PDA

View Full Version : Sidi threaded insert turning with screw

weaponsgrade
08-08-2019, 07:46 PM
I’ve got a pair of Drakos. I bought a set of replacement soles. The threaded insert at the tip of one of the shoes is turning with the bolt. Does anyone know how to fix?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190809/d63797f8025f6606395781c617b3e1cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vqdriver
08-08-2019, 08:34 PM
Can you access the nut from the inside? Below the insole?

berserk87
08-08-2019, 08:45 PM

If it's like my last pair that had this happen, you would have to tear out the permanent sole of the shoe. This doesn't seem like something that someone at home could do without ruining the shoe.

weaponsgrade
08-08-2019, 09:07 PM

Unfortunately not. I tried but it looks like the inside sole (after the foot pad is removed) is glued in place.

slambers3
08-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Steel insert + bolt? Drip some penetrating oil in there, let it sit for a bit, and see if you can grasp the insert with needle-nose pliers while turning out the bolt. Don't grasp so tight that you deform the insert however. If you can get the bolt out, maybe you can re-bond the insert (a few drops of superglue?) to the sole enough that it won’t turn when you tighten it all back down again.

weaponsgrade
08-09-2019, 01:51 AM
There isn't enough space for the needle nose pliers I have. I put some PB Blaster on the threads and let it sit. Nothing was really working though. I thought that maybe I could try pushing the whole assembly through to the inside of the shoe and then repairing whatever broke. I grabbed the head of the bolt with pliers and pushed it towards the inside of the shoe. I could feel the inside tip of the sole flexing and the edge of the insert got wedged under the carbon sole. It was held tight enough that I was able to free the bolt. I put a few drops of gorilla glue around the insert and unwedged it. I'm letting it dry overnight. Hopefully it works.

corky
08-09-2019, 01:55 AM
i stripped a thread in a Sidi shoe, the only way to resolve it was to cut a hole in the sole( not the carbon the strange plastic/ cork material from the inside using a sharp modelling knife.Remove the threaded insert, replace with another taken from a doner shoe and epoxy in the new insert.

Still going strong....

vqdriver
08-09-2019, 02:40 AM
I'd like to note that the picture really helps with threads like this. I could have read an entire paragraph description and still not known what got stuck or where. We can see in an instant what there is to work with.

Steve in SLO
08-09-2019, 02:54 AM
Maybe email or call Sidi? USA distributor info here:

CICLISTA AMERICA
10225 Prospect Ave. - 92071 Santee, CA 92071
Tel. :619-401-4100
Email: info@ciclista-america.com
Web: www.ciclista-america.com
United States

Rusty Luggs
08-09-2019, 06:45 AM
Threaded insert sitting in a small rectangular pocket in the sole of the shoe. To replace, you cut a little window in the permanent insole inside the shoe. Don't think SIDI actually glues them in place, just relies on the pocket in the sole. I replaced one and I glued it with fast tack - glued down the window I cut from the insole with it as well. I actually only cut a three sided window with a razor knife and pried up the window in the permanent insole - think that was what SIDI rep suggested. SIDI sent me replacement threaded insert.
I my case, shoes were NOS and unused, expected they would warranty since they supposedly had a "lifetime" warranty, but all they would do is send me inserts. This was years ago.

weaponsgrade
08-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Steve, thanks for the sidi contact info.

This is what the shoe looks like now. Hopefully it holds. The shoe tongue is stitched along one side of the shoe and the insert that I need to fix is all the way at the tip. So, I’m not sure I’ll be able to fit a box cutter in there to cut out that section of the insole. But, I may have to resort to that if my fix doesn’t hold.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190809/0c0b0ff8cb526093efbd2f4c3678c920.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klasse
08-08-2022, 11:50 PM
My Ergo 3 shoes are now missing one metal insert (threaded). The sole has actually come unpeeled, so the metal piece was pretty easy to maneuver.

Thinking about Gorilla Gluing a new heel pad on the sole. Reached out to Sidi distributor at the email provided above.

berserk87
08-09-2022, 03:28 PM
Since I posted skepticism about cutting the sole, I've actually done it and repaired a set of old Sidis. It's not difficult and there are YouTube videos on how to do it.

Blue Jays
08-09-2022, 03:43 PM
Thank you for revisiting an existing related older thread.
SIDI is silly with their utterly ridiculous heel pads.
I just periodically cement a nice square of hard rubber in place.