PDA

View Full Version : OT leaving stuff at hotel

Kingfisher
08-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Ok, I'm all for personal responsibility and it is entirely my wife and I's fault, but we inadvertently left a bag in the shuttle vehicle that took us back to hotel after a flight back from California. We got in our car and halfway back I asked wife to ensure we remembered the bag.......she forgot and left it on the shuttle.
Called the hotel, yes the driver found it and brought it in to the front desk and they had it in their possession. I told them I'd arrange ups or fedex pickup the next day.

Well, after almost two weeks of going back and forth they have lost it. Bag contained two books (don't care about the books) but also contained Bose noise cancelling earbuds...around $250.

Anyone have similar experience/solution? Could care less about the books but the Bose is a different story.

seanile
08-12-2019, 04:17 PM
if you have record of them saying initially they have it, then it sounds like it's been stolen by an employee of the hotel.
you can: file a police report, and/or file a claim with your renter's/homeonwner's insurance.
not much else available.

eddief
08-12-2019, 04:18 PM
they found it and charged me a ridiculous amount to mail it back. in other words, pretty sure they made a small profit on my loss.

Tickdoc
08-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Ok, I'm all for personal responsibility and it is entirely my wife and I's fault, but we inadvertently left a bag in the shuttle vehicle that took us back to hotel after a flight back from California. We got in our car and halfway back I asked wife to ensure we remembered the bag.......she forgot and left it on the shuttle.
Called the hotel, yes the driver found it and brought it in to the front desk and they had it in their possession. I told them I'd arrange ups or fedex pickup the next day.

Well, after almost two weeks of going back and forth they have lost it. Bag contained two books (don't care about the books) but also contained Bose noise cancelling earbuds...around $250.

Anyone have similar experience/solution? Could care less about the books but the Bose is a different story.

My son left his iPad in a mediocre best western in Paris when on a supervised trip at 12yoa. He had come down with a cold or virus and Called me crying that he left it in the room and was on to the next town on a tour bus.

I had him call the hotel to check to see if they found it.

Can you guess how this turns out?

I called the hotel the next day and spoke to the manager. They were very gracious and the iPad made it back home before him! I think it cost about $60 to ship but I was amazed that it was claimed and returned.

On the flip side, I left a pair of my wife’s favorite shoes under the bed in a hotel in Chicago twenty years ago and I still haven’t heard the end of it.

parris
08-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Tic... nor will you ever!

Pinned
08-12-2019, 06:16 PM
I left a shirt at a hotel once, nothing special but would have been worth the $8 USPS label to get it back - hotel refused to accept my label and would only offer to ship it themselves for $40. It's always the higher end hotels that nickel and dime like that. Left the shirt there.

fmradio516
08-12-2019, 06:31 PM
an ex of mine left our brand new DSLR camera with all of our pictures from our Hawaii trip on the seat of the plane on the flight back. We got off the plane, started walking through the terminal, and about 15 mins later, we realize. Ran back to the gate and the cleaning crew was finishing up. They claimed that there was no camera. A different situation because it could have been any other passenger that was behind us, if they happen to look in our row.

Blue Jays
08-12-2019, 08:15 PM
Friend forgot her Rolex watch on bedside table at a domestic high-end hotel chain.
She returned within 15 minutes of check-out and hours before new guest check-in.

They claimed it "was not there" upon investigating room.
Yeah, like it just vaporized. :mad:

She should have returned to the room and telephoned them from there.
Letting them walk away from the front desk to "contact security" was her mistake.

rounder
08-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Traveling with my work I have left numerous things in my room including sweaters, etc. Never anything expensive. I would call the hotel when I found out and was always told that nothing was found. But, the last thing I left behind was a shaving kit (Dopp Kit) at a hotel in SC. I called them and was told...oh yeah we have it, and I made arrangements for it to be returned. It seemed like they returned stuff to guests about once per week. I received it about a week later and the postage was about what I could have replaced everything new for.

old fat man
08-12-2019, 08:42 PM
I left a sports coat at a hotel. They wanted $30 to mail it back even as a platinum member. I left a quality water bottle at a courtyard Marriott and they held it behind the desk for 2 weeks until I was back again.

Peter P.
08-12-2019, 08:50 PM
The hospitality industry is a low paying profession. They have to make it up somewhere...

