PDA

View Full Version : etap 11 install?

eddief
08-01-2019, 07:16 PM
could I really have damaged the front derailleur? tried to do it based on all i knew about mechanical fronts. then when it would not shift to the big ring i took a long sit at my computer and watched the vid. the vid said do it not the way i did and said i could damage it. might have.

would sram repair or replace under warranty?

FlashUNC
08-01-2019, 07:47 PM
...you just admitted on a public website to doing the very thing they said not do, and you're expecting them to make it right?

elliott
08-01-2019, 08:26 PM
could I really have damaged the front derailleur? tried to do it based on all i knew about mechanical fronts. then when it would not shift to the big ring i took a long sit at my computer and watched the vid. the vid said do it not the way i did and said i could damage it. might have.

Are you serious? Read the instructions first. Measure twice cut once. Sounds like a error on your part and nobody else is to blame.

eddief
08-01-2019, 09:07 PM
i admitted a mistake and asked a simple question. i'd pay for a repair if it was available and some vendors bend over backwards to help the afflicted.

Kirk007
08-01-2019, 09:14 PM
I'd start over with the install. Line up the line on the FD cage with the ring, adjust the upper and lower limit screws. Not that much that you could do that would damage the mech it would seem from my experience.

soupless
08-01-2019, 09:16 PM
I just set up my first eTap FD and it wasn't easy.
I had to start over a few times.
If you're talking about the limit adjusting screw thing, I bet unless you really tightened the living daylights out of them you didn't do any damage...

vqdriver
08-01-2019, 10:05 PM
R u sure it's actually damaged?
I didnt see much opportunity to really screw it up that bad with mine

eddief
08-01-2019, 10:10 PM
but have decent mechanic skills. will try again tomorrow and then double check with my LBS.

Thx.

Louis
08-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Eddie, serves you right for turning to the dark side.

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--ncVdZpDT--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1533593978/production/designs/2987577_0.jpg

eddief
08-01-2019, 10:43 PM
gone from Serotta CSI through many bikes to end up with Specialized Roubaix Di2 and now humble Curtlo travel bike to Etap. Bad thumbs and short attention span and impatience causes some fun and some trouble.

R3awak3n
08-02-2019, 01:17 AM
I never read the manual but with new tech I would have no idea how to install this thing since you have to pair, ect. I remember seeing this specific thing when I installed, doesnt make much sense that has to be aetup like that but there is a reason and You probably did brake it.

As far as difficulty to setup, its tricky but not that hard to do. I have set it up on 2 bikes with little to nonissues

oldpotatoe
08-02-2019, 06:45 AM

What's it not doing? Not shifting? Try to install according to video. If it still doesn't work, try to warranty but if you admit you did something you shouldn't have and damaged it..I donno, hard to tell with sram..

eippo1
08-02-2019, 07:05 AM

I'm sorry, but I could not help but read this in Yoda's voice. Use the force next time.

glepore
08-02-2019, 07:25 AM
It is VERY stupid that one of the adjusting screws is both reverse thread and soft ti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weiwentg
08-02-2019, 10:42 AM
If you read through the full set of instructions for any groupset, you'll probably see a few lines where they warn that not doing X could cause various terrible fates, up to and including death. SRAM is probably just covering their rear ends.

eddief
08-02-2019, 01:38 PM
took bike with installed parts to Mike's Bikes Petaluma. Austin the mechanic who is nothin but nice and mellow put it in the stand and tried to get the front d adjusted correctly. At first he could not figure it out but it did not appear that I had damaged it. He mentioned chainline and I said the bike has never had an issue with chainline. Then he noticed that I had mounted the FD onto a Shimano band-on adapter. That adapter has a bowl-shaped indention that accepts the Shimano braise on derailleurs. Well the shape of SRAM FD where it attaches to a band-on adapter is way different than a Shimano. So they ordered me the SRAM version and will install correctly and tune early next week.

So I tried to damage the FD but it appears I was not successful. Maybe next time :). RTFM twice before diving into new tech.

I appreciate all the support and non-support especially from Louis from St. Louis.

vqdriver
08-02-2019, 01:48 PM
glad to hear it was as simple as a band clamp.

fwiw, the youtube installation video is worth watching thru. even if not for the details, you get a general overview of what you're supposed to do and you can go back to it if you get sidetracked. after watching it, installation went pretty much by the book. simple dimple but there are differences worth noting inherent to etap

eddief
08-02-2019, 01:58 PM
at least on my Curtlo. 48/32 Praxis in the front and 11-36 SRAM 1170 in the rear, just B srew in a lot, no Road Link.

vqdriver
08-02-2019, 02:24 PM
since you're waiting on your fd clamp, i assume you mean the rear isn't working.
wifli?

eddief
08-02-2019, 02:26 PM
clicking fine up and down the cassette. and fine on the small ring even with the jerky FD install.

since you're waiting on your fd clamp, i assume you mean the rear isn't working.
wifli?

eddief
08-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Yes, I tried as hard as I could to kill the front derailleur by not reading the f-ing manual. And thought I really did kill a $350 part in under 5 minutes. I ended up taking to my LBS (Mike's in Petaluma. Like em.) The mechanic said the d was fine but the braze on adapter I bought was the problem. I think an older style Shimano band with a receptacle that has a stop at the top rather than an open channel from top to bottom. So the d was bolted down askew and could not be adjusted correctly. New adapter, a few professional tweaks, and now working as hoped.