PDA

View Full Version : Roadie Pros at Leadville

KJMUNC
08-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Cue the hysteria.....Phinney, Morton, and Howes are all racing Leadville as part of EF's non-standard racing agenda. Stetina will be there too.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/08/mountain/worldtour-pros-descending-on-leadville-100-mountain-bike-race_498856

Bruce K
08-08-2019, 06:21 PM
That should be interesting...

I’m sure they’ve been training and planning to try and make a statement

BK

FlashUNC
08-08-2019, 06:28 PM
A non-World Tour pro will win this.

prototoast
08-08-2019, 07:39 PM
Has Phinney done any road races this year? Will he ever again? It's hard to think he'll have a job next year at this rate.

Spaghetti Legs
08-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Has Phinney done any road races this year? Will he ever again? It's hard to think he'll have a job next year at this rate.

He was in Paris-Roubaix, DNF’d when the team car left him hanging, and in Tour of California. From what I’ve seen he’s been solid.

peanutgallery
08-08-2019, 09:55 PM
it's a participation event. WT pros have their own series filled with individuals who are also physiologica/pharmal freaks...and I'll leave it at that

Its like a F1 team showing up for the SCCA Runoffs in a cheater Spec Miata

Definitely shows that road racing in the US of A is as dead as Martha Washington

alessandro
08-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Cue the hysteria.....Phinney, Morton, and Howes are all racing Leadville as part of EF's non-standard racing agenda. Stetina will be there too.

Wut? Lance, Levi, and Floyd did Leadville a decade ago.

I dig the chill hipster pro dudes riding non-UCI events videographed in hi-def for fun. Looks like they’ve found a way to recapture some of the joy of riding bikes and promote their sponsors at the same time.

A non-World Tour pro will win this.
Flash is correct.

mtechnica
08-08-2019, 10:18 PM
I've heard pro tour teams are sending dudes to do races like this to get more interest going.

speedevil
08-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Stetina, Howes, and Morton finished 2-3-4 at DK200 earlier this year.

I wouldn't count any of them out.

Apparently this type of participation was a prerequisite for Rapha to come on board as a sponsor for EF. Obviously Stetina rides for a different team, but clearly some previously uncommon paths are matching up.

slambers3
08-09-2019, 06:33 AM
in my opinion, these guys participating elevates the experience of events like this for a lot of us regular guys. Would prefer to be dropped down a few finishing spots if it meant the opportunity to compete against the best.

BRad704
08-09-2019, 08:29 AM
in my opinion, these guys participating elevates the experience of events like this for a lot of us regular guys. Would prefer to be dropped down a few finishing spots if it meant the opportunity to compete against the best.

I'm not sold on the GBDuro... but I've certainly put the DK200 on my radar for next year. :banana:

Mzilliox
08-09-2019, 08:43 AM

hes healing a knee injury which is why he did not race tdf.

cal_len1
08-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Phinney has stated he's there to have fun, but I suspect the others will contend for the win. I'm predicting Stetina for the win actually. I for one enjoy watching the World Tour Pros at these events.

MattTuck
08-09-2019, 09:56 AM
May the strongest rider win.

Everyone loves an underdog, so here's hoping that a non-pro gets lucky and wins.

LegendRider
08-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Phinney has stated he's there to have fun, but I suspect the others will contend for the win. I'm predicting Stetina for the win actually. I for one enjoy watching the World Tour Pros at these events.

But, he's riding a squishy trail bike. Seems like a potential liability.

Agree that Stetina is the favorite.

CunegoFan
08-09-2019, 09:58 AM

If it were Sagan, who has won at the highest level, then, yeah, maybe. But here we have a team who cannot win against its peers trying to make up for it by beating up on weekend warriors. It looks like a pathetic publicity grab.

FlashUNC
08-09-2019, 10:06 AM
If it were Sagan, who has won at the highest level, then, yeah, maybe. But here we have a team who cannot win against its peers trying to make up for it by beating up on weekend warriors. It looks like a pathetic publicity grab.

I wonder who won Ronde van Vlaanderen this year.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2019/04/07/2/gettyimages_1141018547_670.jpg

Lewis Moon
08-09-2019, 10:11 AM

Stetina is actually taking this seriously, from what I've heard.
Can't wait until Wout and MvdP come over to do it.:eek:

Jaybee
08-09-2019, 10:44 AM
No love for someone like Howard Grotts who is a full time MTB pro, gets better with distance, and is defending champ? Or Payson McElving?

