PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Switch from Ultegra to Force?

SteveV0983
08-13-2019, 06:39 PM
I’ve been using a form of Ultegra since STI came out, starting with 600, then Ultegra 6500, 6600, and now 6700 and it always served me well. But my 6700 is getting pretty old and I was considering going to Force just for a change. When I bought my current bike in 2012, I had a demo for a week wih Force on it and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Aside from feeling it was a little louder and clunkier than Ultegra, it seemed pretty solid, and I took to the double tap with no problem. So has anyone made this switch (or vice versa)? Happy? Regrets? I’d be interested in any feedback. By the way, it will be mechanical and rim brake. It may sound archaic, but I just don’t trust electric. Plus I just feel there is something classic and comfortable about using a cable to pull a derailleur.

godfrey1112000
08-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Red was good but never looked back

Did tear up a RD on a climb in Utah they replaced it with no charge good CS

I’ve been using a form of Ultegra since STI came out, starting with 600, then Ultegra 6500, 6600, and now 6700 and it always served me well. But my 6700 is getting pretty old and I was considering going to Force just for a change. When I bought my current bike in 2012, I had a demo for a week wih Force on it and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Aside from feeling it was a little louder and clunkier than Ultegra, it seemed pretty solid, and I took to the double tap with no problem. So has anyone made this switch (or vice versa)? Happy? Regrets? I’d be interested in any feedback. By the way, it will be mechanical and rim brake. It may sound archaic, but I just don’t trust electric. Plus I just feel there is something classic and comfortable about using a cable to pull a derailleur.

jtbadge
08-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Both very good. I had both at the same time and eventually sold my Force 22 group after a couple of seasons to get a second Ultegra 6800 group. I ended up preferring the hood shape of 6800, and it has been an uber reliable groupset for me on multiple builds.

But, ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. No reason not to try it!

floxy1
08-13-2019, 07:01 PM
My .02. If you want to go 1x Force 1 is superb. If 2x I prefer Ultegra. I have 8000 on my road bike and it works really well, even with oval rings. I have force 1 hrd on my gravel bike and have had zero issues (knocking on wood since gravel worlds this weekend). For the mechanical group I also prefer the shape of ultegra hoods.

gavingould
08-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Force 1x on one bike, Ultegra Di2 on another. both fine

SteveV0983
08-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. It would be 2x and although I like the idea of a change, a larger part of me says why switch when I have literally never had a problem with Ultegra in almost 30 years.

bcroslin
08-13-2019, 09:04 PM
I ride etap Red and Ultegra 8000 and if I was looking at mechanical groups I wouldn’t buy SRAM. OTOH, if going electronic I wouldn’t go Shimano over etap or AXS. Shimano does mechanical so well I wouldn’t do anything else unless you got a killer deal on Super Record and even then I’d still probably go with Dura Ace.

I hope that makes sense. :rolleyes:

scoobydrew
08-13-2019, 10:42 PM
I ride etap Red and Ultegra 8000 and if I was looking at mechanical groups I wouldn’t buy SRAM. OTOH, if going electronic I wouldn’t go Shimano over etap or AXS. Shimano does mechanical so well I wouldn’t do anything else unless you got a killer deal on Super Record and even then I’d still probably go with Dura Ace.

I hope that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Agree with this. I rented a bike with Ultegra R8000 while on vacation and the shifts were crisp and effortless. For what it's worth I have varying levels of mechanical SRAM on all of my bikes (Red, Force, Rival). If only my hands fit the Shimano hoods a bit better.

simonov
08-14-2019, 04:57 AM
I switched from DA to Force 22 and never looked back. Most people I know who dislike SRAM front shifting just have their FD set up incorrectly. I ended up back on Ultegra for one bike and regret it. It's a personal preference thing for the most part. Double tap really works for me and I much prefer it to the dual action shift/brake lever on Shimano.

oldpotatoe
08-14-2019, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. It would be 2x and although I like the idea of a change, a larger part of me says why switch when I have literally never had a problem with Ultegra in almost 30 years.

Then CHANGE..Centaur or Potenza 11s..ayup!!:)

FlashUNC
08-14-2019, 08:46 AM
Shimano or Campagnolo for mechanical. SRAM for electronic.

Moyboy
08-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Moved from 9170 to Sram Red Axs, only thing i miss is the hood buttons to change screens on the computer. Other than that, no issues and much cleaner. Just have to charge more often the batteries.

chiasticon
08-14-2019, 09:10 AM
I'd say stick with Ultegra. I've got 6800 on one bike, Force 1X on two and Chorus on another. the Ultegra literally "just works." perfectly. every time. with no maintenance or fussing over it. I've had Force 22 in the past and yes it worked great, but there'd be a little mis-shift or hiccup every now and then (in the front, rear is perfect), likewise with Chorus. I LOVE the lack of trim on the Sram Yaw FD, as I hate having to trim both Chorus and Ultegra; small price to pay for better overall shifting from Ultegra though...

that said, I do prefer the feel and the shifting mechanics of both Campy and Sram, over Shimano. so I understand enjoying that and wanting to change things up. whenever I think of doing that I just remember that it's only a few more months before I'm exclusively riding a bike with a different group!