PDA

View Full Version : M5 Brake Calipers

YesNdeed
08-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Anyone ever use them? I'm selling a pair for a friend, but they don't seem to jive with modern rim/tire widths. 23.3mm max clearance between pads is a no go. And of course not many people even remember these relics called "rim brakes".

hokoman
08-01-2019, 01:15 PM
I have some on my Klein. It's been so long since I rode that bike, but the brakes look awesome still! I remember going from Zero G to the M5 and they had better braking power.

YesNdeed
08-01-2019, 05:06 PM
I have some on my Klein. It's been so long since I rode that bike, but the brakes look awesome still! I remember going from Zero G to the M5 and they had better braking power.

My buddy is larger rider and likes them for their braking power. And they’re made in the Netherlands, like him too.

I find them to be a bit mysterious...no updated design? They were right up there with EE brakes, circa 2006.

I suppose I could cut a couple mm from each pad to make them fit my rims. And I use Campy so a caliper implemented provision for releasing them for wheel removal is not necessary. But I think they would be better suited to an older, slimmer profile rim. Soon to appear in the Classifieds if I manage to upload pictures...

hokoman
08-02-2019, 08:04 AM
For those of you who only think of BMWs when they hear M5. Here is a pic of mine on my Klein. Great looking brakes.

jdp211
08-02-2019, 08:41 AM
I had a pair years ago. Really powerful, really light, could not get them to stay centered to save my life

jpritchet74
08-02-2019, 01:35 PM
I also had a pair years ago - the braking power was great - almost too good - zero modulation - I returned them to to the shop after a single ride.