PDA

View Full Version : GPX file reader for iPhone

happycampyer
08-04-2019, 11:07 AM
My Garmin (500) doesn’t have a map function, so I’m looking for an iPhone app that reads .gpx files. There seem to be several, so I’m wondering if anyone has tried any of them and found one they prefer.

Black Dog
08-04-2019, 09:35 PM
My Garmin (500) doesn’t have a map function, so I’m looking for an iPhone app that reads .gpx files. There seem to be several, so I’m wondering if anyone has tried any of them and found one they prefer.

The one I use on my iPhone is called bike gpx or something to that effect. Works just fine.

retrofit
08-04-2019, 09:44 PM
Try Cyclemeter: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cyclemeter-gps-cycling-running-mountain-biking/id330595774

ColonelJLloyd
08-04-2019, 09:47 PM
I purchased the $4 version of BikeGPX for a ride I did this weekend. It alerted me to turns (of which there were many) and that's what I wanted out of it. I was pleased with it and wouldn't feel the need to try a similar app for the same function (basically a live GPS cue sheet). I had considered Ride With GPS, but I tried BikeGPX first and, again, it seemed to give me the basic function I was after so I stopped there.

I didn't use the dashboard gauges because I had not paired cadence or heart rate sensors. I removed the speedometer from the dashboard about a mile in because it didn't seem to settle on a number for even a fraction of a second and was always reading a faster speed than my Garmin watch.

It's well known that it's hard to make out maps on a smart phone screen in the glaring sunlight. If you're able to hear the sound alerting you to an upcoming turn it's not that big of a deal. Obviously, if you need to see the detail of the map then a smart phone in lieu of a cycling specific GPS unit is less attractive.