PDA

View Full Version : RIP Toni Morrison

flydhest
08-06-2019, 10:20 AM
I had the good fortune of having dinner with her one night decades ago when I was a graduate student at Princeton. A formidable presence, to say the very least.

Bradford
08-06-2019, 01:19 PM
I have had few experiences in my life as powerful as reading Song of Solomon. It was like I was hit by lightning.

One of the great works of American literature by one of the country's most talented and powerful writers.

David Kirk
08-06-2019, 03:30 PM
I'll miss her writing and knowing that we share the same small planet.

dave

FlashUNC
08-06-2019, 04:25 PM
While her work has never struck a particular chord with me, her impact is inarguable. She's also proof that American life is a bunch of Second Acts, with her first novel published when she was in her early 40s, if memory serves.

Her work as a book editor, while taking a back seat to her writing, was no less important.

A giant in 20th century letters and we're all the better for sharing at least a few orbits of the Sun with her.

NHAero
08-08-2019, 04:48 PM
I recommend the film about her, The Pieces I Am. An extraordinary writer, editor, activist, and human. We are all better for her life's work. I read The Bluest Eye in high school and it was the first thing that really opened my mind to the experience of African-Americans, in a way that reading history cannot do.