PDA

View Full Version : What parts should I use on my next Zank?

shinomaster
08-12-2019, 09:33 PM
So I'm getting a new Zanoconato Aluminum road bike in the next few months. I currently have this NOS Campy. group in my closet collecting dust, along with a new 2016 Chorus 11 group which I bought to replace the 10 speed Centaur parts on my old cross bike ( also a Zank). I Still think these shifters and derailleurs are among the most beautiful Campy has made. Part of me wants to trick this thing out with the lightest, newest stuff like the new Dura Ace 9001 for example. I'm starting to like the new Record group's aesthetics too, but I'm slightly disappointing by the weight penalty and price. I haven't used Shimano since the year 2000!! I know it's come a long way and is probably superior to Record.
Another part of me wants to ride this all year round, and in Portland that means in the rain and crappy weather. That's why I'm thinking chorus would be ideal... Another part of me wants to use this old Super Record group. Does it work as well as the 2016 Record? Will Ceramic Bearings hold up in the rain and inclement weather as well as the steel kind? It seems to nice to trash. Maybe I should sell it on ebay? What does the collective think?
P.S. I don't care for the looks of the 2014 Campy compact cranks.. prefer four arm etc.

Cicli
08-12-2019, 09:38 PM
New Record 12
Or 10 speed Chorus for that alloy look.

shinomaster
08-12-2019, 09:39 PM
New Record 12
Or 10 speed Chorus for that alloy look.

I've been using Chorus/ Record/ Centaur Ten Speed since 2000 and am done.

Clean39T
08-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Need a little more detail on the Zank..

The only case where I'd spec a custom with mechanical and rim brakes is full steel (steel frame/fork). Otherwise it'd be Di2 or EPS and hydro disc. If you're planning to ride through the winter here, Di2 and disc just makes the most sense - and while 9170 is gorgeous, I'd pick R8070 and save the extra dollars for two sets of wheels, or spares (cassettes/chains) that are going to take a beating in the rain - or a second front wheel with a dynamo.

shinomaster
08-12-2019, 11:25 PM
Need a little more detail on the Zank..

The only case where I'd spec a custom with mechanical and rim brakes is full steel (steel frame/fork). Otherwise it'd be Di2 or EPS and hydro disc. If you're planning to ride through the winter here, Di2 and disc just makes the most sense - and while 9170 is gorgeous, I'd pick R8070 and save the extra dollars for two sets of wheels, or spares (cassettes/chains) that are going to take a beating in the rain - or a second front wheel with a dynamo.

Thanks for the sound and very understandable advice. I'm 45 and still pretty analog, and my tastes were formed in the 90's and early 2000's. I kinda can't stomach the aesthetics of some of the new bike as functional as they might be. I'll also ride this bike in the summer of course, probably for the most part too. I just decided I didn't want to mess with discs and rotors and new wheels when I already have a superb collection of campy mavic and fulcrum rim wheels which should last me another 15- 20 years at least. I might move back to Massachusetts in the next few years too. From what I remember it only snows there.. for now... :banana:

joosttx
08-12-2019, 11:37 PM
axs!

Clean39T
08-13-2019, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the sound and very understandable advice. I'm 45 and still pretty analog, and my tastes were formed in the 90's and early 2000's. I kinda can't stomach the aesthetics of some of the new bike as functional as they might be. I'll also ride this bike in the summer of course, probably for the most part too. I just decided I didn't want to mess with discs and rotors and new wheels when I already have a superb collection of campy mavic and fulcrum rim wheels which should last me another 15- 20 years at least. I might move back to Massachusetts in the next few years too. From what I remember it only snows there.. for now... :banana:

I hear you ........... you can't really go wrong either way, it's just a matter of uncovering what you most value.. Take care of the components, and they'll last. That SR kit will look great. And its better to use it than let it sit around.

Clean39T
08-13-2019, 12:04 AM
inxs!

Dream, baby, dream
Of all that's come and going
And you will find out, in the end
There really is
There really is no difference

shinomaster
08-13-2019, 01:03 AM
Dream, baby, dream
Of all that's come and going
And you will find out, in the end
There really is
There really is no difference

True.

AJosiahK
08-13-2019, 01:18 AM
I would try the newest D/A Di2 imho

Wasn’t a huge fan of the etap when it came out but the Axis could be cool too.

R3awak3n
08-13-2019, 05:37 AM
Just do 11 speed chorus- record and be done with it. Keep the 5 arm crank. Maybe snazz it up by upgrading the brakes to EE.

