PDA

View Full Version : Boonen's ride

LegendRider
12-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Boonen's Specialized. Whaddya think?

soulspinner
12-18-2006, 09:45 AM
My stem would read Speciali...Lotsa red.

gt6267a
12-18-2006, 09:48 AM
i don't think it is flashy enough. i mean really, this thing could get lost in a crowd in a second. what about some gold or silver or maybe some neon lights and a disco ball? just something to catch the eye ...

saab2000
12-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Those Roval wheels may be good, but they sure are fugly. Of the three big US brands (Cannondale, Specialized and Trek) I like the System 6 from Cannondale the best.

Just my opinion.

Boonen rocks though and the fugly wheels will sell like hot cakes when he wins a few races on them.

swoop
12-18-2006, 09:50 AM
mp.

20 bucks says he won't use that saddle.

dave thompson
12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
What brand is it? :D

LegendRider
12-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Let's revisit this thread the Monday after Flanders and see how many differences we spot between this and his race winning bike!

dauwhe
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
I'll try to be polite and say that the bike is very far removed from what my aesthetic sense considers to be beautiful...

Dave

CPP
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
JMO, it looks like sh.t and those wheels, ugh
CPP

Russell
12-18-2006, 10:14 AM
It's ugly, but so what? It's a pro-bike. I mean I'm not going to drive a car with NASCAR decals all over it. Well, maybe if I lived in West Virginia.

Erik.Lazdins
12-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I hope Paris Roubaix is really really muddy this year that should mute the busyness of the scheme. I like seeing this guy race, this bike will make it easier to find him on tv!

jemoryl
12-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Extreme fuglyness.

Grant McLean
12-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Now all he needs is the new uniform....

(all funnin' aside, i don't think that's the package they will ride.
I believe they are riding Fulcrum wheels and campaganolo cranks)

g

Fixed
12-18-2006, 10:41 AM
poor guy
ugh those wheels imho
cheers

Grant McLean
12-18-2006, 11:01 AM
poor guy
ugh those wheels imho
cheers

HEY! bro, good to hear from you!

g

petitelilpettit
12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I think it looks horrible. For one thing, there are TOO MANY LOGOS!!! Take the Roval stickers off, the stem and crank logos off, and then you might have a better looking bike. Agree with everyone about the wheels: very ugly. Sadly, they will probably sell like crazy if someone like Boonen rides them and wins on them. Oh well. It's all about business now (I wonder what Time is thinking right now :D :D )

Pettit

Kevan
12-18-2006, 11:14 AM
How boring is that?!

sspielman
12-18-2006, 11:47 AM
..... (I wonder what Time is thinking right now :D :D )

Pettit

It wouldn't surprize me if they were busy painting a VXRS in those colors......

tomwd3
12-18-2006, 12:15 PM
The wheel are awful looking. They better be fast cuz they sure aren't pretty.
I know specialized is paying through the nose to get these guys on the bikes, but jeez. Couldn't they tone down the size and quantity of the logos just a bit? It really does look like a circus clown bike.
I can't get over those hubs....?

J.Greene
12-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Boonen's Specialized. Whaddya think?

It looks like everything else the euro pros ride to my eye.

JG

Grant McLean
12-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Boonen: Specialized Bikes Are Best

From Belgian newspaper, Gazeta van Antwerpen, "Tom Boonen, who won 23 times in 2006, ended his season in mid-October with a good feeling about his performances. Now it's time to start getting serious again, two weeks earlier than last year. 'I have started riding a little bit. Mostly to keep myself busy and just have fun, with my road bike and a new mountain bike. My new bikes are really jewels. You would think, at this level, there is no difference anymore, but the new Specialized bikes that I have received are simply the best.'"

PBWrench
12-18-2006, 12:40 PM
I'd suggest just a few equipment tweaks to approximate this ride more closely.

mike p
12-18-2006, 01:34 PM
What happened to the arched top tube bike? I thought that was their top of the line rig. Is that thing carbon or alu?

Mike

Sandy
12-18-2006, 01:45 PM
How boring is that?!