These WT guys have enormous engines and are fully capable of a high altitude day with 11k of climbing, but you don't ever get to sit in the group in a MTB race. And while Leadville is largely non-technical and doubletrack, that doesn't mean you aren't getting beat around for 6 hours in a way a road race can never replicate.

My money is on an actual MTB pro.

andrew+
08-09-2019, 11:01 AM
I dig the chill hipster pro dudes riding non-UCI events videographed in hi-def for fun. Looks like they’ve found a way to recapture some of the joy of riding bikes and promote their sponsors at the same time.

Same. It seems like EF/Rapha is pursuing a strategy based on highlighting the personalities of its riders, countering stereotypes of pro cyclists, and producing Youtube content over winning UCI races. I doubt the team even cares if the riders win these non-UCI events, so long as the video is good.

KJMUNC
08-09-2019, 11:01 AM
My money is on an actual MTB pro.

Yep, me too.....I think Stetina (and/or maybe Morton) will be able to hang, but ultimately this is just an event for them (despite what they say) but it's hard for anyone who doesn't make this their primary focus to beat the guys who do (e.g., Grotts, McElving, etc.)

I get why some of the sponsors are supporting this.....EF is all about getting in front of as many people as possible, so this is just another avenue to the market and more eyeballs.

I do get a little aggravated by WT pros talking about having to do stuff like this to "recreate the joy of riding" or whatever they say. Look dudes, this is your JOB.....you either love doing your job or you tolerate it for the pay. Ride whatever you want, but it starts to sound like whining when they complain about not being thrilled to do their job (even though I get it).

John H.
08-09-2019, 11:19 AM
I don't get the hate for either camp.

If a pro mob racer wins people will say "of course he won, he is a pro mtb racer".

If a pro roadie wins people will say "of course he won, he is used to 6 hour races and lots of climbs".

It could go either way- Leadville is not technical and average speed is high. The front few do actually draft and work together for time. Guys use aero bars. Some guys have even been using road shoes and pedals.

I say "rock on" to all!

MattTuck
08-09-2019, 12:40 PM
I wonder who won Ronde van Vlaanderen this year.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2019/04/07/2/gettyimages_1141018547_670.jpg

Indeed. They don't win much, but I think they've won all the monuments.

sparky33
08-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Stetina, Howes, and Morton finished 2-3-4 at DK200 earlier this year.

I wouldn't count any of them out.

Apparently this type of participation was a prerequisite for Rapha to come on board as a sponsor for EF. Obviously Stetina rides for a different team, but clearly some previously uncommon paths are matching up.
Good on Rapha^, yes Rapha did something good.

Would it be that terrible if pro attendance causes the landscape of relevant competitive events to shift to more compelling disciplines? Leadville is more interesting than many world tour races, but not everyone is aware of that... yet.

Also, there aren't many (any?) events in cycling or other sports where amateurs compete alongside pros. Seeing the contrast of exceptional ability alongside the comparatively ordinary is fascinating. Pro athletes who mingle are the best kind.

Also, the recent EF/Rapha videos highlighting some of these other events are entertaining.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2019, 01:16 PM

https://www.velonews.com/2019/08/mountain/worldtour-pros-descending-on-leadville-100-mountain-bike-race_498856

To me it’s a big ‘meh’...some of these guys show up for local to the republic rides and kick the collective crap out of WE warriors around here..but it’s all good because most just wanna ride a bike and enjoy the scenery. If yer gonna go to Leadville(great little town, BTW), say hello to Floyd!!:)
Drink a beer, smoke a joint and have a great meal.

MattTuck
08-09-2019, 01:24 PM
To me it’s a big ‘meh’...some of these guys show up for local to the republic rides and kick the collective crap out of WE warriors around here..but it’s all good because most just wanna ride a bike and enjoy the scenery. If yer gonna go to Leadville(great little town, BTW), say hello to Floyd!!:)
Drink a beer, smoke a joint and have a great meal.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/af/d5/fb/afd5fb5a3632d0646fc5c607e9729710.jpg

FlashUNC
08-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Same. It seems like EF/Rapha is pursuing a strategy based on highlighting the personalities of its riders, countering stereotypes of pro cyclists, and producing Youtube content over winning UCI races. I doubt the team even cares if the riders win these non-UCI events, so long as the video is good.

They were soooooo apathetic when Rusty Woods was on the podium at Innsbruck last year. Clearly couldn't care less.

earlfoss
08-09-2019, 01:30 PM
EF isn't exactly sending their A, or B team to these events. I can guarantee you none of the guys who won big races on EF will come near a gravel race this year or next. Yes, these "C team" are fast and they should be, but they all seem to be squeezing what they can out of careers that are pretty much over. They're like the pitcher who lost his fastball and becomes a knuckleballer to get a last few years in the big show.

