PDA

View Full Version : Need some new skewers

jharsha
12-15-2006, 11:09 PM
I need skewers for some new CK hubs that are on the way. I've primarily used DA on my other wheels but $40-$50 per skewer seems a bit much. Any preferences out there? How about DT? Thanks.

dave thompson
12-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Salsa makes some nice skewers that hold very well and are reasonably priced.

petitelilpettit
12-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Salsa makes some nice skewers that hold very well and are reasonably priced.

+1

Pettit

Kevin
12-16-2006, 05:00 AM
Bold Precision.

Kevin

catulle
12-16-2006, 05:40 AM
Campagnolo.

soulspinner
12-16-2006, 06:10 AM
Light, secure and they open and close with ease. 40 to 50 clams for the pair.

CNY rider
12-16-2006, 07:13 AM
I need skewers for some new CK hubs that are on the way. I've primarily used DA on my other wheels but $40-$50 per skewer seems a bit much. Any preferences out there? How about DT? Thanks.
I have a set of DT's. Never had a problem with them. They came with a set of wheels I had built so I don't really know the individual cost.

Steelhead
12-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Salsa Flip Offs are the ones for me. :banana:

BdaGhisallo
12-16-2006, 07:48 AM
I tried the Salsa skewers in an effort to get some variety after years of Dura Ace skewers. I couldn't get the front Salsa tight enough to exert sufficient force to stop the front hub/fork interface from creaking. It took me months to track down the source of the creak. I was also trying carbon bars for the first time at the same time as using the Salsas, so I was sure it was the bars. I went through three or four different stems, with a similar number of different compounds on the bar stem interface to try and quell the creak. Nothing worked. Then one day I had a flat on my main wheels and had to sub in a wheel with a dura ace skewer. The creak vanished!

Morale of the story? Stick with Dura Ace. They are simple and they work.

Xyzzy
12-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Has anyone used the Tune AC 14 skewers? How secure are they compared to the stock Mavic skewers that come on Ks?

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/sveltecycles/Detail?no=31

dirtdigger88
12-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I just picked up a set of these to try-

for $18 I figure I cant go wrong-

So far they seem to work well- my wheel hasn't fallen out yet

Jason

saab2000
12-16-2006, 09:46 AM
I want some Bold Precisions for my Look. The red Salsa skewers I have work nicely on this bike, but the red looks hideous.

Ahneida Ride
12-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I figure it this way.

My life is on the line. I'll go with a internal cam design. Campy or DA.
Much too much frn, but then again, if they open ......

There have been all sorts of complaints about open cam systems here
over the years. I can't recall a negative comment about a closed cam
skewer. (except too heavy)

This I do know. A Campy Chorus or Record Skewer grips tenaciously.
It's got an aligator bite.
Now that is a lot cheaper the a trip to the Doctor.

saab2000
12-16-2006, 10:01 AM
The best I ever used were Mavic metal ones from about 8 years ago. Sweet, smooth closing feel. I have never had a problem or even a hint of an issue with my Salsa. They also feel solid when closing them.

I do have some Rolfs which came with the Nucleons in the picture and the don't feel good at all when closing them. Lots of resistance, hard to close yet they don't feel tight for some reason.

You for sure can't go wrong with Campagnolo or Shimano.

pdxmech13
12-16-2006, 10:56 AM
closed skewers work the best .

now you can go and spend some money on
pretty ones that have magic colors and unearthly
lunar weight but ALLthe deigns are
flawed compared to a closed skewer.

weiwentg
12-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Bold Precision.

Kevin

I would have suggested those as well, but they do cost about a hundred bucks a pair, and the guy did say that $40-50 per wheel (works to about a hundred bucks a pair) did sound "a bit much" for him.

catulle
12-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Has anyone used the Tune AC 14 skewers? How secure are they compared to the stock Mavic skewers that come on Ks?

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/sveltecycles/Detail?no=31

I have a pair and so far they've been fine. They are sexy looking, they seem perfectly well made, they are very light. However, I feel safer with Campagnolo skewers.