small frame onto bigger wheels, or is 27.5/650b a better whrel size at this stage. They mostly ride single track and considering trying a race at some point, but nothing too serious besides getting out and enjoying riding... I'm the gear junkie planning the upgrades ;)

I'm not into all the current mtn bike stuff so looking for opinions on wheel size. Seems like 29er is more popular around here for the trails we ride in central VA.

I would try and get them in a 29er that fits.

kppolich
08-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Politely,

29er, 27.5 is dead.

dougefresh
08-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Politely,

29er, 27.5 is dead.

he's not wrong folks

SpeedyChix
08-15-2019, 04:47 PM
At 5'6" I ride both wheel sizes and for tight and tech I much prefer the 27.5 as it's more flickable and nimble. For trails that are wide open hauling I opt for 29. Tire mass and constant re-acceleration of the larger tires can be a significant energy drain.

Your local riding terrain and trails plus preferred riding style should take more weight in deciding vs someone saying one wheel size is dead or only slacker long low geo works. If you ride terrain where there are a lot of rocks or logs ratcheting pedals or having to stop pedaling when you'd rather been the gas can get old fast.

Tony
08-15-2019, 05:44 PM
At 5'6" I ride both wheel sizes and for tight and tech I much prefer the 27.5 as it's more flickable and nimble. For trails that are wide open hauling I opt for 29. Tire mass and constant re-acceleration of the larger tires can be a significant energy drain.

Your local riding terrain and trails plus preferred riding style should take more weight in deciding vs someone saying one wheel size is dead or only slacker long low geo works. If you ride terrain where there are a lot of rocks or logs ratcheting pedals or having to stop pedaling when you'd rather been the gas can get old fast.

hasn't been to any enduro or downhill races, nor familiar with freeriding.

CunegoFan
08-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Ask them what Youtube channel they like. If they like Seth then get them a 27.5. If they follow BKXC get a 29. If they like Singletrack Sampler then get them a beard grooming kit.

cmbicycles
08-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Thank you for the "in a nutshell" comparisons, good info to consider. The following youtube video (not mine) is the trails where we ride most of the time. Not particularly rocky. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DY4g9qaXl9gc&ved=2ahUKEwjzi4e_94XkAhUCJt8KHfLsBaUQo7QBMAh6BAgAE BI&usg=AOvVaw2pIxArzcWrkUFpPj-fp6CR Around 7:25 in the video is where my oldest broke an arm earlier this year.

They'll probably be getting hardtails unless I find a really good deal on FS. At 10 and 12 they will likely outgrow whatever we decide to get in about two years.

I will ask some of the other parents if we can borrow someones bike sometime to try out different wheel sizes. I considered demo bikes, but not too many shops have demos around here that I am aware of, and since I'll likely be buying used bikes I wouldn't feel right using their demo bikes with no real intent to purchase from the lbs.

SpeedyChix
08-15-2019, 05:58 PM
hasn't been to any enduro or downhill races, nor familiar with freeriding.

These don’t seem particularly applicable to the OPs search.
My comment re pedaling is my annoyance at low bb heights while climbing heavily rooted or rocked terrain

Jaybee
08-15-2019, 07:06 PM
These don’t seem particularly applicable to the OPs search.
My comment re pedaling is my annoyance at low bb heights while climbing heavily rooted or rocked terrain

This is my primary complaint with modern Long Low Slack geo as well. The bike (v1 Hightower) hauls in every situation, especially flow trails, but we’ve got a ton of chunk on the Front Range and I clip a lot of pedals, even in “high” mode. I like everything else about it - having that front center way out there has saved me many times.

I agree that you’ll rarely find anything not 29” on the contemporary go-fast circuit, whether that’s enduro or DH or XC. But those are pros - what works for them to get from A to B as fast as possible may not work for you to max out your fun. I’m a 29er guy myself, but enough people enjoy their small wheeled bikes that I’m not going to say 29 is the only way.

Ronsonic
08-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Last year I put my 12yo neph on a Med 27.5 with XC geo that's just a bit big on him with plenty of room to seatpost and stem it out as he grows.

Part of this is living among very twisting trails and him just coming off of crappy BMX bikes so wanted it to be an easier transition.

simplemind
08-17-2019, 11:36 AM
I'm 5'11" and everytime I hop on my Med 2007 26" Yeti 575 it just feels so natural and well balanced. Actually my Strava times on that bike are better than on my Med SB 4.5, which are 29".

Personally I wouldn' have anything larger than 27.5 on an XS or S frame size. Yes you can cram 29's in there, but you're just not going to get the balance geo that the smaller wheels afford. Sure they can roll over obstacles better, but that's not the point. You want to learn skills and pick lines, right?

For that matter, put them on a BMX to learn the skills first. That's what my son did and he's the best bike handler I know personally.

Tony
08-17-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm 5'11" and everytime I hop on my Med 2007 26" Yeti 575 it just feels so natural and well balanced. Actually my Strava times on that bike are better than on my Med SB 4.5, which are 29".

Personally I wouldn' have anything larger than 27.5 on an XS or S frame size. Yes you can cram 29's in there, but you're just not going to get the balance geo that the smaller wheels afford. Sure they can roll over obstacles better, but that's not the point. You want to learn skills and pick lines, right?

For that matter, put them on a BMX to learn the skills first. That's what my son did and he's the best bike handler I know personally.

I'm seeing a few bikes on the trail this year with a 29er front and 27.5 rear.

the bottle ride
08-17-2019, 05:50 PM
East coast here- 29er rolls over the tech better in my opinion.

cmbicycles
10-04-2019, 09:49 PM
I found a Trek Fuel 26" bike for one kiddo that is a good fit and full squish is making for more fun, now time to upgrade the other. What is a good bike(or 2 or 3) to keep an eye out for that will be under $500 on the used market.

I've been browsing here, pinkbike, CL & ebay by size/wheel and just seeing if there are strong opinions on further narrowing down the choices. Plan is to go with bigger wheel HT, unless another great deal on a FS falls into place.