PDA

View Full Version : Cycling gifts for yourself this season?

Rapid Tourist
12-16-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm assuming all the little boys and girls in forumland have been good this year.

So what cycling doo-dads are you buying for yourself this year????

I'll start . These are for my fixed gear :) :)

pdxmech13
12-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I just put some centaur stuff on my cda.
just to make it that little bit more special

big shanty
12-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Got a 2006 Record alloy crank on Competitive Cyclist for $158.

Smiley
12-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Gonna pimp out the Hors Categorie with a SRAM 10 speed conversion and when my MAN Jeremy stops screwing around with smokers and BBQ maybe he'll have my new hoops ready for the Uniscasi :)

Bud
12-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Rims and spokes for my wheel build project :cool:

SimonC
12-16-2006, 04:50 PM
It's been some time coming, and I'm still not sure I'm 'ready', but I'm treating myself to a custom Robin Mather - deposit cheque will be with him in January and I'm anticipating a 4 month wait after that.

Robin Mather (http://www.robinmathercycles.co.uk/)

palincss
12-16-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm assuming all the little boys and girls in forumland have been good this year.

So what cycling doo-dads are you buying for yourself this year????

I'll start . These are for my fixed gear :) :)

Very nice. I'll bet they came in handy this week. Those foggy mornings were like riding through a cloud.

I got myself a Kogswell P/R to be my new commuter, and I've been hoping I'd run into you at Four Mile Run to show you it. I also just got a couple of Andrew King stainless "tulip" cages for the underside of the downtubes on my two Rivendells for next summer, and in the hope of doing some experimenting with a handlebar bag on my Rambouillet, I got a set of Mafac Racers and a TA handlebar bag support. The TA rack on the Mafac Raids on my P/R has worked out much better than I ever expected - honestly, I was shocked when I saw the rack in real life, it's like a HO-gauge scale model of a handlebar bag support. It's made of small diameter wire, but I was mentally scaling the photos up to the diameter of every other rack I've ever seen, and expected the rack to be at least 3X larger than it actually was.

pale scotsman
12-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Those Robin Mather rigs are pretty cool. Please post pics when you get it done. His ht badges (http://www.robinmathercycles.co.uk/be/Resources/be10headbadge.jpg) are slick.

djg
12-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Just got an L&M ARC HID light for those rides home from work (and sometimes early in the morning). I'd been shopping around for a light, and our own board bro znfndl lent me his backup (he likes them so much he has a backup HID just like his daily). It didn't take a whole long time to decide that seeing the surface of the pavement and not just its general direction was kind of a nice advantage--had to have it.

Smiley
12-16-2006, 06:44 PM
"I got myself a Kogswell P/R to be my new commuter"

Steve , you got to post a pic of that rig , what fork rake did Matt sell you ? Nice brother , nice :)

AgilisMerlin
12-16-2006, 06:45 PM
oops wrong thread

AmerliN

Rapid Tourist
12-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Steve, I'd love to see your new commuter. Is it on the road yet? What color? I'm still commuting although I'm down to two mornings a week or so... Yes, can't wait to mount the fenders on my Kirk!!! It will feel "right" at that point....

chrisroph
12-16-2006, 08:19 PM
dbrk's sachs cross. when people ask what i want for christmas i say nothing, i aalready have all that i want.

ejh
12-16-2006, 10:06 PM
A Rockshox Reba race, and 2007 XTR for my mountain bike. Eric

jharsha
12-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Holiday budget shot!!
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=23738

learlove
12-16-2006, 11:15 PM
gonna finish my MX leader.

things I have for it:

open pro's laced to Ultegra hubs
thompson post
44cm cinelli crit bars (took forever to find in 44)
white benotto tape
cinelli stem 110mm X/A
DA threaded HS
seat
look pedals - old style

things I need:
Ultegra - rear de, front de, calipers, and leavers*, casett and chain.
I don't really care for the Ultegra crank so I'm still looking in this department. Thinking of the SRAM Rival in compact - bb to match.

* I may still go with down tube shifters, I see Excel sports in CO has them in 10spd and then use Tekro levers until I decide which setup.

I'm also kicking around a light weight setup by putting a Reynolds carbon fork with Deda Newton bar/stem plus threadless HS. Pairing that with D-ace DT shifters and using the Record carbon levers.

rePhil
12-17-2006, 07:27 AM
One of the few advantages of working in a school system is the time to ride.

Larry
12-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Campy Eurus wheels. Oh so nice.

RABikes2
12-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Larry, our head mechanic at the shop, says I rely too much on my one and only bike (Legend Ti ST). Being an "employee" of the shop, maybe it's time to start checking out a new ride to add to my "stable" this year. BTW, Larry has 13 bikes (!!!!) and the other guys at the shop have at least 3+ bikes in their possession. Hmmmm...? :confused:
RA

justinf
12-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Just gave my colorado CRL a boost up to a new Campy 10 alloy mix (03 chorus/record/new centaur), Nitto Pearl and Noodle, and Record/NOS Reflex wheels. It sings. I must photo.

Also, an Electra Amsterdam for the wife, per her request:
http://www.bikegallery.com/photos/Electra-Amsterdam-white-small.jpg

And this for my lil' man:
http://kozy.com/images/library/features/spec_red_07_f.jpg

Larry
12-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Larry, our head mechanic at the shop, says I rely too much on my one and only bike (Legend Ti ST). Being an "employee" of the shop, maybe it's time to start checking out a new ride to add to my "stable" this year. BTW, Larry has 13 bikes (!!!!) and the other guys at the shop have at least 3+ bikes in their possession. Hmmmm...? :confused:
RA

RA,

I rely on my 1998 Csi, although I would like a newer model Legend ST to
have some variety to choose from. Some day..........

