PDA

View Full Version : Are tubeless sealants compatible?

AngryScientist
07-31-2019, 10:42 AM
I'm going to need to do a tire change soon.

i have currently mavic branded sealant in there. does it matter what i get, intending to top off my front and change my rear.

Jaybee
07-31-2019, 10:51 AM
Generally, no.

I know that, for example, Stans and Orange Seal seem to react and coagulate almost immediately when mixed. I think this is because Stan's is ammonia-based.

I'd either spring for more Mavic sealant if that is working for you, or clean it out entirely (this will only take 10 minutes and a couple paper towels) and get something else. Orange Seal Endurance is my current favorite for it's mix of longevity, puncture sealing, and ease of use.

Alternately, you can dig into the actual ingredients of the Mavic sealant and see if there is a compatible sealant out there. It's also possible that Mavic sealant is just some other sealant in a Mavic-branded bottle. No idea.

ColonelJLloyd
07-31-2019, 10:54 AM
^ I'll echo exactly what Jaybee said.

ryker
07-31-2019, 11:08 AM
I think Stan's may have traces of ammonia but it's not ammonia-based. Ammonia does not get a mention in the Stan's MSDS data sheet. I'm speaking of current Stan's product and not early formulations.

I would pour out any old sealant before adding a new variety but no need to scrape the insides of your tires or anything.

Jaybee
07-31-2019, 11:40 AM
I think Stan's may have traces of ammonia but it's not ammonia-based. Ammonia does not get a mention in the Stan's MSDS data sheet. I'm speaking of current Stan's product and not early formulations.

I would pour out any old sealant before adding a new variety but no need to scrape the insides of your tires or anything.

This makes sense. My mixing/reaction experience was 5+ years ago.

AngryScientist
07-31-2019, 11:42 AM
thanks guys, this tubeless noob appreciates the advice.

bigbill
07-31-2019, 11:44 AM
I changed over from Stan's to Orange Seal when I moved to AZ. It was time for more sealant anyway. I just unseated the tire, drained out what was left and did a quick wipe out with a rag to get all the lumpy stuff but not wiped clean. Added Orange Seal and was good to go.

dddd
08-01-2019, 05:21 PM
I just bought some extra Mavic wheelsets just to have some extra sealant at hand for now. Got the wheelsets for roughly the price of the included tires and sealant, well almost.

I'll get me another bottle of Mavic sealant if I ever need it, it works well and has stayed liquid all these months. They have both small and large bottles, but I haven't looked into a local source yet.