PDA

View Full Version : Kirk, Sachs, Rivendell, others?

Russ
05-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Well,

Now that Serotta has officially discontinued production for road bikes that use catilever barkes, i.e, the Rapid Tour, etc. (see http://www.serotta.com/pages/models.html) I am "forced" to look elsewhere for a high-end commuter bike, which I plan to have built later this year.

I heard that the wait for a Richard Sachs bike is very long, but if you had to chose among this or other builders, would you have a preference? Why?

By the way, I am inclined to stay with a steel, lugged bike. So I would not consider other non-steel brands...

Thanks!

Marco
05-08-2004, 03:54 PM
I can only speak to the Kirk experience. If you do it, you will be very happy. It will put a smile on your face. Mine is amazing, the way a bike is supposed to be.

dave thompson
05-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Russ:

Pick up the phone and talk to Dave Kirk. (1 800 605 KIRK) He's a wealth of knowledge and information. Nice guy too. Ask him about his Montana Road Bike. It sounds like it what may be just the ticket for you.

vaxn8r
05-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Those Vanilla's I've seen in the gallery are looking mighty good.

dbrk
05-08-2004, 04:44 PM
The wait on a custom Rivendell is quite long now, more than a year; if you want a Sachs, well, get in line! But there are fine choices for delivery in the next year. I have the very highest respect for Dave Kirk: and I'm aiming for a Kirk tandem in the near future. If you are looking for a traditionalist bike then I would also consider Mike Barry's Mariposa. The wait is not that long and there's a wisdom and experience here that frankly no one in the world other than Ernest Csuka can honestly match. Look here: www.bikespecialties.com
Mariposa is the most traditionalist of all lugged steel in North America. Russ, you'll see four examples here at the TdFL later this summer.

There are dozens of other fine choices.

dbrk

PBWrench
05-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Russ -- hopefully you'll see Marco's Kirk in June. It is really beautiful. The training wheels and kickstand are a bit much though.

Russ
05-08-2004, 06:49 PM
....The training wheels and kickstand are a bit much though.

Wrench,

Give Marco a break! Even when you are sick, you are funny.... :D

Hey, get yourself animated and come to the TdFL, OK???? I promise I will bring the Dog and the Alligater.

Later 'Gater,

Ahneida Ride
05-08-2004, 10:19 PM
I suspect that by next year their will be an extended wait for a Kirk.

:banana:

PBWrench
05-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Russ -- I've figured it out. While I was chowing down on GU, you were feeding that poor puppy too many Krispy Kremes!

M_A_Martin
05-09-2004, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't be so positive that Serotta has truely discontinued the rapid tour. I believe they will start up production in time for cross season. (When I called Serotta direct the reps told me that you can't order the cross bikes due to some tooling issues, however since then I've seen a few new frames that are supposedly momentarily discontinued show up at the local shop...so it appears that they are happening, they just are not included in the shorter lead times.) Serotta is a wonderful, consumer orientated company. If you really want it, you could probably get it, but you would have to wait for it. Have your local dealer chat with Serotta about it.

Personally, I thought the same thing because of the text on the web site.

...so I looked at my options and I chose to work with Dave Kirk on my new bike as his Montana Road Bike very much fits how I use my bikes. I'm very happy with the experience so far and I'm sure I'll love the bike when I get it! Mr. Kirk is a delight to work with and his lead time seems reasonable, and his work is beautiful in pictures...I'll let you know how it is in person when the frame comes in.
(see my post in the custom bike gallery for the Kirk Terraplane, one of the rough frame before finishing, and a detail of the seat stays...)

Russ
05-10-2004, 02:29 AM
...I'll let you know how it is in person when the frame comes in.

Thanks! Hopefully I will get to see your bike in person at the TdFL as well...