PDA

View Full Version : The most durable Camapagnolo Wheels?

veggieburger
07-31-2019, 02:59 PM
Gotta say, I love my Electrons, but it's time to replace them. Had some Neutron Ultras, but they split at the rear hub.

Aside from the NU, Campy wheels have always been good to me.

What is the most durable pair of Campy wheels you have ever owned?

FlashUNC
07-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Hyperons or Shamals.

mtechnica
07-31-2019, 03:04 PM
All of my fulcrum and campy wheels have been fine so far, the oldest being a set of fulcrum racing 5 with quite a few miles on them.

parallelfish
07-31-2019, 03:14 PM
Zondas

Idris Icabod
07-31-2019, 03:14 PM
I have some Eurus wheels from around 2006 that I have literally done zero maintenance on. I once opened them up to regrease but the origin grease was still white so I closed them up and have never touched them again. I also rode into a parked car at 20+ mph with these wheels and flipped onto the roof and they are straight as day 1.

Clean39T
07-31-2019, 03:17 PM
Zondas+1 - Zonda C17 can't be beat for price/performance ratio..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tommasini53
07-31-2019, 03:34 PM
I have some Eurus wheels from around 2006 that I have literally done zero maintenance on. I once opened them up to regrease but the origin grease was still white so I closed them up and have never touched them again. I also rode into a parked car at 20+ mph with these wheels and flipped onto the roof and they are straight as day 1.

+1 on the Eurus. I have a similar vintage and never an issue true as new and its all I ride. Would love a set of these in tubulars!!!

Hellgate
07-31-2019, 03:42 PM
I currently have Record 10 with Open Pros, Chorus 10 with Open Pros, Zonda C17s, Shamal C17s, and Bora Ultra 35s. All excellent wheels.

Most durable, if I could ride all of them enough to truly test durability, are probably the Zondas.

And the Ultras are so nice I ride the everyday, except for rain days.

That said, the Record wheels are all original with about 50k miles on them. Still going strong [emoji123]!

So, I suppose, all????

Powerful Pete
07-31-2019, 03:45 PM
Two votes:

1. Campagnolo Record hubs and your favorite rims;
2. Campagnolo Zondas.

Ralph
07-31-2019, 03:48 PM
Zondas….For the money.....most factory wheel you can buy.

Ozz
07-31-2019, 03:59 PM
+1 on the Eurus. I have a similar vintage and never an issue true as new and its all I ride. Would love a set of these in tubulars!!!

+2

Have some Eurus from 2003....never a problem....true as ever.

galgal
07-31-2019, 04:14 PM
Have C15 & C17 Zondas, C15 Eurus and Shamals, C17 Shamal Mille, Hyperons.

For the price, Zondas can't be beat, but they're all very very nice and have had no issues with any of them. The Hyperons are sublime.

jemoryl
07-31-2019, 04:35 PM
For durability I'd take the Zondas over the Eurus mainly because the former has steel spokes an the later, aluminum. Otherwise they are fairly similar wheels.

Ozz
07-31-2019, 05:46 PM
For durability I'd take the Zondas over the Eurus mainly because the former has steel spokes an the later, aluminum. Otherwise they are fairly similar wheels.

IIRC, the older Eurus (like mine) had bladed steel spokes....

robertbb
07-31-2019, 07:26 PM
Zonda C17's and Bora 35's

I had Shamal C17's and sold them. The aluminium spokes are a let-down. They catch a crosswind more than the Bora 35's, and also seem to reach a "terminal velocity" of sorts at speed.

My Zonda's (Campy freehub) were within 75 grams of my Shamals weight-wise but seem faster for that reason.

Best aluminium factory wheelset available.

I wish Campy would produce a Zonda with a more rounded, less box-sectioned rim profile. Or a Shamal with steel spokes.

veggieburger
07-31-2019, 07:44 PM

I was wondering about the Eurus. I like the look of them but wondered about hub durability. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a set, or some Zondas. Thanks all!

Elefantino
07-31-2019, 07:49 PM
New: Zonda
Old: Proton

colker
07-31-2019, 09:13 PM
Nucleons anyone? It´s the wheel i covet: tubular all around perfect wheel.

VC Slim
07-31-2019, 09:55 PM
Nucleons anyone? It´s the wheel i covet: tubular all around perfect wheel.

