PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Carbon Rim

YesNdeed
07-31-2019, 11:25 AM
I picked up a set of HiFi Hit Single 50 depth wheels from a friend for almost nothing. The rear rim is cracked at the bead from a tire lever. The original rims are non-tubeless but I wouldn't mind going either way with tubeless or non. HiFi wants $775 for their new version rim. Besides Light-Bicycle and eBay, any ideas on options for a more budget friendly replacement rim?

yinzerniner
07-31-2019, 11:43 AM
$775 for a rim seems super high.

Derby, Boyd, Nox, Whiskey, Knight, Prime etc. all are very nice, but they're coming from mostly the same factories that build LightBicycle and Nextie rims. You get slightly different designs and dealer support, but overall quality and strength will likely be about the same.

That being said I've had Boyd and Nox rims and can't say enough good things. Would avoid Enve and Zipp rims since they're somewhat overpriced compared to other offerings. Mavic started offering their own rims which have UST but actual reviews haven't been seen yet.

All are pretty expensive other than going Asia direct.

AngryScientist
07-31-2019, 11:50 AM
775 for a replacement rim from a company with the notoriety of HI_FI is overboard. as mentioned i'd go lightbicycle or nextie.

ryker
07-31-2019, 12:10 PM
I've built quite a few Light-Bicycle and Nextie and all have been great. Even with bike industry discounts, I would ride these instead of "branded" carbon.

junkfood
07-31-2019, 12:18 PM
I have had good luck with a few days of FarSports rims. They build up well and perform well.

Jake

YesNdeed
07-31-2019, 12:37 PM
Needless to say the Hi_Fi replacement is not a consideration. Nextie has a free shipping deal that ends today. I’ll have to get cracking on my research! Thanks for all the ideas!

wkeller79
07-31-2019, 02:21 PM
Another vote for Nox!

oldpotatoe
08-01-2019, 07:22 AM
I picked up a set of HiFi Hit Single 50 depth wheels from a friend for almost nothing. The rear rim is cracked at the bead from a tire lever. The original rims are non-tubeless but I wouldn't mind going either way with tubeless or non. HiFi wants $775 for their new version rim. Besides Light-Bicycle and eBay, any ideas on options for a more budget friendly replacement rim?

These guys

http://www.offthefrontracingsystems.com/