PDA

View Full Version : Do you or don't you

pdxmech13
12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I make a point to say Hi or something like it to whom ever I see when riding. This morning I found myself fixing a flat tire on a small honda.

Louis
12-17-2006, 09:40 PM
There really aren't too many cyclists out where I ride, and I probably average one to two sightings per ride. I usually say "Hi" but sometimes just wave. Quite often I'll wave at those motorcyle guys and I'd guess that at least 75% of them wave back. Maybe 5% of the cyclists I see, for whatever reason, don't wave back or say anything...

When driving and meeting cyclists I often flash my lights and wave in hopes of making somebody else's ride have what I hope they interpret as a "good" encounter with a car...

rwsaunders
12-17-2006, 09:52 PM
We saw 8 other cyclists this morning and we shouted out words of encouragement. We always make a point to greet other cyclists, runners, walkers and even the dogs on our routes. It's a small world, so you might as well take the time to possibly make someone's day.

My personal favorite happened several years ago as we approached a pack of runners on a route in the park. A salutation from one of the runners.."Watch out guys, here come the rich people on wheels."

Tailwinds
12-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Of course!

onekgguy
12-18-2006, 12:01 AM
i can tell you that without question the riders least likely to acknowledge your presence in the twin cities metro are those in st. paul. i can ride anywhere around the 7 county area and not notice a difference from one area to the next until i get to st. paul. i can't explain it but i can tell you this...i too have stopped waving when i'm riding through st. paul. why bother? i know that's not an answer to the lousy status quo but it's the best i've got.

Kevin

bironi
12-18-2006, 12:19 AM
At least a nod. :beer:

m_moses
12-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Yes, it's the friendly thing to do.

William
12-18-2006, 05:07 AM
Always.
Not always reciprocated though....but hey, so what. You never know until you try.

William

A.L.Breguet
12-18-2006, 05:30 AM
I see a lot of people on 9W, and I wave a lot. More often than not, I get no response. I always say hello when I pass or get passed. This too results in a pretty low response rate. I keep trying, though.
Seems the response rate goes up the worse the weather is.
Just my observations.

William
12-18-2006, 05:35 AM
I see a lot of people on 9W, and I wave a lot. More often than not, I get no response. I always say hello when I pass or get passed. This too results in a pretty low response rate. I keep trying, though.
Seems the response rate goes up the worse the weather is.
Just my observations.

Once in a blue moon when I'm in one of "those" moods, I'll actually turn around and chase down a rider who turns their nose up to me when I wave. Always gives them a start. I say hi, which then usually always gets a response, then pass and turn around up ahead and get going back on my way. ;)

William

Kevan
12-18-2006, 06:09 AM
but I suspect it's a dying tradition, there simply too many of us to keep nodding to. All those golfers who switched out their clubs for cranks have flooded the roadways here. A.L.B.'s reference to 9W, a common cycling roadway, is a likely classic example of this happening, plus an added dose of New York City attitude to boot.

ejh
12-18-2006, 06:11 AM
when ever i see another rider. Eric

Kevin
12-18-2006, 06:41 AM
My side of the road I say hi, the other side I wave.

Kevin

dauwhe
12-18-2006, 06:57 AM
I say "hi" or wave to every cyclist I see, from racer-boy packs to "I lost my driver's license" commuters to little kids.

Perhaps 25% return the greeting. And no, not all of the other 75% are doing intervals! :)

Dave

Elefantino
12-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Peace sign, always.

victoryfactory
12-18-2006, 07:49 AM
I love to greet other cyclists on the road, and I always do it.
Generally I get a response, but not always.

Before you get put off by the non friendlies out there and stop trying,
consider two things:

Sometimes ,while riding you are concentrated on your own path so fiercely
that you truely don't notice another rider on the other side of the road.
and
In some highly traveled routes (like NY's 9W mentioned above) some riders
get past the habit of acknowledging every other rider because it's just too
much! After all, when your on a group ride do you wave to everyone constantly?