Agreed. And the companion black spoked Neutrons as well.

climbgdh
07-31-2019, 11:56 PM
Of my Campy wheels my Eurus have been bombproof. 28,000 km on a set and they ride like new. Love those wheels. Never been trued.

gravity
08-01-2019, 01:05 AM
Have C15 & C17 Zondas, C15 Eurus and Shamals, C17 Shamal Mille, Hyperons.

For the price, Zondas can't be beat, but they're all very very nice and have had no issues with any of them. The Hyperons are sublime.

Can you comment on your C17 Zonda compared to the C15? I find my C15 very stiff and was wondering if C17 can improve the comfort a bit. What’s your take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galgal
08-01-2019, 06:43 AM
Can you comment on your C17 Zonda compared to the C15? I find my C15 very stiff and was wondering if C17 can improve the comfort a bit. What’s your take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t yet tried tires wider than 25s on the C17 Zondas, and can’t notice appreciable difference in comfort. I do find the Eurus, Shamal Ultras (both C15) and the C17 Mille to be more comfy.

dancinkozmo
08-01-2019, 06:49 AM
these are dirt cheap...anyone know if theyre any good ??

https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-wheels/campagnolo-khamsin-c17-clincher-wheelset/12138468.html

jamesdak
08-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Campy/Fulcrum are my go to modern wheels it seems like.

I have yet to have an issue with any of them. Off the top of my head I'm running Shamal Ultra's, Racing Zero's, Scirocco, Quattro, Zonda's (C15/C17), Racing 3's, and Eurus. Not an issue with any of them. Mixture of new and used wheels, some several years older designs.

I got up to 220 lbs last year and still rode all these wheels with no issues. I'm back down 45 lbs now so they feel even more reactive now, LOL!

Zonda:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164992518.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169486248.jpg

Racing 3:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166138354.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166363859.jpg

Shamal Ultra:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164621709.jpg

Racing Zero:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169184897.jpg

Scirocco:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166081196.jpg

Quattro:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166799408.jpg

Eurus:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/168074741.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169142819.jpg

john903
08-01-2019, 09:12 AM
I have a old pair of Nucleons that won't die, and a pair of Hyperons. I ride both all the time all conditions. The one thing I have noticed is they both "ping" under a hard effort while climbing.

Jamesdak: Have you added to your collection I don't recognize a couple of those? Do you still have the cool looking Ribble, still one of my favorites of yours.

AngryScientist
08-01-2019, 09:35 AM
i think all the campy wheels are very good.

i would also say the zondas are my pick for the best if durability and longevity are the key deciders. the oversized spokes/nipples on the eurus/shamal tend to seize and you wind up breaking a nipple if you need to true them (which is rare), but the zondas use a more traditional spoke and nipple and will likely be easier to maintain if they need truing attention.

i've put thousand of miles on several sets of campy wheels, even the very low end ones. my rain wheels are super low end campy wheels that i have been absolutely abusing for a long time and they are holding up well, though they are notably porkier and more sluggish than the mid range wheels.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4AgIu7Kr3Yo/XLub4ENkPcI/AAAAAAAADMY/w1vKHuy4dLsy4pA6ixp4aHUKRwnloQdQACLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_3551.JPG

jamesdak
08-01-2019, 09:36 AM
I have a old pair of Nucleons that won't die, and a pair of Hyperons. I ride both all the time all conditions. The one thing I have noticed is they both "ping" under a hard effort while climbing.

Jamesdak: Have you added to your collection I don't recognize a couple of those? Do you still have the cool looking Ribble, still one of my favorites of yours.

Still got er! :banana:

shinomaster
08-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Zonda C17's and Bora 35's

I had Shamal C17's and sold them. The aluminium spokes are a let-down. They catch a crosswind more than the Bora 35's, and also seem to reach a "terminal velocity" of sorts at speed.

My Zonda's (Campy freehub) were within 75 grams of my Shamals weight-wise but seem faster for that reason.

Best aluminium factory wheelset available.

I wish Campy would produce a Zonda with a more rounded, less box-sectioned rim profile. Or a Shamal with steel spokes.

A Zonda is basically a Eurus/shamal with steel spokes and they ride really well. My 2001 vintage Campy Neutrons and zondas only needed to be retired because I wore through the braking surfaces, otherwise they'd still be going strong; even after racing Cyclocross.

Red Tornado
08-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Campy Protons (however don't think they make them any more) were my fav.

Fulcrum Racing Zero 2W-Fit is the new fav.