NateM
08-13-2019, 09:13 AM
If you are going to ride year round in the rain, no to SR with ceramic bearings.I am currently running that crank and it developed the infamous creak, clunk after 1k miles or so due to crappy tolerances.Google this issue and explore the fixes, all are fairly difficult and none will result in good bearing life.You may be lucky and your crank will remain silent over time but the bearings will foul quickly in rain and grit. I actually prefer the look of the 5 arm over the newer 4 arm.

FlashUNC
08-13-2019, 09:24 AM
eTap AXS.

dgauthier
08-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Rain and crappy weather calls for durability and reasonable replacement part prices, so go with Chorus.

Ttx1
08-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Campy SR11 was the best, most reliable group I've used. Many Ks of miles with SR11 on my FF without a problem, and barely any sign of wear. Crisp, and almost silent with basic maintenance which I generally performed myself.

I presently have Chorus 11 on my Spooky, also crisp and near silent.

I took a chance on DA for my new FF. It was an impulse decision, but easy to rationalize - much easier to deal with Shimano when traveling almost anywhere, relatively good value for the $ compared to Campy, and... available. Campy 12 was just trickling out when my FF was ready, and there was no clear availability date for the disc groups at that point - mech or elec. So I went with a mostly DA build (Ultegra RD for the clutch, XTR for pedals and rotors). Shimano was also a bit more on point re: gearing for allroad bikes at the time, which also influenced my decision, after a few years of kludging a Chorus 11 + Wolftooth solution on another bike - which was perfectly functional but not as crisp.

I've been somewhat reluctant to post about my experience, because it seems too precious - maybe even crazy - to criticize DA vs. Campy, sort of like "I don't enjoy The French Laundry as much as the original Le Cirque in NYC" or something like that - where both options are, objectively, exceptional.

That said, I will look to replace the DA Di2 group at some point. I don't like the sounds it makes when pedaling or coasting, I don't like the sound it makes when it auto trims the front der, I don't like the feel of the hoods, the finish on the cranks wears easily, the plastic cover on the FD cracked, etc etc.

It's all relatively minor stuff that doesn't really impact my ability to enjoy a ride. In fairness, the electronic shifts are shockingly fast and accurate, and the hydro braking is exceptionally strong and well modulated (when not making hideous grinding and/or squealing noises when the slightest bit of moisture is in the air).

It really comes down to personal preference and expectations. I primarily ride solo, and I like a near-silent bike so that I can hear cars approach and feel connected to my surroundings. On those occasions when I ride with company, I want to be able to easily converse when pedaling or coasting. I won't run King or I9 hubs, for example and I simply don't like a noisy drivetrain.

DA isn't noisy per se, but the drivetrain makes a sort of humm or buzz that I do not experience with Campy. I don't love it, but it's not bad...

I truly hate the design of the Shimano disc calipers, and I think their approach to thermal management is flawed on several levels. Both SRAM and Campy systems are better from a basic design POV.

Ultimately, Shimano doesn't give a sh*t about custom builders, about the LBS, or about the people - their end users - who support these channels. They are squarely focused on the OEM market, full stop. The idea that Shimano's stamped parts (chainrings, rotors) and plastic parts (pretty much everything) are top end is simply the emperor's new bike parts.

Long story short, if I could do it all over again I would go with Campy 12 for any type of build - Caliper or Disc. Mech or Elec.

I look forward to upgrading at some point because everything else about the new FF is perfect.

tv_vt
08-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Guess I'd vote for the NOS Record group you have on hand. If that group can't deal with a little OR winter weather, I'd be surprised. It's pro quality stuff, meant for all sorts of crappy conditions.

If you don't like the crank, can always switch it out for something you like.

PS. for my Zanc aluminum (new in May) I went w/Shimano. DA 11 shifters and Ultegra chain, FD, RD, cassette, and a Praxis crank. But I've never had a show bike (ie. a Campy bike...).

shinomaster
08-13-2019, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I realize that I can't go wrong with any modern groupset as they all work so well. This is the best road bike I have ever had and I love the way the record 11 functions. I guess a six option would be sell the 2014 stuff to buy an on-sale 2016 SR group :banana:

Climb01742
08-14-2019, 05:40 AM
Have you asked Mike if he has any thoughts/recco?

As someone who's had many Shimano equipped bikes and exactly one Campy group for a short time years ago, I'd say...Campy. The frame will be special. You've waited awhile for it. While Shimano stuff is efficiency personified, Campy is, well, special. Even a Shimano guy has to admit that.;)