Stetina barely kept his spot on Trek last time his contract was renewed. He struggled to finish most of the WT races he's done this year. Kiel is probably on his way out too.

I would guess the WT guys being sent to alternative events have significantly cut salaries compared to teammates racing actual WT races. Discussion and media coverage is probably generating an ROI that makes it worth it to the sponsor too, so it's a win-win. The win for the riders might be that they get to maintain a semblance of the pro lifestyle, wear the WT pro kit, have no expectations by the team on results, and maybe get to operate with a little more autonomy when deciding their calendar.

All of that said, it doesn't bother me they're doing these events. Makes me wonder where things are headed in the future though. If this means that more people can sign pro contracts, and they're supported well enough to chase their dream that's a good thing.

sparky33
08-09-2019, 01:44 PM
EF isn't exactly sending their A, or B team to these events.

True.
I wanna see MdvP race Leadville or DK or whatever, even if he shows up and goes solo off the front for 100 miles. Probably never going to happen.

azrider
08-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Part of the Leadville mystique is getting into the race to begin with whether it was through multiple failed Lottery attempts or one of the feeder racers.

One year a couple of local trust fund kids got mommy and daddy to buy their way in via donation to Ken Choubler.

But the stories of how you get in are told just as much as the stories of the actual race itself. It's kinda lame these turds get to "cut to the front" just because they're pros. Not even MTB pros.......but roadie pro's.

Meh......

But one things for sure, I'm well past my breaking point with TP. I wish he would just go away quietly and give up his spot on the team for someone who's more competitive. I get the whole "zen, chill, hang loose bro" shtick and I think it's super rad and all (eye roll, vomit).........but there's a time and place for everything and when you're in a competitive event then get your azz in gear and compete dammit......don't give me this 'there to have fun' crap. So annoying.

prototoast
08-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Part of the Leadville mystique is getting into the race to begin with whether it was through multiple failed Lottery attempts or one of the feeder racers.

You don't have to be a pro to buy your way into the race. Anyone can buy their way in by either paying the $2,350 charity fee, or by paying the $2,500 training camp fee.

azrider
08-09-2019, 02:36 PM
You don't have to be a pro to buy your way into the race. Anyone can buy their way in by either paying the $2,350 charity fee, or by paying the $2,500 training camp fee.

Whoops, you're correct. You can be totally lame and pay 8x the entry fee to race Leadville instead of actually qualifying.

earlfoss
08-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Rather than sponsoring could-have-beens on the way out, I think it would be a heck of a publicity move to have one of these teams sign someone on the way up.

Signing a kid with real talent and fire to race these alternative events.

I always thought it was cool that US Postal had Kenny Labbe on a contract to race domestic events. He was a USPS employee, a letter carrier if I'm not mistaken. He and Robbie Ventura were the domestic contingent of USPS and made a great hit squad at Superweek and so on.

I had a great time joking around with him in the road race at Nature Valley one year.

azrider
08-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Rather than sponsoring could-have-beens on the way out, I think it would be a heck of a publicity move to have one of these teams sign someone on the way up.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/1Z02vuppxP1Pa/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611865f737f058a98668bedb4e6f8ab ff5770852c02&rid=giphy.gif

prototoast
08-09-2019, 03:14 PM

They have a bunch young riders with potential: Logan Owen, Sean Bennett, Sergio Higuita, Daniel Martinez. Unfortunately, the team has a horrible track record of developing talent, and so until there are some changes in upper management, they'll probably continue to be associated with the bigger names they sign at the tail end of their careers than for the riders they develop.

MattTuck
08-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Hagens Berman Axeon is the team you want to watch if you're looking to see developing talent.

Lewis Moon
08-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Speaking of up and coming riders, 'twould be cool if these guys would race
https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/paRgvSj4.jpeg

peanutgallery
08-09-2019, 08:53 PM
If WT pros come ride the rocks of michaux, big respect

Leadville is a high altitude, dirt crit for mtb Nancys:)

See you at teaberry...or not. I reserve the right to judge. Bonus points if Vaughters rolls in his Sherlock Holmes costume

tkbike
08-09-2019, 11:41 PM
Really, Nancy’s? And how many times have you ridden this course to make that statement? A serious question, I’ve ridden the course several times not in the race and don’t see it as a Nancy course, so just wondering how experienced you are to make that statement?

