PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shipping - Canada to US

bthomas515
08-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Found a dream bike at a pretty sweet price but it’s up in Calgary, Canada. Anyone ever shipped bike across the border? Any extra fees I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help!

GonaSovereign
08-07-2019, 05:14 AM
It’s as easy as shipping across state lines, but more expensive and will take a couple extra days to clear customs.

jet sanchez
08-07-2019, 06:37 AM
You'll get dinged with brokerage fees by the shipping company too

alancw3
08-07-2019, 06:46 AM

yes I once looked into buying a bike that was listed on the Pink bike website. could not understand why all the Canadians only would sell inside Canada and not ship the USA. I think there is a customs duty that the Canadian shippers have to charge to ship. somewhat of a hassle and quite a hefty fee if memory serves me correctly. I suggest you ask seller what is involved and if indeed he will ship across border. good luck.

echappist
08-07-2019, 06:46 AM

Only for FedEx and UPS

Black Dog
08-07-2019, 07:53 AM
bikeflights?

UPS is brutal with brokerage fees. Fedex is much better but it depends on the shipping method selected.

ryker
08-07-2019, 08:01 AM
I think there is a customs duty that the Canadian shippers have to charge to ship. somewhat of a hassle and quite a hefty fee if memory serves me correctly. I suggest you ask seller what is involved and if indeed he will ship across border. good luck.

There is no such thing as a Canadian export duty.

pdonk
08-07-2019, 08:43 AM
The customs fee charged by the courier can be avoided if you have the time and energy to fill out the paper work, submit it and have it approved prior to delivery and are able to provide a copy to the shipper for when it clears customs.

The $50-75 for this work is usually well spent and speeds things up.

ntb1001
08-07-2019, 09:06 AM
Anytime I’ve shipped a bike, I just fill out the declaration card with a nominal value for the used bike.
That way customs rarely charge anything on the other end. Can’t get away from the brokerage charges from UPS or FedEx though. They charge the person receiving the delivery.

The postal service is a better option for anything but a complete bike...they won’t take the full size bike box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

htwoopup
08-07-2019, 09:22 AM
I have had a different experience than others noted above. A friend visited us when he did the Ironman in Mont Tremblant. He and I went to FedEx office near our Montreal apartment and he shipped the bike home to Minneapolis in its Evoc case with no brokerage fees, no customs duty, no hassle.

I have shipped a bike frame (and everything else except wheels) in a bike box from the local Canada Post office in Mont Tremblant to my home in NYC. Again, no extra fees no hassle.

I also know of, but did not personally experience this shipper, someone who says they used Purolator with no problem.

So, I suggest looking at the carrier websites directly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chunkylover53
08-07-2019, 09:52 AM
I've shipped plenty of frames to the US from Canada. As long as someone is willing to pay the shipping (for a frame, could be anywhere from 75-100 CDN, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, depending on how small a box I can fit it in), I'll do it. Fees, duties, etc. are on receiver's end, not mine. I usually send via Canada Post, which then transfers things to USPS. In my experience, it's a bit of hit or miss when it comes to extra charges (but with couriers, it's a sure thing). So my best luck has been with Canada Post. If a person asks me to undervalue it for customs, I'm usually willing to do that within reason, as long as they realize it affects any insurance coverage. If you really want the bike, you could also ask them to ship it in two boxes - e.g., one with wheels and fork, the rest in another. Lots of ways to do things, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy in Canada, or vice versa. I've never really had any issues.