PDA

View Full Version : base Layer hack

EmoryDPTT
08-10-2019, 10:24 AM
https://youtu.be/ITpEdq6FLPk

fmradio516
08-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Good one. Baumann put me on to a similar thing with a walmart shirt when I saw him in MOAB, but there arent many walmarts where i live. Plus id rather support this brand.

SerottaBrad
08-10-2019, 01:23 PM
https://youtu.be/ITpEdq6FLPk

Uniqlo undershirts are amazing.... They have also a version for winter that retains heat amazingly well, but i can't remember what their tagline is. Cheap comfortable

Mattre
08-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Good idea. Do you size down to fit under a jersey?

fmradio516
08-10-2019, 02:33 PM
I might get a size bigger and use the long sleeve as a MTN bike Jersey

marciero
08-10-2019, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't call it a "hack" since the idea is to use it as it was designed to be used, and without alteration.

pbarry
08-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Large is the smallest size available in any of the Airism styles. Looks like the line is discontinued.

pbarry
08-10-2019, 03:10 PM
uniqlo undershirts are amazing.... They have also a version for winter that retains heat amazingly well, but i can't remember what their tagline is. Cheap comfortable

heattech

Mattre
08-10-2019, 03:41 PM
After some Googling it sounds like they stop restocking Airism this late in the summer and switch to Heattech. But will start to bring Airism back early next year.

doublenines
08-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Been doing the Uniqlo Heattech for years, haven’t sized down, but only use them in the winter and my winter jerseys are usually a little looser than the summer ones. Sizing down makes sense, “why didn’t I think of that?”

They’re really comfortable and aside from my Rapha Snod, it’s my only piece of bike bike gear I wear for other things.

paredown
08-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Happened to be in the Uniqlo in Hudson Yards--unusual for me, since I don't really "shop"--and spotted the Airism Tees and decided to try one out. Works great--(my expensive Campag base layer is disintegrating:mad:).

I didn't size down, but should have, although the L works well enough, just a little longer into my bibs than the older Campag one.

Climb01742
08-11-2019, 10:06 AM
While not as cheap as these, my ‘hack’ is to watch Nike.com for when their Pro line sleeveless and short sleeve shirts go on sale. Just snagged a bunch for $22 each. Great quality and they last forever and feel great against the skin, IMO. It’s insane and frankly stupid what cycling brands charge for base layers.

54ny77
08-11-2019, 11:01 AM
i remember reading about the uniqlo shirts as base layers a few years ago. bought a few, they didn't work for me. the shirts themselves were too long.

made for nice rags though....:eek:

While not as cheap as these, my ‘hack’ is to watch Nike.com for when their Pro line sleeveless and short sleeve shirts go on sale. Just snagged a bunch for $22 each. Great quality and they last forever and feel great against the skin, IMO. It’s insane and frankly stupid what cycling brands charge for base layers.

EmoryDPTT
08-11-2019, 08:23 PM
i size down for their airism and heattech lines. Medium and race cut in all other brands, small in Uniqlo. The airism line is long, but that's not really an issue with bibshorts.

ejanastacio
08-12-2019, 03:57 AM
I use the Uniqlo airism tank top everyday with my normal clothes but don’t particularly like them for cycling. While the shirts are a great value to wick sweat from your body I don’t feel they dry quickly enough while riding. Would still much prefer to pay a little extra for a sleeveless mesh baselayer.

robertbb
08-12-2019, 06:28 AM
"wicks sweat away" is a red herring.

cotton wicks sweat away.

so does wool.

both stay wet.

the purpose of a base layer is to facilitate evaporative cooling, keeping you dry and keeping your core temperature at as close to 36.5 as possible in hot and cold conditions.