You should buy the bike. That way you could ride naked as you sometimes do, or even in your matching pink skirt and sequined pink shoes, and nobody would even notice you....................except me.......... :)

Sequined Sandy

Ken Robb
12-18-2006, 02:41 PM
just looking at it makes my neck hurt.

pdxmech13
12-18-2006, 02:50 PM
as a tool I'm sure it will be just fine

I hope the kid dosn't have any mechanicals and makes him loose any big races.

IXXI
12-18-2006, 03:04 PM
It sure aint for me, but I like it. Okay the hubs or whatever they are now to be called are a bit much...

sg8357
12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Paging Joe Bell, emergency in the paint shop, Mr. Bell please report to the paint shop stat.

Scott G.

Simon Q
12-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Boonen: Specialized Bikes Are Best

From Belgian newspaper, Gazeta van Antwerpen, "Tom Boonen, who won 23 times in 2006, ended his season in mid-October with a good feeling about his performances. Now it's time to start getting serious again, two weeks earlier than last year. 'I have started riding a little bit. Mostly to keep myself busy and just have fun, with my road bike and a new mountain bike. My new bikes are really jewels. You would think, at this level, there is no difference anymore, but the new Specialized bikes that I have received are simply the best.'"

How often have you heard a pro move to a new team or the team change bikes and say "you know, I am a little bummed with this ride. I wish I was still on a [insert old brand here]". They are paid to sell the bikes. Not saying that it isn't a good bike or that Boonen is lying, just that I would have been surprised if his reaction wasn't glowing.

I find it really hard to get excited about Spec bikes for some reason and Boonen et al riding them isn't going to change that. Of the big US guys Cannondale is the only one that I drool over, partly becuase they use some metal, partly becuase of the clean line (there are no unusual bulges or shapes) and they are also more unerstated and, IMO. classy - by way of contrast with Spec. I am really looking forward to seeing the Liquigas Cannondales.

KJMUNC
12-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Specialized/Sinyard have always been about marketing, so you shouldn't have expected them to roll out an matte black bike for Tom et al with small simple logos.

The Roval logos on the wheels aren't any worse than Campy's Bora Ultras. The hub is designed for function, not fashion, but you might as well color it to match if you're going to slap it on there. I highly doubt you're going to see those in the Classics, just like you don't see many other high end carbon wheels. If they're as effective as Spec says they are, why wouldn't you want to use them in races where aero is most important?

I'm not a fan of the color scheme either, but it's consistent with Specialized's brand/colors, so it works for them. The name of their game is to get noticed and people talking.....seems to be working

FATBOY
12-18-2006, 04:51 PM
How often have you heard a pro move to a new team or the team change bikes and say "you know, I am a little bummed with this ride. I wish I was still on a [insert old brand here]". They are paid to sell the bikes. Not saying that it isn't a good bike or that Boonen is lying, just that I would have been surprised if his reaction wasn't glowing.

I find it really hard to get excited about Spec bikes for some reason and Boonen et al riding them isn't going to change that. Of the big US guys Cannondale is the only one that I drool over, partly becuase they use some metal, partly becuase of the clean line (there are no unusual bulges or shapes) and they are also more unerstated and, IMO. classy - by way of contrast with Spec. I am really looking forward to seeing the Liquigas Cannondales.

I agree that C-Dale was actually starting to look traditional amongst alot of the goofy stuff out there but........We put together a new SystemSix and could not get over how disproportionate that thing is. The headtube looks like a Fosters can and the stays are pencil thin. The downtube is so big that the rider hits his calves on it constantly. But, so it goes. In five years it will fit right in.

