PDA

View Full Version : Landyachtz bikes

duncanknudsen
08-02-2019, 08:34 PM
I used to downhill skateboard and Landyachts was a big name in that sport. Recently I started seeing that they’re making steel and ti bikes. What’s your thoughts on skateboard manufacturer turn bike manufacturer. Has anyone seen one in person? Purchased one?

Jad
08-02-2019, 09:01 PM
I haven't heard of Landyachts. But Rob Roskopp seems to have done well with Santa Cruz, if he fits your question. I used to have a Rob Roskopp deck and loved it!

pbarry
08-02-2019, 09:15 PM
https://landyachtzbikes.com/frame-sets/

Jad
08-02-2019, 09:32 PM
And here's the skate side:

https://landyachtz.com

William
08-02-2019, 09:56 PM
I've heard of them, though I did not know they were making bike frames. Being on the East coast at the time, Landyachts (the boards) were pretty rare. I was more of a Soda Factory guy (Airotica, Clutch, and Candy Spanks). Now that I'm back out West I'll have to seek one out and compare.

W.

false_Aest
08-02-2019, 10:21 PM
Interbike 2016 and 2017.
They were super excited and about to explode on to the scene.

About is a relative term.

Builds looked solid but as a PM I couldn't figure out how they'd make the bikes and make a profit.

What they had on display looked killer.

Their saddle is L E G I T!

m_sasso
08-03-2019, 02:50 AM
One of Landyachts employees is a member on board here, I met up with the owner about a month ago, Mike Perreten mikeperreten@icloud.com told me his start up story, walked me around the shop, met his primary builder/fabricator and had some great conversation about bikes. Really good guy, I will say more tomorrow, it is late tonight and need to work early tomorrow. I will let Mike know and maybe we can get him to drop in and say a few things about his company and what he is doing.

uber
08-03-2019, 03:42 AM
I have not heard of them either, but I believe Parlee used to make boats before he made bikes. A great bike is a great bike.

buddybikes
08-03-2019, 05:40 AM
Assume few high end bikes are made in Vancouver and rest are normal Asian imports?

Black Dog
08-03-2019, 08:07 PM
They say that they make the customs frames in house.

https://landyachtzbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/1146-custom-toasted.jpg

monkeybanana86
08-03-2019, 08:52 PM
Don't know them but that $500 frame has nice tig and looks cool raw.

kiwisimon
08-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Neil Pryde went from windsurfing to bikes. They did it well. I miss my windsurfer.

duncanknudsen
08-08-2019, 11:03 PM
They look awesome right?! Might have to pick one up.

duncanknudsen
08-08-2019, 11:07 PM
One of Landyachts employees is a member on board here, I met up with the owner about a month ago, Mike Perreten mikeperreten@icloud.com told me his start up story, walked me around the shop, met his primary builder/fabricator and had some great conversation about bikes. Really good guy, I will say more tomorrow, it is late tonight and need to work early tomorrow. I will let Mike know and maybe we can get him to drop in and say a few things about his company and what he is doing.

Checking back. Have you talked to Mike? I'd love to hear more. Loved their boards, and their steel and ti looks pretty tempting.

GonaSovereign
08-09-2019, 06:55 AM
What’s your thoughts on skateboard manufacturer turn bike manufacturer.

Santa Cruz pretty much did this. Seems to have worked well.

mikemowbz
08-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Hey folks!

My name is Mike (M) and I work at Landyachtz’ brick-and-mortar shop in Vancouver, BC. Longtime Paceline member, too. Love the community here. Had to give this thread a bump to add a bit of info - since I find the topic pretty pertinent!

While the company has been around over 20 years, we’ve been doing bikes for approximately the past 4 of those, doing custom work in our frame shop onsite here in Vancouver, and steadily adding ‘production’ models that we design in-house and have fabricated to our specs overseas - now including a couple of Columbus Cromor-tubed fast city/commuter/do-it-all models (e.g. the CB2), an alu cross bike (the CBX, featuring an EBB for SSCX use), an urban single speed w/a 3s IGH option (the Spitfire), a sweet alu track frame (the Blade), and so on…with more new stuff always in the works.

The production bikes are pretty popular locally on the west coast of Canada, and we’ve sent bikes out direct to customers across Canada and the USA.

The bikes that we’re most thoroughly stoked on are what we call our ‘1146’ frames. That’s the number on the building - here at 1146 Union Street in East Van - so it makes for a good moniker to designate everything that comes out of our in-house custom fabrication shop. We build with steel (primarily fillet brazed) and titanium - mostly road and gravel machines, every one a little different than the last.

Many of our 1146 bikes have a timeless, clean ‘classic’ look (Columbus steel tubing, polished fillet joints, clear finishes...), but we’re always super keen to try new things as we work to hone the craft…have been playing around lately with anodized logos and such on Ti, on more ‘out there’ Ti road designs integrating new tech (e.g. the FSA ACR integrated stem/headset/steerer system), and with pushing the limits of tire clearance for folks wanting to get rolling on some rougher stuff.

Mike P, who Marc mentioned meeting in one of the posts in this thread, is one of the company owners (along with Tom E) - it seems like Mike always has us working on something new and different to see what the frame shop can do.

Kyle W builds all of our custom frames - putting in the hands-on work to make these things stand out.

Blake S manages the shop and bike brand operations - he’s the number one guy to talk to about finding the right direction for a new 1146 custom frame project.

George B is our in-house bike designer - you can count on him rolling into work each morning on *something* rad and meticulously spec’ed out, and he’s the guy who does up the drawings and makes sure we’ve got all the finer details sorted on our custom work.

I’m Mike M - I do sales, customer service, ordering and receiving, all the front-of-house shop lackey stuff you can think of like booking in repairs. I like old bikes…and modern classics of all descriptions.

If you’re here in Vancouver, pop by the shop and come say hi to us! We’re a full-service bike shop, including P&A sales and service/repair. We do a weekly Thursday shop ride, too - 5:30pm rollout from our shop courtyard.

Shop addy: 1146 Union Street, Vancouver, BC
Shop number: 604-253-2005
Shop email: bikeshop@landyachtz.com

We also typically do NAHBS, Sea Otter, stuff like that every year…so keep an eye out for us at those kind of industry events if you do too.

I’ll see if I can grab some pics to show off a bit of Kyle’s work here in this thread, but in the meantime if y’all want to see some LY eye candy, check out our Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/landyachtzbikes/?hl=en

Our website:

https://landyachtzbikes.com

Post here or hit us up directly if there are any questions we can help answer about our bikes and what we do at Landyachtz!

Mike P isn’t much of an online/forum guy, but I had a chat with him today and it sounds like he’ll drop in here to chime in as well…