PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Recommendations for Gravel Bikes

cd_davis
08-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Have on order a Lynskey Ti Gravel Bike, delivery expected late August. Have a few old pairs of Shimano MTB SPD pedals sitting around.
From the Forum's experience, are there any particular pedals recommended for gravel bikes, other than MTB SPDs?
Thanks,
Chris

mktng
08-10-2019, 08:47 PM
do you walk alot or plan to walk gravel sections?
or just ride alot of mixed terrain.

i honestly just run my SPD-SL pedals on my "gravel" bike for most riding.

if i know it'll be messy. i swap to my time atac's (which imo are just as good as shimano mtb spd. it just so happens those pedals are the ones i have)

fa63
08-10-2019, 08:50 PM
SPD pedals all the way for me. Tried using SPD-SL pedals for a couple rides, and they were fine as long as I didn't have to dismount, but I feel better using SPDs on my rides.

ColonelJLloyd
08-10-2019, 08:51 PM
There are a good number of threads on the subject here.

Shimano A600 and A520 with Lake CX shoes personally.

HTupolev
08-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Have on order a Lynskey Ti Gravel Bike, delivery expected late August. Have a few old pairs of Shimano MTB SPD pedals sitting around.
From the Forum's experience, are there any particular pedals recommended for gravel bikes, other than MTB SPDs?
Thanks,
Chris
Run something that you like that won't get gummed up when you're off the bike. If you like SPDs, they're a great choice for pretty much any kind of bicycle.

Right now I run PD-A520 on my gravel bike. PD-A600 are basically the same thing but higher-end. They're an SPD pedal, but I think they feel a bit nicer to pedal than most other SPD designs, and they're lighter and have a more "road" aesthetic.

Tandem Rider
08-10-2019, 09:06 PM
I run Shimano M520 pedals on gravel, they are pretty cheap, work well, and they last as long as the nicer Shimanos. In my experience, gravel pedals get hammered pretty bad, the dust and grit combined with creek and river crossings destroys the bearings in a year or so. At 40ish bucks I don't feel bad about just pitching them and getting another pair when they die.

Malinois
08-10-2019, 09:11 PM
I’m using the XT PD-T8000’s on my Soma Double Cross. They’re easily the best dual-sided pedals I’ve ever used and make the Soma even more versatile.

AngryScientist
08-10-2019, 09:33 PM
For many years i just ran SPD-SLs on my gravel bike. Bunch of nasty terrain miles on those pedals, but a few step-offs in mud had me rethink my choice last year.

for a long time, i never felt really comfortable in mtb pedals, but i discovered that the reason is i was cheaping out on crappy mtb shoes. i figured that i rarely ride mtb pedals, so dont spend a lot of money on shoes. well, now that i have a nice set of mountain shoes with stuff soles that fit me well, i'm comfortable in mtb pedals.

anyway, i use spd based pedals. they just work.

Steve in SLO
08-10-2019, 11:45 PM
Time ATACs and Crank Bros have been good to me. I find them easier in mud to engage than SPDs.

FlashUNC
08-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Ditch the SPDs. Time ATACs.

tony_mm
08-11-2019, 02:30 AM
Mixed terrain: Time Xpresso
Gravel with dismount: Time ATAC

Why Time pedals? They are just the best for the knees (floating is better than Shimano).

robertbb
08-11-2019, 03:36 AM
No love for speedplay zero's?

R3awak3n
08-11-2019, 03:54 AM
I do SPD as well. New MTB shoes are very stiff, just like road shoes so Appart from being a little heavier you are not loosing a lot and when you have to walk its worth it. Also they dont get as easily clogged.

SlowPokePete
08-11-2019, 05:32 AM
I use Time ATAC's ... would think whatever your preferred MTB pedal is would work best. Not interested in destroying road cleats if I walk a bit.

Good luck with the Lynskey...I've put tons of miles on mine in 13 months and have no complaints...

SPP

moonhoo
08-11-2019, 06:10 AM
I use Speedplays light action pedals with their walkable cleat covers for everything.

I wouldn’t purposely walk into deep mud with them but otherwise I find them super versatile. Large contact area, easy to clip in and out of and I’ve never accidentally uncoupled once.

marciero
08-11-2019, 06:59 AM
mid-level Shimano XT, the ones with wide shoe-pedal contact. There is also an extra part of the cage extending front and rear but I dont think that does anything.

I like the A600 for more road-ish type rides. They are the closest thing to a road pedal and are lighter than the double-sided. But the double-sided are just so much easier to deal with, especially when starting on steep terrain from but-in-saddle position. Plus they deal with dirt, sand, and mud better.