Elefantino
12-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Don't think he'll use the saddle, either. Lots of complaints about the Toupé, but then again those are from folks with ordinary butts.

sspielman
12-18-2006, 05:21 PM
I think that he may actually use those shifters and derailleurs.....

obtuse
12-18-2006, 05:36 PM
"Suddenly there was a big problem with our new bikes. Not stiff enough! When you put to much power in the biggest gear the chain falls off. Very dangerous of course. Everyone was complaining about this problem, but our sponsor did not want to change it. After 2km of training they ask me if I have the same problem. With a calm mind I decided to test it out. Van de Walle [Jurgen] just told me not to try it while riding out of the saddle, but since my chain is allready in the biggest gear I go standing to put some power on the pedals. Instanly my chain falls off and consequently I loose all my balance and fall over my handlebars almost hitting Tom [Boonen]. Brammmm! There I am, laying on the ground. Everyone is shocked, but I'm on the ground laughing since I actually proved how dangerous it is.
After a brief inspection I see a piece of my knee is left on the road. I'm brought back to the hotel and come in in bad condition. The sponsors looked quite shocked, and I reached what wasn't possible with many argumations. All cranks were replaced to avoid more accidents. Everyone thanks me, and we even award "a golden crank", after Tom's "Kristallen Fiets" [a belgian sports award]. ..."

from bram tankink's diary; bramtankink.nl translation by someone with a greater command of the dutch language than i.

obtuse

stevep
12-18-2006, 05:46 PM
i promise you that they will build boonen a multi reinforced frame that he can race and win on.
it will bear as much resemblance to a specialized that you can buy as a print of the mona lisa to the mona lisa... the same but different.

also note that not a lot of the people on this forum would need or want a bike that a racer like boonen may need. he is not really like us.

and that saddle will never be seen under his butt, either. no chance

i, for one, find the wheels ridiculous. effective, maybe but still ridiculous.

obtuse
12-18-2006, 05:58 PM
i promise you that they will build boonen a multi reinforced frame that he can race and win on.
it will bear as much resemblance to a specialized that you can buy as a print of the mona lisa to the mona lisa... the same but different.

also note that not a lot of the people on this forum would need or want a bike that a racer like boonen may need. he is not really like us.

and that saddle will never be seen under his butt, either. no chance

i, for one, find the wheels ridiculous. effective, maybe but still ridiculous.

i want a bike that a racer like boonen may need....explain that eh?

obtuse

saab2000
12-18-2006, 05:58 PM
The bike Boonen rides may not be at all like what we can buy. But it wish it were.

My new/old Look is fairly satisfying, but for my own curiosity I wish it were the same bike the pros ride. Or at least the same carbon layups and construction, even if just a stock geometry. I know that I am never going to be as strong as Lance or Boonen or any of those guys, but I wish you could buy what they have. Look is trying something like this now with the 585 Ultra and 595 Ultra models.

The Specialized is kinda fugly, without doubt, but many pro bikes are. Just the nature of the business. Very few of them are understated and elegant anymore.

Lincoln
12-18-2006, 06:06 PM
mp.

20 bucks says he won't use that saddle.

Yeah, wicked MP. Made me a little queasy looking at it.

Personally, I heart that saddle.

manet
12-18-2006, 06:28 PM
it'd be uglier as a level-top-tubed-bike cause there'd be more of it

stevep
12-18-2006, 06:29 PM
i want a bike that a racer like boonen may need....explain that eh?

obtuse

you want it obtuce...
but he needs it.

Simon Q
12-18-2006, 07:43 PM
I agree that C-Dale was actually starting to look traditional amongst alot of the goofy stuff out there but........We put together a new SystemSix and could not get over how disproportionate that thing is. The headtube looks like a Fosters can and the stays are pencil thin. The downtube is so big that the rider hits his calves on it constantly. But, so it goes. In five years it will fit right in.

Shame, hope that it is all for increased performance. I really dug the nude Lampre Caffita frames.

ergott
12-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Umm, that doesn't look like a team bike. It certainly doesn't look like his size. I could be wrong about this, but it simply looks like a Specialized model not a team issue. Campy is pretty strong about teams using Fulcrum or Campy wheels. $100 say he will never use those wheels, Spring classics or not.

ergott
12-18-2006, 07:54 PM
PS Quickstep is nowhere to be seen on that frame. Team frames have the team decals on them.

LegendRider
12-18-2006, 07:59 PM
PS Quickstep is nowhere to be seen on that frame. Team frames have the team decals on them.