If WT pros come ride the rocks of michaux, big respect

Leadville is a high altitude, dirt crit for mtb Nancys:)

See you at teaberry...or not. I reserve the right to judge. Bonus points if Vaughters rolls in his Sherlock Holmes costume

charliedid
08-09-2019, 11:47 PM
Pro riders at Leadville is nothing new.

54ny77
08-09-2019, 11:53 PM
It's got people talking, which means the publicity is working. Come on, that's a good thing!

Racing seems to be going ker-plunk these days. Anything that lifts the profile in a positive way, 2 thumbs up.

peanutgallery
08-10-2019, 07:33 AM
You saw the sarcasm face, right?

No rock gardens, log hops, drops, mud or tight singletrack. Michaux has all that, for free

Really, Nancy’s? And how many times have you ridden this course to make that statement? A serious question, I’ve ridden the course several times not in the race and don’t see it as a Nancy course, so just wondering how experienced you are to make that statement?

azrider
08-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Grotts and Morton first to the top of Columbine

God they’re movin :eek:

skouri1
08-10-2019, 12:07 PM
how are you following the race? is there a livestream or?

azrider
08-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Leadville Race Series “group” on book of faces keeps throwing out updates .....this was the bottom of Powerline .....

Which, btw, used to be one of the more technical parts of Leadville......but as the name suggests, local work crews were having such tough time with the terrain that the city came out and graded the entire hillside essentially turning Powerline into pancake flat strip 25’ wide

I’d be shocked if course record isn’t broken today ....

I’m pulling for Grotts......and an ex teammate who is sitting in top 20 ......good grief

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190810/52ad732eb930debe1e815fdc28a0eb4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KonaSS
08-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Just go here for results. https://www.athlinks.com/event/219291/results/Event/717068/Results

Looks like a group of 3 at the front now.

skouri1
08-10-2019, 12:32 PM
nice thanks!
i bet there will be a rapha recap later too

gdw
08-10-2019, 12:53 PM
Times have changed. The forum used to have members who actually raced Leadville, now we have a bunch of spectators discussing the event.

kingpin75s
08-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Times have changed. The forum used to have members who actually raced Leadville, now we have a bunch of spectators discussing the event.

Ha. A few of those types still lurking in the corners around here occasionally. I raced the NH100 for a couple years. Had the honor of puking out at just about the same spot Tinker did that day. 2014 was not a nice race. They actually had to advertise a kinder gentler NH100 the next year. Same NUE series, but much more difficult race unless the elevation really messes with you IMHO. YMMV. Yadda Yadda.

John H.
08-10-2019, 04:33 PM
2nd place was an 18 year old- Quinn Simmons.
He is a high level road racer and also has high level junior palmares in the dirt- So he plays in both camps.

Also competes in ski mountaineering.

azrider
08-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Grotts for the win. Such a stud

azrider
08-10-2019, 04:44 PM

Speak for yourself [emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190810/c3584c712132c2c078e730366136360e.jpg

old fat man
08-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Speak for yourself [emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190810/c3584c712132c2c078e730366136360e.jpg

Yup, I did it last year too. Am I allowed to comment?

earlfoss
08-10-2019, 04:56 PM
I did Belgian Waffle Ride. Am I allowed to comment on stuff? Hope so because I already did.

azrider
08-10-2019, 05:03 PM
I did Belgian Waffle Ride. Am I allowed to comment on stuff? Hope so because I already did.

Dude.....much respect......BWR is no joke

nobuseri
08-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Props to all you ballers (that aren’t pros) out there doing Leadville and the like. These races are no joke and take dedication and sacrifice in your non-pro lives.

Sometimes, I wish I could. “;)

gdw
08-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Yup, I did it last year too. Am I allowed to comment?

Only if you got the big buckle.:banana:

CunegoFan
08-10-2019, 06:29 PM

I've done the run. Does that count?

old fat man
08-10-2019, 07:03 PM

Ouch. The regular buckle is still too big to wear here in New England

azrider
08-12-2019, 11:54 AM
2nd place was an 18 year old- Quinn Simmons.
He is a high level road racer and also has high level junior palmares in the dirt- So he plays in both camps.

Also competes in ski mountaineering.

Kid won U23 Gent Wevelgem so he's no slouch.

I've done the run. Does that count?

No. That just proves you're a masochist ;)

Ouch. The regular buckle is still too big to wear here in New England

Ha. On the sad long trip home from Leadville I finally convinced myself that I should be happy with the little buckle because you can't even wear the BIG buckle......ha

The BIG buckle really is the ultimate goal. With how much I trained and sacrificed I just don't know if that'll ever be a reality for me, but it was one of the most rewarding experiences trying!

