PDA

View Full Version : Sports psychology recommendation, NYC

uber
07-31-2019, 08:47 AM
Hi all,
I could use a recommendation for a sports psychologist to get me back to riding. I had a recent fall, with only some minor road rash, but I am having a really hard time getting back to riding due to anxiety/panic. So embarrassing. Any help is appreciated. PM is fine too. Thanks in advance.

Jaybee
07-31-2019, 08:52 AM
Hi all,
I could use a recommendation for a sports psychologist to get me back to riding. I had a recent fall, with only some minor road rash, but I am having a really hard time getting back to riding due to anxiety/panic. So embarrassing. Any help is appreciated. PM is fine too. Thanks in advance.

Hey. I don't know anyone in NYC, but I did want to say this.

Don't be embarrassed. You feel what you feel, and your feelings are totally valid. There are more and less productive ways of dealing with those feelings, which is something you can explore with a therapist/sports psychologist, but you don't need to feel bad or less or anything about your response to your recent fall. It is totally understandable that you would not want this to happen again, and that you feel anxious about it. So please don't feel bad about having feelings, which just makes you human.

Ken Robb
07-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Maybe you just gained wisdom?:)

tctyres
07-31-2019, 11:46 AM
I don't have a recommendation, but I wore mountain bike arm guards for more than 9 months after a fall last summer. Falling eats at your confidence for sure. The only way to get back on the bike is to get back on the bike. Find a place that you are comfortable riding, and go for a short ride. Build it up, and keep going. Your confidence will improve, and your fear will subside. That fear is real. I know firsthand.

The first week I took the arm guards off, I fell when I hit a rock in the dark. The one thing that falling does for you is make you good at falling. That final fall was pretty graceful, according to the person behind me.

false_Aest
07-31-2019, 12:11 PM
send me a PM.

I have a friend in NY that can probably point you in the right direction.

-T-

uber
07-31-2019, 04:39 PM
Thanks to all. Much appreciated.