Look again - there is a very small Quick Step logo on the fork.

ergott
12-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Look again - there is a very small Quick Step logo on the fork.

OMFG I just caught that from another site. Horrible. The pain.

ergott
12-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Another thing (I've been wrong before), I bet the bottle cages don't last very long on the bike. I had a pair and the seat-tube bottle kept falling through the bottom on a good bump. Pissed me off to no extent. They lasted 2 rides on my bike.

chrisroph
12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Another thing (I've been wrong before), I bet the bottle cages don't last very long on the bike. I had a pair and the seat-tube bottle kept falling through the bottom on a good bump. Pissed me off to no extent. They lasted 2 rides on my bike.

A good bottle cage is underrated. My favs are ciussi elite steel.

IXXI
12-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Amen on the good water bottle cage. I'm a convert of the new King Iris cages and would recommend getting a bazillion of them-- they are sweet. Solid and simple and classy and swoopy. Course they're made of that old skool material...what is it again?...oh yeah...*metal*... so they may not be for everyBoonen.

shinomaster
12-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Umm...that bike is for spiderman atmo...

pdxmech13
12-19-2006, 09:28 AM
but this model is a slap in the face to anyone that really thinks new technology is leaps and bounds better than old. Specialized really needs to evaluate there business approach, shut up and make bikes.

sorry not enough coffee this morning. :D

LegendRider
12-19-2006, 09:49 AM
but this model is a slap in the face to anyone that really thinks new technology is leaps and bounds better than old. Specialized really needs to evaluate there business approach, shut up and make bikes.

sorry not enough coffee this morning. :D

Why? Can you expand on that? I think it is very likely this bike is lighter, stiffer and probably stronger (except maybe cranks - see obtuse) than a pro bike from 15 years ago. Aesthetics is a different story...

pdxmech13
12-19-2006, 10:16 AM
lighter, stiffer, stronger.......really?

Fat Robert
12-19-2006, 10:37 AM
looks like a flippin cartoon

i don't care how well engineered it is

its hideous

LegendRider
12-19-2006, 11:08 AM
lighter, stiffer, stronger.......really?

Do you really think that bike technology hasn't advanced in 15 years such that frames for professionals AREN'T lighter, stiffer and stronger? Indurain rode a steel fork in 1992! LeMond was a the cutting edge at the 1991 Tour with a CarbonFrames (Calfee). There was no way it weighed 1000 grams like a Cervelo or Tarmac or Madone SL, etc. I'd wager that you could take the 2007 Tarmac and it would beat any bike ridden in the 1992 Tour in almost any metric of importance.

pdxmech13
12-19-2006, 02:55 PM
elastomer inserts please. I've eaten many hot poo sandwiches in my time but I really have little doubt that bike frames are better than 15 years ago. Who cares if a bike is lighter. The best rider is always going to be at the front plain and simple.

A good race bike is one that can be ridden all day comfortably. I think that its a shame people are dupped into the whole how much dose it way and how stiff is the bb.

Big Dan
12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Big Migs................. :)

Frustration
12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
elastomer inserts please. I've eaten many hot poo sandwiches in my time but I really have little doubt that bike frames are better than 15 years ago. Who cares if a bike is lighter. The best rider is always going to be at the front plain and simple.

A good race bike is one that can be ridden all day comfortably. I think that its a shame people are dupped into the whole how much dose it way and how stiff is the bb.

LMAO,

This is the place where we need a soundbite from Jack Nicolson in A Few Good Men... "You can't handle the...!"

The new Specialized is to bicycle looks what a Hollywood blvd Hooker is to women's looks (or men if your eddie murphy...). And just like the Hooker, it can get you off way quicker and easier that most of the "beautiful women" you would rather, well... ride. (or men if your Eddie Murphy).

Some of the modern bikes today are simply lighter and stiffer AND comfortable enough to ride all day...

We can climb on our high horse (of which this forum has many) and chant Dario, Ugo, Richard all dam day long...