MattTuck
08-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Do we think the WT pros were really racing to win? Seems too convenient that they're all at the front of the race, but can't close the gap to the winner. Same formula as DK.

Perhaps they were riding with orders not to win? or there was some sort of implicit agreement not to win?

On the other hand, it sounds like the young 2nd place rider beat the pros in a sprint... so maybe it just means these WT pros are not that good.

prototoast
08-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Do we think the WT pros were really racing to win? Seems too convenient that they're all at the front of the race, but can't close the gap to the winner. Same formula as DK.

Perhaps they were riding with orders not to win? or there was some sort of implicit agreement not to win?

On the other hand, it sounds like the young 2nd place rider beat the pros in a sprint... so maybe it just means these WT pros are not that good.

I don't think there needs to be some conspiracy here. The world tour pros are not particularly good world tour pros--i don't believe Morton, Howes, or Stetina has ever won a pro race in Europe. They're all very strong riders in their own right, but it's silly to think that it would take some kind of "fix" for them not to win.

R3awak3n
08-12-2019, 12:59 PM
I don't think there needs to be some conspiracy here. The world tour pros are not particularly good world tour pros--i don't believe Morton, Howes, or Stetina has ever won a pro race in Europe. They're all very strong riders in their own right, but it's silly to think that it would take some kind of "fix" for them not to win.

at the same time, they might be better at these events than good world tour pros that never ride these kind of roads and terrain.

FlashUNC
08-12-2019, 01:04 PM

The more likely answer is it's a different discipline and there's some really solid racers who do these things more regularly.

Or are we arguing the reigning US National Road Race champ isn't that fast?

https://wpassets.trainingpeaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/05161208/alex-howes-usac-national-champ-blog-1200x675.jpg

azrider
08-12-2019, 02:28 PM
The more I read, the more impressive Quinn’s 2nd place becomes.

Wow....what a pro move. Gets multiple flats and instead of making excuses he buries himself and gets 2nd ....#respect

..........on Speedplays no less, so baller

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190812/97151116d739b8a1c992fd46cd064097.jpg

cloudguy
08-12-2019, 02:37 PM

Wow....what a pro move. Gets multiple flats and instead of making excuses he buries himself and gets 2nd ....#respect

Thumbtacks on the course? What's that all about?

MattTuck
08-12-2019, 02:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

azrider
08-12-2019, 02:48 PM

yeah the thumbtacks were hot topic last year as well. A very small handful of locals have expressed their disdain for Leadville series races (MTB and Marathon) and the crowds that come with them..............general consensus is that it's a local who shares that same viewpoint who has gone so far as to place thumbtacks on course. So sad.

Not sure where the tacks were on course this year but last year they were on St. Kivens climb and i remember seeing lots of folks off the bike changing tires

cloudguy
08-12-2019, 02:59 PM
yeah the thumbtacks were hot topic last year as well. A very small handful of locals have expressed their disdain for Leadville series races (MTB and Marathon) and the crowds that come with them..............general consensus is that it's a local who shares that same viewpoint who has gone so far as to place thumbtacks on course. So sad.

Not sure where the tacks were on course this year but last year they were on St. Kivens climb and i remember seeing lots of folks off the bike changing tires

Dang, the whole point of the event (I thought) was to generate tourist revenue. Guess some folks just like living in backwoods mountain towns with no revenue.

azrider
09-26-2019, 12:30 PM

This kid is something special.......Quinn Simmons, same guy who punctured multiple times and still clawed back to get 2nd at PBville, also same kid who won U23 Wevelgem........just destroyed the juniors road race with solo breakaway to win by 56 secs

kudos kid......you gotta bright future ahead of ya

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/cycling/2019/09/26/TELEMMGLPICT000210992760_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqnxsVzbF t55yT5iapkHrLYV5yFgybF8Lp5lQn6ceV1MM.jpeg?imwidth= 1400

trener1
09-26-2019, 04:04 PM
He just signed with Trek instead of spending a year or 2 in the U23's I hope they help in his development and dont burn him out, clearly a mega talent.

prototoast
09-26-2019, 04:50 PM
He just signed with Trek instead of spending a year or 2 in the U23's I hope they help in his development and dont burn him out, clearly a mega talent.

Let's just all be thankful he didn't sign with Education First.

azrider
09-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Let's just all be thankful he didn't sign with Education First.

But....but.....EF has such cool, chill vibes bro