Hellgate
08-12-2019, 09:07 PM
When my son was 2 we left his purple teddy at the Embassy Suites in Arcadia. We called, and PT was back in Austin a few days later. I think the postage was no cost.

sitzmark
08-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Little different experience many years ago in a Baltimore harbor hotel. Last morning of stay I showered and went downstairs for breakfast. Left my wedding ring on bedside table - gone when I returned. Room had been fully serviced eventho I hadn’t yet checked out. Told the front desk of the missing ring when I checked out. Senior manager took it seriously and said he would investigate. I had a plane to catch. Never expected to get the ring back, but received a call the next day saying they had recovered the ring.

Unfortunately the maid staff admitted to taking it, saying she thought I left it as a gratuity. Felt bad that she was fired for her honesty, but management had little choice in that scenario. Ring was FedEx’d overnite at no cost.

seanile
08-12-2019, 10:06 PM
That wasn’t honesty, that was a poorly constructed lie
LUnfortunately the maid staff admitted to taking it, saying she thought I left it as a gratuity..

Louis
08-12-2019, 10:34 PM

Yeah - if she wanted to give it back she should have said something like "Let me look around the room - maybe it fell and rolled under the dresser, or something like that." At least that would have given her plausible deniability.

sitzmark
08-13-2019, 04:39 AM

Agreed the "reason" wasn't believable - well maybe if it had been in a box with a bow and thank you note - but she could have denied seeing it and no one could have proved otherwise. She didn't. I looked everywhere in the room, so there wasn't a credible "under the bed story". Never met her during the stay or after, so I have no context of her circumstances - just dishonest or in a desperate financial situation ... will never know.

Peter P.
08-13-2019, 04:51 AM
The wedding band "turned up" likely because it was an item of very personal nature, and there was at least a morsel of guilt or responsibility in the finder.

Items of a more generic origin would more often tend to go missing, in my opinion.

Ttx1
08-13-2019, 05:24 AM
Left some sandals in the Sherman Oaks Marriott.

They found them.

Then they lost them.

Then they offered me many Marriott points, which I accepted...

pdonk
08-13-2019, 06:00 AM
I have left a brand new suit at a budget hotel in East Rutherford NJ. Realized 2 days later. Called. They checked and they had it. They held it for a few days until I was passing through and I left a tip for the cleaning staff.

Left a sport coat at an expensive resort in key west. Called 4 hrs later and they had new clue about it. Told them the value and it mysteriously showed up the next day. They cornered yo me.

I have left more half read books and socks than I can count. My wife now makes me leave room and she does a walk through.

AngryScientist
08-13-2019, 08:00 AM
I donate at least 5 cell phone chargers per year to Marriotts all over the country.

Just can’t remember the damn things it seems. I’ve never even bothered to try and recover one.

jm714
08-13-2019, 09:04 AM
My son left his hydro flask on a plane. He was out of the terminal when he realized it and went to the ticket counter. They found it but couldn’t get it to him before his shuttle left. So they asked for his CC# so they could ship it home. Being 17 he didn’t ask they ship it ground. They next day’d It for $50. It was a $40 bottle.

ColonelJLloyd
08-13-2019, 09:08 AM
I forgot my left-ear AirPod at a little AirBnB house weekend before last. The owner was super responsive, found it on the floor and mailed it back to me. I reimbursed them for the postage and another $20 for a drink on me (two drinks in that town).

uno-speedo
08-13-2019, 11:39 AM
Only positive experiences from me.

My buddy left his UK passport on a plane when he arrived into San Diego to visit me. They kindly let him board in SD and fly to LA to collect his passport on his return home to London.

I left my new blazer in a hotel in Seattle on Monday and they've found it :banana:

fmradio516
08-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Only positive experiences from me.

My buddy left his UK passport on a plane when he arrived into San Diego to visit me. They kindly let him board in SD and fly to LA to collect his passport on his return home to London.

I left my new blazer in a hotel in Seattle on Monday and they've found it :banana:

I think if those were an ipad and a set of nice headphones, you would have had different experiences :)

ElvisMerckx
08-13-2019, 12:02 PM
My now wife dropped her passport in the backseat of a car while we were hitchhiking through Norway back in the mid-90s. We didn't even know it until we got stopped by Norwegian police at a makeshift roadblock hundreds of miles from where she'd lost it. They asked for her by name, which shocked the driver who picked us up. Turns out, the driver of the car where she'd left it put out an ABP and even had someone from his company drive out to us in a company car to return the lost passport. He also chauffeured us another hundred miles or so. We were young and poor, and had nothing to return the favor, so we bought a carton of strawberries along the roadside and shared with him.