PDA

View Full Version : Core stuff - specifically "regular" and "side" planks

Louis
08-10-2019, 03:17 AM
Anyone out there have any particular knowledge about the various types of "plank" core exercises and the benefits of regular vs side planks?

Here's my situation: I have two basic gym workouts that I alternate, 1) rowing, followed by a few different types of kettlebell exercises, and 2) rowing followed by* a variety of strength and core exercises.

One of the core exercises is a "regular" front plank. Earlier today I was reading something that suggested that side planks were also a very good idea. I'm willing to consider adding them to the routine, but since it's already pretty long, I want to be sure they're truly value-added. I know they don't take that long, but since you also have to add in the recovery time when you're done, it's more than just a minute or two. Plus, for the side planks you have to do both L and R, which doubles the time.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

TIA

*I know, I should do the cardio after the strength workouts, but I consider that part more important to me than the strength stuff, so I want to do it when I'm fresh.

Peter P.
08-10-2019, 04:58 AM
My suggestion would be to alternate front planks vs. side planks each time you work out. You get variety; you get a workout; and you don't lengthen your workout time.

It's what I do.

Climb01742
08-10-2019, 05:00 AM
Side planks are definitely a value add because they hit very different muscles. The other value add is, odds are, your sides won’t be equal, so hitting both sides will address an imbalance. Once you’ve gotten the basics down, a really good move is to add a twist where you bring the top hand down and under/thru the lower ribs/armpit. It’s really important to hit the obliques and side chain of muscles to help stabilize you, particularly while standing and pedaling. Another variation is to dip your hip, touch the floor and return to elevated side plank position.

zambenini
08-10-2019, 05:22 AM
Piggybacking on what Climb01742 says, I have been doing one of the Jeff Cavaliere programs for a while and he advocates doing a variety of 'active' planks ... you get the benefits of the stabilization but bring in a bunch of other core muscle groups. Once you can plank for three or four minutes, it's kinda like, uh, ok, what are we doing here? He's all over Youtube and can explain why better than I can, but he prescribes marching planks, mountain climbers, cross-knee planks, same side plank tucks, etc.

I am not ripped or anything but feel like I have noticed improvement.

mt2u77
08-10-2019, 05:29 AM
Definitely value add. The thing about planks is that you can fill them in just about anywhere/anytime -- watching tv, reading Paceline, playing with your kids, 1st thing in the morning etc. If you're time crunched for your focused workout, just do them some other time.

Spoker
08-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Try side planks with the upper leg lifted off the other leg.
I would be surprised if you can not feel a L/R difference.
I did, and addressing it (by that side plank) helped my low back pain.

rkhatibi
08-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Depending on your overall fitness IMO you can skip rest between the sides. I might aim for 3x 30s for each side alternating. You can also do side planks with rotation or side planks with hip lift for time if the standard version isn't stressing muscles enough.

with rotation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1SXeNdAL4o
with hip lift https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byFW9KCwPZg

Generally I find it best to variations that engage more muscles with limited time in the gym. Both variations above work well and standard planks are replaced with one arm, push up, or walk out variations.

push ups plank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kEnT-CdXyE
single arm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUftNjOCVTs
walkout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFglq0-MAQw

Louis
08-11-2019, 04:16 AM
Thanks guys - I'll go ahead and add the SPs to the routine.

I messed around a bit with them on Friday, including doing some with my elbow supported by a Bosu hemisphere. That was interesting, and noticeably more challenging. I think I'll start with the normal side planks, then throw in the Bosu for variety.

Ronsonic
08-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Piggybacking on what Climb01742 says, I have been doing one of the Jeff Cavaliere programs for a while and he advocates doing a variety of 'active' planks ... you get the benefits of the stabilization but bring in a bunch of other core muscle groups. Once you can plank for three or four minutes, it's kinda like, uh, ok, what are we doing here? He's all over Youtube and can explain why better than I can, but he prescribes marching planks, mountain climbers, cross-knee planks, same side plank tucks, etc.

I am not ripped or anything but feel like I have noticed improvement.

I'm going to also put in a word for Jeff Cavaliere. Haven't caught him wrong on anything I know and very much approve of his approach of using exercises of coordinated movements using muscles and motions that work together.

zambenini
08-13-2019, 05:47 AM
I'm going to also put in a word for Jeff Cavaliere. Haven't caught him wrong on anything I know and very much approve of his approach of using exercises of coordinated movements using muscles and motions that work together.Once you get past the jock vibe his YouTube channel is fantastic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

stephenmarklay
08-13-2019, 07:18 AM
And while you are adding the SP take a look at Bird dogs next :)

MattTuck
08-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Side planks are part of the "McGill Big 3", so I'd say they are effective.

One of the guys on VeloNews Fasttalk podcast a few months ago suggested doing them with one foot forward to add some additional core activation.

XXtwindad
08-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Anyone out there have any particular knowledge about the various types of "plank" core exercises and the benefits of regular vs side planks?

Here's my situation: I have two basic gym workouts that I alternate, 1) rowing, followed by a few different types of kettlebell exercises, and 2) rowing followed by* a variety of strength and core exercises.

One of the core exercises is a "regular" front plank. Earlier today I was reading something that suggested that side planks were also a very good idea. I'm willing to consider adding them to the routine, but since it's already pretty long, I want to be sure they're truly value-added. I know they don't take that long, but since you also have to add in the recovery time when you're done, it's more than just a minute or two. Plus, for the side planks you have to do both L and R, which doubles the time.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

TIA

*I know, I should do the cardio after the strength workouts, but I consider that part more important to me than the strength stuff, so I want to do it when I'm fresh.

For the OP: is your concern aesthetic or functional? The "ripped abs" look (which is largely a myth) can only be achieved through a combination of movement and eating habits. Not through repetitive exercises targeting your ab complex.

Body weight squats, planks, and push-ups are the bedrocks of functional movements. They're all great. Push-ups, are, essentially, dynamic planks. I'd caution against side planks unless you've achieved a certain level of proficiency with your core. Otherwise, instead of relying on your pelvic girdle to sustain the movement, you'll be relying on your shoulder complex, which defeats the purpose.

For my money, push-ups are the most effective way to target the entire core (including your glutes, if done correctly). Make sure your hands are wide, so you don't rely on your triceps/biceps.

benb
08-13-2019, 02:02 PM
I've been rock climbing at the gym this year and this oblique/side core strength is a huge big deal for some of your overhang situations...

I haven't really been doing side planks, and the climbing helps those side core muscles anyway, but one I have enjoyed doing and have been doing more regularly is the "oblique knee raise plank."

1) Get in a pushup position (top of the pushup), hands stay stationary for the whole exercise
2) Take your left leg and lift it off the ground
3) Touch your left knee to your right elbow
4) Put the left leg back down to the pushup position
5) Take your right leg and lift it off the ground
6) Touch your right knee to left elbow
7) Return to start position

This one is actually fun while being hard... a lot the plank exercises are really boring IMO cause you're holding very still.

For some years I have done stuff like 1 minute regular planks.. they are hard but are not at all interesting.

I feel like any lateral strength/function you gain is pretty noticeable when you get on your bike. It makes me feel more balanced.