PDA

View Full Version : Ride reports...

Tom
12-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Nothing earth shattering about this, just some mundanities.

I bought some big heavy Kevlar belted Continental tires last winter because I don't like changing flats in the cold. They do ride like tractor tires but they proved their worth this weekend when I went right over two broken bottles. Crunch crunch crunch, oh crap. The first time, nothing stuck. The second time, I picked a giant shard out of the side that would have cut a Pro Race right in two. These suffered a little scratch.

I don't like 25mph headwinds, especially if I'm wearing a jacket.

I do like 25mph tailwinds, especially if I'm wearing a jacket.

I like riding on a lazy day when I don't care how fast I'm going or when I'm getting home.

I don't mind 45 degree weather this late in the year but I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong.

What possessed me to ride Ksyriums every ride all summer? Even with giant rock tires on them the Open Pros are buttery. I have to figure those with a set of Michelins are my long distance wheels until a pair of Neutrons follows me home.

dave thompson
12-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Sunday, post-storm, was brilliantly clear and sunny (CAVU for you pilots) 17 degrees at noon, so naturally my wife and I went for a ride. Our first one in almost a month. Had to do about 25 miles just to justify the time it took to suit up for the ride!

Kevan
12-18-2006, 10:49 AM
winter pacing at 16 mph avg. Finally, a relaxing ride with the guys.

Skrawny
12-18-2006, 12:20 PM
My team/group had a skills clinic with a few pros. Did some great tempo pacelining & other skills, and rode a total of 80 miles in the Nicasio area. No rain, but it was pretty cold (by West Coast standards). I rode harder than I have in months and was pretty messed up but I learned a lot and had a blast.
-s

konstantkarma
12-18-2006, 10:32 PM
It is pretty hilly around here, and I've been riding my new (to me) CSI that came with a 42-23 as the smallest gear. My other bike runs a compact, so the CSI is an interesting switch. I have been riding flatter routes on busy highways with wide shoulders. It feels good to set a constant pace and just cruise. My biggest problem has been that I keep dressing too warm for the unseasonable weather. I have been ending each ride with a wad of removed clothing stuffed in my jersey pockets.

Jack Brunk
12-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Last two weeks I have done 300 miles on my fixed gear bikes. What a great time and such a different workout. Yesterday I did 60 miles on my Meivici and it felt so easy and fun. Fixed gear riding has been the best addition to my cycling pleasure in a long time. The Serotta fixie rocks!!

Jack

Simon Q
12-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Last two weeks I have done 300 miles on my fixed gear bikes. What a great time and such a different workout. Yesterday I did 60 miles on my Meivici and it felt so easy and fun. Fixed gear riding has been the best addition to my cycling pleasure in a long time. The Serotta fixie rocks!!

Jack

The Meivici still up there in the rankings amongst your stable? I would LOVE to try one...

Jack Brunk
12-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes the Meivici is still the top ranked bike. I always have a demo policy with any of my bikes, so if your in the LA area give me a PM.

J

bironi
12-18-2006, 10:54 PM

Jack

What gear inches are you running, and what is the terraine? I'm running 68 gi's, and our terraine is a mix of hilly and mostly flat routes. I've been on my fixed for about six months now, and feel the same about a new found cycling joy. :beer:
Byron

Jack Brunk
12-18-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm running 42x17 on the serotta and 39x17 on the C40. I haven't used it yet but I put a 20 tooth freewheel on the Serotta just in case. I have very little flat riding around my area. Most of my riding is up or down.

J

rwsaunders
12-19-2006, 09:08 AM
We've gotten more miles in during the last four weeks than we had in the previous eight weeks. The weather in western PA has been unseasonably dry and warm. Just tell that to Mr. Gore.

I swear by the Gatorskins too. We have a lot of tar and chip roads, as well as the usual amount of road debris. They're a bit on the heavy side, but how light is a flat tire?

manet
12-21-2006, 05:19 PM

I bought some big heavy Kevlar belted Continental tires last winter because I don't like changing flats in the cold. They do ride like tractor tires but they proved their worth this weekend when I went right over two broken bottles. Crunch crunch crunch, oh crap. The first time, nothing stuck. The second time, I picked a giant shard out of the side that would have cut a Pro Race right in two. These suffered a little scratch.

my red atmo came rigged wid very lovely clinchers. after between say 6 or so flats on the rear tire, plus it's general worn appearance i decided to 'rotate' the tires.
(apologies to lost forumite BigMac, but performance these days is limited to more intimate activities)
half way through the tire swap i noticed the front tire, while still looking mighty fine, had a tread section of say 2" that was delaminated from the side wall. oh well.

scrounging around my bins o'bike crap i came across 2 new specialized armadillos (25s) that i had purchased as possible deerfield rubber...

with 90#s of clean jersey city air in 'em they have proved themselves to be pretty comfy tank treads.
and i like the styling way they look in profile on the red rig.

wasfast
12-21-2006, 06:43 PM
The armadillo's are certainly puncture resistant but you really gotta pay attention as the handling is sketchy as can be. I reluctantly put mine back on the rain bike after 3 flats on "normal" tires in 3 rides.

Kevan
12-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Any of yous noticing the motor vehicles behaving like yellow jackets before the first killer frost? Man...talk about cranky!

I'm not so certain the riding is really worth while until the shopping days have passed. This afternoon's romp included a shouting match between my buddy, myself and this driver rolling down his window and yelling at us to ride single file. The fact was, we were! Honestly!

I did notice my pal was spending more of his time hugging the shoulder's edge and I was travelling more the white line, so from behind the drive might have the perception that we were travelling side-by-side, when in fact we weren't. Anyway, I screamed at the guy and he screamed at me then he drove up a little further up and did the same with my pal and then drove off in disgust. A good time was had by all.

Be careful out there until Santa's delivered.

manet
12-21-2006, 08:26 PM
i found 20 bucks on today's ride _ 2 fives + 1 ten.

BillyBear
12-21-2006, 09:42 PM
...what's a ride?

bironi
12-21-2006, 09:57 PM
I want a photo! :beer: ;)

Grant McLean
12-21-2006, 11:30 PM

Over the years, I've found a lot of money on the ground.
It must come from looking for glass shards to avoid or something.

A couple of months ago I found $140 (1 hundred + 2 twenties)
and before that, on a rainy day there was $60 ( 3 twenties )
stuck on the yellow line in the center of the road (when i was
stopping to wait to make a left. Looked down, there is was.)

g

konstantkarma
12-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Any of yous noticing the motor vehicles behaving like yellow jackets before the first killer frost? Man...talk about cranky!

I have almost been in 2 serious accidents in my car in the past 36 hours. Both times it was due to a 60ish woman turning left out of a rural T intersection into my lane :no: . In each case, there were clear lines of sight, and I was travelling about 50mph in a 45 mph zone. Also, I always drive with my headlights on, day or night!

It's either the bad psychological karma surrounding the shortest days of the year (yesterday), or the fact that these ladies are totally preoccupied.

In either case, it is scary!

Be careful out there!