Mike Bryant
08-11-2019, 07:08 AM
I use Crank Brothers Candys. Just step on pedal a time or two and the cleat will find the clip. Snaps in front to back or back to front. Either one. And has just enough platform area so you don’t feel your stepping on a pedal spindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dem
08-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Weight weenie SPD option: https://xpedo.com/product/pedals/mtb/m-force-8/

8000+ miles, mud, been under water a lot. Oddly, only had to replace the bearings on one side (they're small but super cheap.)

Clip out is very quick and smooth which is important for my crazy rides. :)

merlinmurph
08-11-2019, 09:19 AM
I definitely prefer an mtb pedal.

On typical road rides, the only time I'm off the bike is to go into a store and refuel - very little walking.

On dirt rides, I have a different mindset. I'm off the bike a lot more, stopping at scenic spots, taking pics, navigating, and (like yesterday's ride), walking unrideable sections. So, I'm walking around a lot and want a shoe that's ok for that. FWIW, I use Shimano XT pedals with Sidi shoes.

As always, everybody's idea of a gravel ride varies, and your equipment - tires, pedals, shoes, gearing, etc. - will vary with your own riding.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

bcroslin
08-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Our roads here in FL are limerock and sand so I just run road pedals. Otherwise, spd’s Are the way to go.

Gummee
08-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Since my gravel bike is also my CX race bike, SPDs. XTRs in my case.

I tried the ATACs 'back when' for CX and found the release too 'gummy' for my likes. The SPDs aren't as good at clearing mud, but for everything else, I like em.

Since I like having cross compatibility (get it?! Geez! I crack myself up) in the garage, EVERYthing that goes off-road has an SPD pedal on it.

HTH

M

bigbill
08-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Any two bolt type cleat pedal. I use the XT Trail version but the biggest deal IMO, is a good stiff shoe. It's not like MTBing where you might be in and out of your pedals frequently, riding gravel means you could have consecutive hours spent clipped in and a shoe with a flexy sole will reveal itself a few hours into a ride. I get years of abusive riding out of XT level pedals, spend the money on shoes.

Clancy
08-11-2019, 09:56 AM
I run Shimano M520 pedals on gravel, they are pretty cheap, work well, and they last as long as the nicer Shimanos. In my experience, gravel pedals get hammered pretty bad, the dust and grit combined with creek and river crossings destroys the bearings in a year or so. At 40ish bucks I don't feel bad about just pitching them and getting another pair when they die.

At $45 list with cleats (can be found cheaper on line) ball bearing construction and rebuild able, no reason to go with anything else. Plus virtually every bike shop around has the cleats if you’re ever traveling and find yourself in need.

572cv
08-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Mixed terrain: Time Xpresso
Gravel with dismount: Time ATAC

Why Time pedals? They are just the best for the knees (floating is better than Shimano).

This exactly. Time ATAC for me, for this reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

booglebug
08-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Atac user also, hard to get clipped in with road pedals in wet conditions

owly
08-11-2019, 06:19 PM
Speedplay Frogs ?

I use them for the float.

dmurphey
08-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Speedplay makes the best pedals, but their road pedals will not work in the mud, and sooner or later gravel rides will have mud. Their touring pedal is okay for gravel, the Frog, but it is not as secure as it could be, it is dirt and mud resistant. They make a gravel; pedal, the SZYR. It is 2 bolt, so it fits shoes you are likely to use for gravel. It similar to SPD, but more secure and stable. It works very well. I have tried SPD's, Candy, Time, and I think the speed plays are better, but no one can agree on this kind of thing. YMMV, try and see.

weiwentg
08-12-2019, 06:12 AM
Speedplay makes the best pedals, but their road pedals will not work in the mud, and sooner or later gravel rides will have mud. Their touring pedal is okay for gravel, the Frog, but it is not as secure as it could be, it is dirt and mud resistant. They make a gravel; pedal, the SZYR. It is 2 bolt, so it fits shoes you are likely to use for gravel. It similar to SPD, but more secure and stable. It works very well. I have tried SPD's, Candy, Time, and I think the speed plays are better, but no one can agree on this kind of thing. YMMV, try and see.

Unfortunately, a number of people have beefs with the SYZR, including some on this (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=201647&highlight=speedplay+syzr) forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=176028&highlight=speedplay+syzr), plus Bikeradar (https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/pedals/speedplay-syzr-mountain-bike-pedals-review/?image=5&type=gallery&gallery=1&embedded_slideshow=1). It might be a good gravel pedal, but it's very specific to gravel (i.e. it doesn't seem to be a good MTB or CX pedal). People say that clipping in is tricky - you enter the pedal at the same angle as you released, rather than just entering with your foot straight. This is unlike every other pedal that I know of.

No personal experience with the SYZR. I have Speedplay Zeros on the road and Shimano SPDs on the CX and gravel bikes.