PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen cassette splines like this?

Dr Luxurious
08-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Spiral?

It sure ain't a helicomatic...

dddd
08-05-2019, 11:44 PM
Damaged XD cassette, looks like the tool wasn't fully inserted when considerable removal torque was applied.

It's a Shimano cassette tool spline for what that's worth.

And I would investigate this cassette's potential for future removal before installing it on a good hub. The tool will need to be worked in using a hammer and a wrench on the cassette tool, but you don't want the splines stripping out upon installation or removal.

Dr Luxurious
08-05-2019, 11:57 PM
How the heck did they twist and not just break off?

jtbadge
08-06-2019, 12:30 AM
https://s14761.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SRAM_XX1_SF_MG_2009.jpeg

It used to look like this.

Re: your other thread (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=240697), no a Shimano cassette won't fit the freehub body that this cassette came off of. But you probably could have just used that cassette with a Shimano drivetrain.

SpeedyChix
08-06-2019, 12:12 PM
I'd scrap that cassette. Even if you got it on another time getting it off...might be a no go.

That was cranked on w/o the tool being fully inserted. Amazed it wasn't destroyed.

dddd
08-06-2019, 01:55 PM
I'd scrap that cassette. Even if you got it on another time getting it off...might be a no go.

That was cranked on w/o the tool being fully inserted. Amazed it wasn't destroyed.

I think that you're right, looking at the retention portion, it won't be reliable.

It has been destroyed imo.

Impressively ductile alloy there!

It's such an ultra-extraspensive cassette though, so perhaps the threaded retainer sleeve with the splines can be salvaged from another cassette that has merely become worn out.

Dr Luxurious
08-06-2019, 02:10 PM
That's going in the bin
In the process of converting to Shimano 2x11, anyway.

It came off a used MTB I just bought...
I couldn't get the tool to go in very far at all. Now I know why :rolleyes:

ColonelJLloyd
08-06-2019, 02:20 PM
It sure ain't a helicomatic...

Showing your age there.

Hamfisted "mechanic" strikes again. RIP expensive cassette.