VF

gt6267a
12-18-2006, 07:58 AM
my side, i alway say high and start a convo, there are so few bikers around here that this is reasonable. other side, wave. and of course, if i see a rider on the side of the road, "ya ok, need anything?"

Chad Engle
12-18-2006, 09:21 AM
I do "the wave". Both hands off the bars and raised in the air. :beer:

Benjamin
12-18-2006, 09:53 AM
too many cyclists in this city to wave all the time, but when you're out riding in a desolate area on a cold night and you come across another rider, a wave is nice.

lots of fixed gear guys give each other the nod.

ti_boi
12-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Nod and a smile....waving isn't possible when you are as out of shape as I am :rolleyes:

thejen12
12-19-2006, 04:04 PM
A wave to those on the other side of the road, and a "Good Morning" or "Good afternoon" to those who I pass or who pass me. And if I see the same person more than twice going my way, I'll make a point to introduce myself. :beer:

Jenn

Fixed
12-19-2006, 07:38 PM
bro we have something in common with the poor who ride their bikes for transportation .
some of these cats love to ride as much we do, and have bike skills that are great for city riding .imho
cheers

manet
12-19-2006, 07:47 PM
with gloves on i lift an index finger. with lobster mitts on i lift an index + middle finger.

catulle
12-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I make a point to say Hi or something like it to whom ever I see when riding. This morning I found myself fixing a flat tire on a small honda.

Did you get her phone number, atmo...?

Ginger
12-19-2006, 08:35 PM
yes. nod, wave, salute, "hi" whichever is applicable when conditions allow.

and I wave at the little kids in their front yards...and laugh with the ones who are racing me on the sidewalk....and the ones who call out "hey Lance."

Yeah...

The kids are fun.

DarkStar
12-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Depends on the type of ride. If I'm riding hard the best you can hope for is a wave, nod, or the ocassional hello. If their traveling in the same direction and I'm just goofing off, good chance of striking up a conversation. :beer:

Dan Le foot
12-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I always do.
Most will return the greeting. Some, who are deep in their own thoughts, won't respond. But only because they didn't notice my greeting.
Dan

pdxmech13
12-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Did you get her phone number, atmo...?

outta my league (2 kids in the car) :D

BillyBear
12-19-2006, 11:08 PM
...funny lead in...thought you were going to ask something like...wear briefs under your shorts?

bironi
12-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Smile :beer:

ThasFACE
12-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Being a native New Yorker, it has not historically been my habit to greet people on bikes or otherwise. But, having spent the last couple of years in the polite confines of Lexington, VA, I find myself greeting people always. It's weird.

Bud
12-20-2006, 07:43 AM
I always wave or say "'sup?" or "how's it goin'?"

stevep
12-20-2006, 07:46 AM
i always say hi or something.

Kevan
12-20-2006, 09:06 AM
are somewhat popular in these parts and there's nothing like riding up behind some poor unsuspecting Calfee rider and call out, "What an ugly bike!", as I proceed to ride up alongside. I sometimes get greeted with a curled lip as the person then glances down at my bike's downtube and breaks into a grin. Makes for a nice ice breaker.

Do the same with Serotta riders when riding my Serotta, but the color of my bike generally keeps that person's curled lip in place. Either that or they burst out laughing at me.

zank
12-20-2006, 09:11 AM
A wave to those on the other side of the road, and a "Good Morning" or "Good afternoon" to those who I pass or who pass me. And if I see the same person more than twice going my way, I'll make a point to introduce myself. :beer:

Jenn

Mental note, when in Santa Clara, be sure to cross paths with every woman on a bike at least twice. That way, I may get to meet Jenn. :)

And yes, I wave and/or say hello to every rider/runner/walker I see.

mosca
12-20-2006, 10:56 AM
I do "the wave". Both hands off the bars and raised in the air. :beer:

BURCH
12-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Always give a wave, head nod, or verbal hello depending on the lungs and road conditions. Only time that i don't do anything is when I can hear a car coming right up beside me. I prefer to concentrate a little extra at that point.