Both of these wheel sets owe me nothing. 16 years later Protons still going AFAIK only been trued twice (when I owned them). Fulcrums never been trued or serviced, still roll like new after 6 years.

everbeek
08-01-2019, 11:20 AM
34 years old and still use them on dirt road rides.
-Mike

BigDaddySmooth
08-01-2019, 12:30 PM
20+ years on the them and pretty bomb-proof.

Dino Suegiù
08-01-2019, 02:31 PM
I love Neutron black tubulars, but ime all the Shamals I have used, over many years and various vintages, have been amazing. (There was apparently one "bad" iteration years ago, but I do not recall which one it was). I have never had ever a single issue with the ones I have (and some are ~20 years). Shamals are stellar wheels, have held up remarkably well, and did not cost $2000+.

Zonda are fantastic too from the more recent catalogues; they are so good that they made the Eurus in the Zonda/Eurus/Shamal hierarchy an essentially irrelevant choice. Maybe the best cost/value wheelset around.

93KgBike
08-01-2019, 07:03 PM
I put a bazillion commuter miles on an Atlanta '96 wheelset that I built with steel Sapim bladed spokes and loose bearing Miche hubs. I found it easy to true and bulletproof.

I worried that it was a crazy choice for a commuter bike, especially since their were several railroad crossings along the way (which I knew I'd ride over instead of walking ...) but way back then I owned 2 bikes and commuting was the entirety of my road riding.

Anyway, that wheelset got replaced by the original Shamal, and then a few Mavics showed up, then the Eurus and the G3 and most recently a C17.

In the spring, I built a Ksyrium Elite rear wheel for CX bike - it's goofy threaded, but definitely worth it.

I am a fan of the factory built wheel. Probably won't go back, except to teach the kids.

robertbb
08-01-2019, 07:44 PM
A Zonda is basically a Eurus/shamal with steel spokes and they ride really well. My 2001 vintage Campy Neutrons and zondas only needed to be retired because I wore through the braking surfaces, otherwise they'd still be going strong; even after racing Cyclocross.

Not exactly. The rim profile on the Shamal is rounded, whereas the Zonda is more of a square/box shape.

Both do have the same features such as MOMAG and the weight offset around the spoke and valve holes.

joev
08-01-2019, 08:40 PM
The bike I gave my son, a Cannondale CAAD3, has Campy Chorus 9 speed with Campy Moskva 80 rims/Campy hubs. I put a ton of miles on that bike and never had so much as a slight wobble.

dasein
08-01-2019, 09:02 PM
I have Bora 35's, Bora 50's, neutrons and the low end Scirocco. Had a set of Eurus but sold them. I had a spoke pop randomly on the Neutrons. Flat terrain and slow-moderate speed. Only time that has happened in all the years of riding. Had them fixed (not cheap due to the proprietary spokes), and am still on them. I'm Zonda curious, but worry they might be too stiff for me. That's how I found the Eurus to be. Incoming I've got Clean 39T's TB 14 on record hubs. Looking forward to those. I would never hesitate to buy Campy factory wheels and am sure I will again. Least durable in my experience are the Neutrons, but you knew that.

lhuerta
08-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Agreed. And the companion black spoked Neutrons as well.

yes...NUCLEON /NEUTRON !!!

happycampyer
08-01-2019, 10:19 PM
I have several sets of the Neutron Ultras, and have never had any issues with them (knock on wood). I prefer the ride quality of the Neutrons to the Euruses and Shamals. My all-time favorite Campy wheels are tubular Hyperons. The rims are incredibly durable, and the braking is very good for carbon rims.

shinomaster
08-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Not exactly. The rim profile on the Shamal is rounded, whereas the Zonda is more of a square/box shape.

Both do have the same features such as MOMAG and the weight offset around the spoke and valve holes.

I have both plus Fulcrum 1's and the rims are all more similar than different. What really separates them and affects the ride quality is the aluminum spokes.

parallelfish
08-02-2019, 08:40 AM
I'm Zonda curious, but worry they might be too stiff for me.

I find the Zonda to be a comfortable wheel. The way it absorbs vibration is very noticeable. Initial impact hitting a bump is somewhat muted, and then it just goes quiet. I also find it to be very responsive. These wheels really surprised me.

dasein
08-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Good to know. I'll likely give em a try one of these days.I find the Zonda to be a comfortable wheel. The way it absorbs vibration is very noticeable. Initial impact hitting a bump is somewhat muted, and then it just goes quiet. I also find it to be very responsive. These wheels really surprised me.