It doesn't take away the fact that "soul" or not, there are some very nice modern bikes to be had.

oracle
12-20-2006, 01:14 AM
A good race bike is one that can be ridden all day comfortably.

i've been in alot of bike races, but never in one that lasted all day.

swoop
12-20-2006, 02:09 AM
i've been in alot of bike races, but never in one that lasted all day.

and frankly speaking in most races, especially long ones.. i'm in so much pain that you could shove the seat post up my a8ss and i wouldn't know from adam... so long as the bike goes where i want it to...

KJMUNC
12-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Gaudiness aside, I hear the team bikes, especially Boonen's, are being laid up with extra carbon and are estimated to be at least 15-20% stiffer than anything they're going to put on the market as their S-Works bikes (which are pretty darn stiff already.)

Is that stiff enough for ya?! :cool:

Oh wait, it's still ugly.

J.Greene
12-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Why? Can you expand on that? I think it is very likely this bike is lighter, stiffer and probably stronger (except maybe cranks - see obtuse) than a pro bike from 15 years ago. Aesthetics is a different story...

lighter absolutely yes, stiifer I don't know, stronger I doubt. I keep going back to the chainstay that LA cracked a few years back on the stage he went apoplectic. I'm not sure the crack would have happened from that impact to Indurains steel bike.

JG

gt6267a
12-20-2006, 08:18 AM
lighter absolutely yes, stiifer I don't know, stronger I doubt. I keep going back to the chainstay that LA cracked a few years back on the stage he went apoplectic. I'm not sure the crack would have happened from that impact to Indurains steel bike.

JG

i am with you in the sentiment that the superiority of carbon is questionable.

for this particular incident, i don't know if the example works, at least for me. plenty of people have crashed carbon bikes, gotten up and ridden on like it never happened. no damage to the frame.

carbon cracks, steel bends. if i remember properly he came down pretty hard. you never know, if it was steel, he might have bent the chain stay instead of cracking it. depending on the bend, the wheel might hit either one of the chain stays. in that case, he would not have continued on a slightly weaker bike, he would have not continued at all. might have cost him the tour.

J.Greene
12-20-2006, 08:31 AM
i am with you in the sentiment that the superiority of carbon is questionable.

for this particular incident, i don't know if the example works, at least for me. plenty of people have crashed carbon bikes, gotten up and ridden on like it never happened. no damage to the frame.

carbon cracks, steel bends. if i remember properly he came down pretty hard. you never know, if it was steel, he might have bent the chain stay instead of cracking it. depending on the bend, the wheel might hit either one of the chain stays. in that case, he would not have continued on a slightly weaker bike, he would have not continued at all. might have cost him the tour.

to my eyes the crash did not look like it would bend a chainstay, but not being there.........

I didn't mean to infer carbon is or is not superior. I'll just come out and say that I think bikes that are built to race on less than a season are not what the majority of the population really needs.

JG

swoop
12-20-2006, 08:54 AM
mp. it aint the material.. it's what you do with it and how you use it.

pdxmech13
12-20-2006, 09:10 AM
I hate bikes,
never will I
ride one again
regardless
of frame
material !

Grant McLean
12-20-2006, 09:28 AM
LMAO,

Some of the modern bikes today are simply lighter and stiffer AND comfortable enough to ride all day...

We can climb on our high horse (of which this forum has many) and chant Dario, Ugo, Richard all dam day long...

It doesn't take away the fact that "soul" or not, there are some very nice modern bikes to be had.

and this specialized is still ugly. all your points notwithstanding....

g

Fat Robert
12-20-2006, 09:32 AM
The new Specialized is to bicycle looks what a Hollywood blvd Hooker is to women's looks (or men if your eddie murphy...). And just like the Hooker, it can get you off way quicker and easier that most of the "beautiful women" you would rather, well... ride.

and leave you with crotch rot and buyer's remorse

(depending on your saddle and chammy)

Frustration
12-20-2006, 05:56 PM
and this specialized is still ugly. all your points notwithstanding....

g

Then why not quote my entire post?

or did you just choose to ignore my line that said

"The new Specialized is to bicycle looks what a Hollywood blvd Hooker is to women's looks (or men if your eddie murphy...). "