Larry in Dallas

Tailwinds
12-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Holiday budget shot!!
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=23738

Christmas came early for you, didn't it? ;)

I already have 2 "Dave" bikes -- so I just bought 2 of the matching jerseys. Oh -- and a trip to FL.

Dan Le foot
12-17-2006, 09:15 AM
A Park cable cutter.
Dan

TriJim
12-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Let's see...

New Bar Tape and Elite Carbon Cages for Elektra. Rouleur subscription, Rapha Merino shirt, Assos stay warm stuff, and a couple books for me!

Merry Christmas to all! :fight:

d_douglas
12-17-2006, 10:28 AM
There's a crazy used bike shop here in Geneve that periodically comes across great bikes and parts. The owner is a funny Scottish guy who i quite enjoy. Someone gave him a TVT road bike with a broken seatstay for salvage and he stripped an 8spd Chorus group - headset and seatpost and all. The only dead item was the rear derailleur - even the brifters and cranks have just a few scratches. Also includes Ceramic Open Pros on Chorus hubs. Pretty cool.
He sold it to me for $300US, so I think its a pretty good deal.

Yay, Christmas.

jharsha
12-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Christmas came early for you, didn't it? ;)

I already have 2 "Dave" bikes -- so I just bought 2 of the matching jerseys. Oh -- and a trip to FL.

I've got one of the jerseys coming as well. Oh" and a Chris King/OP wheel set too!

DRZRM
12-17-2006, 02:37 PM
I'll tell you when the auction closes, I don't want anyone sniffin' around my stuff.

:p

manet
12-17-2006, 03:35 PM
... Robin Mather (http://www.robinmathercycles.co.uk/)

swell site

oldmill
12-17-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking hard about a Kogswell P/R. In the meantime, I've ordered a new fork for the ANT, one with a Richissimo crown. Good way to start the new year

Elefantino
12-17-2006, 07:20 PM
New 'Nag.

Should complete the build tomorrow.

sailorboy
12-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Well this boy spoiled himself this year...

this...
and this

pdxmech13
12-17-2006, 08:45 PM
more pics of the spectrum please.

sailorboy
12-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Actually haven't received the frame and 2 forks yet, but my build will be very similar to these pics that the original owner posted on ebay. This guy might be my long lost twin as I also grabbed the blue della santa that I posted here several months ago from him. Our subsequent email exchanges reveal very common bike lusts, with the exception that he is now getting a spectrum track frame and I have no interest in a track bike.

On the fork issue, he included the custom spectrum steel fork that he ordered with the frame but never used it, opting for the alpha Q. While I don't know much about the fork other than he asked Tom K. to build it to match the frame, anyone have an opinion on them or a strong reason to stick it on the bike vs. carbon? The everest crown is apparently a Tesch design? Anyway, I like the ride of my Hampsten, Della Santa, Merckx MXL and CSI all with steel forks, but don't really know what to expect from the Ti-steel combo.

pdxmech13
12-17-2006, 10:07 PM
congrats on a great bike.

sailorboy
12-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks; it helps to have someone out there with similar tastes and size. I'll probably post some ride impressions once she is built and on the road.

petitelilpettit
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Got my new CDA, as well as some rollers on the way

Pettit

FxdGrMind
12-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Pulled the trigger on a new set of wheels. They will not be ready for x-Mass, but it will bring Cheer into the new year!

I'm off to the Velodrome in 07, one more effort to make my riding skills better.

Tubular Wheel buildup:
Phill Hubs (Track, FF Fixed)
Mavic Reflex rims
14/15 DT spokes (wire tied 3x for strength)
Aloy nips (not sure what kind the builder uses)

Now I need to start thinking about what tires to put on em... Any suggestions?

znfdl
12-18-2006, 10:55 AM
New bike, pictures when it arrives.

I have been giving Dinotte tailights as presents.

H.Frank Beshear
12-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Looks like I bought a Corsa Extra yesterday :D .

Frankwurst
12-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Quickbeam. :beer:

FierteTi52
12-18-2006, 06:42 PM
A new Kirk Frameworks Jersey, and a tub of Assos chammy butter. Maybe a pair of winter shoe covers if Santa (my wife) was listening. The best gift so far has been unusual warm temps and riding every day in Buffalo NY in December. I'm sure we'll pay for it with lots of lake effect snow from lake Erie being so warm.
Happy Holidays,
Jeff

SPOKE
12-18-2006, 09:50 PM
broke the bank back in november on a trip to Boulder, CO so no present for myself but managed to get family and friends some nice gifts. :beer:

Steelhead
12-18-2006, 09:57 PM
NiteRider MiNewt light for training after dark and in the early morning, some new PI ultrasensor bibs and a pair of microsensor 3D shorts, and a pair of Descente coldout gloves and toe warmers.

:banana:

Smiley
12-19-2006, 07:14 AM
broke the bank back in november on a trip to Boulder, CO so no present for myself but managed to get family and friends some nice gifts. :beer:
Don't forget Boulder in January too , SICI :banana:

slowgoing
12-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Not cycling related, but a pool table. Wanted one forever!

DRZRM
12-19-2006, 08:45 AM
As I said, I'd post when the auction closed. These are on the way from the UK to go on my new (to me) Legend with the Record-10 group.

Stella Azzurra Guizza cranks. I've wanted a pair since I saw them on the gallery...mmmmm carbon. And I got 'em for a steal.

Happy Holidays everyone. :fight:

SPOKE
12-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Don't forget Boulder in January too , SICI :banana:

sending the registration in today. see you there! :beer:

djg
12-20-2006, 10:13 PM
I forgot about this--just got it out and rolling yesterday:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=24205

shinomaster
12-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I got a new 172.5 mm record carnkset on ebay. I'm gonna try the 2.5 mm longer arms next year.