PDA

View Full Version : OT: smoking meat

Jeremy
12-16-2006, 12:31 PM
The pellets that I use for my pellet stove are 100% oak (no fillers, no binding agents). Can anyone think of a reason why one should not use these to smoke meat? Has anyone tried this? At $6.00-$7.00 for a 40# bag, it is very cost effective.

Jeremy

Smiley
12-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Hey Jeremy or should one call u Wolfgang Puck now :) Karen soaks some store bought wood chips ( some gucci brand ) and I place these in the Webber in a pan to smoke whatever we cook along side the beef. We smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving , my job was to replenish the soaked wood chips before they burned. I don't really see any problem with your actions. I assume you plan to soak these chips ... right ? And what time is dinner, we'll bring the Corona beer :)

mike p
12-16-2006, 12:42 PM
The pellets that I use for my pellet stove are 100% oak (no fillers, no binding agents). Can anyone think of a reason why one should not use these to smoke meat? Has anyone tried this? At $6.00-$7.00 for a 40# bag, it is very cost effective.

Jeremy

Jeremy,
I've never used pellets. I would guess there made from oak sawdust and if no binders are used must be bound with pressure, heat, or steam. Can't see why they wouldn't work as long as your smoker is compatable.
I use regular oak, hichory, and many fruit tree woulds. Low temp. and lot's of time. Pellets wouldn't work in my smoker.

Mike

Jeremy
12-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Mike and Smiley,

Thanks. I usually soak wood chips, add them to a heavy-duty roasting pan and place it right above the back burner of my Weber. This time I filled it with wood pellets (I spritzed them with water, but did not soak them, as they fall apart if soaked). Turned all 3 burners to high, 10 minutes later smoke is billowing. I turned off all but the back burner, stabilized to 250 degrees and added the meat. So far, it's working great.

Jeremy