PDA

View Full Version : Prescription cycling glasses recommendations?

overmyhead
07-31-2019, 08:27 AM
Hi all,
It's finally time. I have had limited success with contacts but with a trip coming up I think a pair of cycling prescription glasses is in order.
If you use them can you give me a heads up on the best place to get them?
Thanks

Bruce K
07-31-2019, 08:47 AM
We’ve discussed this a bunch over the years.

A forum search should find several threads.

FWIW - I just received new lenses with up-to-date Rx from Sports Optical in Denver.

“I can see clearly now....”

BK

Jaybee
07-31-2019, 08:55 AM
If you don't have a local provider you trust, Sports Optical and SportRX are going to be the two that come up the most. I've had good experiences with both.

weiwentg
07-31-2019, 08:58 AM
What's your usual brand of sunglasses? In your new glasses, are you looking for something value for money, or something pricier - keeping in mind that you'll need to replace the lenses when your prescription changes? And what's your prescription type, e.g. simple prescription, or do you need progressive lenses?

I'm not sure how well I can advise since I switched to contact lenses, but others will chime in and offer better info. If I were going the glasses route, I think I'd go to a place like Sportrx.com. Most likely I'd get their own brand lenses instead of Oakley's own lenses, which are pricey. The thing is, if you load up on Sport RX's options like mirror finish and anti-scratch coating, the price is pretty close to Oakley's stock Iridium lenses.

If I were going Oakley prescription, I'd be tempted to get a prescription Prizm road lens, but they're very pricey. I think a contrast-enhanced standard Iridium lens would do me fine. Tints like black iridium are color-neutral, so you are seeing in true color (just darker). I believe that tints with a rose base, like positive red iridium, should increase contrast and make some things on the road easier to see. The +red iridium lens is actually pretty close to the Prizm road lens, it's just that the latter is further tuned to increase contrast for certain colors (especially yellows, but I can't recall what others).

Side note: I know trying out different contact lenses isn't a trivial matter, and you may already have done this. If you haven't tried a lot of lenses, the shape of everyones' eyeballs differs slightly. An experienced doctor or lens fitter should be able to get a sense of that and steer you to brands that might fit better. Just putting this on your radar if it isn't already.

benb
07-31-2019, 09:23 AM
Unless your prescription is super super mild just go Sports Optical.

They have tons of options almost everyone else says "Nope, won't/can't do it."

I have a decent amount of astigmatism which makes contacts a disaster. Everyone else told me I needed non-wrap around glasses/inserts. Sports Optical nailed my Rx right out to the edges of wrap around glasses with no inserts.

I have "Rose Copper" it's a great color for cycling.. full sun, in and out of shade (MTB), overcast all fine. I only put on the clear lenses when the weather gets really really bad or for night riding.

I've had 3 pairs of Oakleys and have never felt like the quality was there at Rx prices. They have a lot of frames though.

deechee
07-31-2019, 10:10 AM
Ditto. Search for "sports optical" or "sportrx".

I've always had dry eyes and contacts were always just ok for me. I finally ran out of an old prescription and wow - Oasys Hydraluxe are SO comfortable. I can finally wear a contact all day without it being suction cupped to my eye when I try to take it off, nor do I feel the need to drown my eyes in solution afterwards. If you haven't tried contacts recently - you never know, there might be a good option for you.

For everyday I use Oakley Airdrop MNP frames. They stay on my face during my commute and don't look too stupid. I'm a -5.5 and had Sports Optical Rudy Projects but they were too thick and heavy - due to the curvature. Since I've always had high index lenses, I couldn't stand the extra weight. I'll stick with less curved lenses to my face thank you.

At this point I'd probably try to get a pair of high index transition lenses in some regular Oakleys when clearly.ca has a sale again. (I missed a big one where tinted lenses were free.) When I know I'm going for a long ride it'll always be contacts.

Ruckusdog
07-31-2019, 10:50 AM
I’ve used Sportrx several times for prescription cycling glasses. Great customer service and the lenses seemed spot on.

makoti
07-31-2019, 10:54 AM
I’ve used Sportrx several times for prescription cycling glasses. Great customer service and the lenses seemed spot on.

Was just about to suggest them. Good work & very responsive if you have an issue (I did. They took care of it quickly & without hassle). I'll buy again from them.
FWIW...I use blank lenses with reading bifocals in Rudy Project Rydon frames. Love them.

ultraman6970
07-31-2019, 11:15 AM
sportrx here.

overmyhead
07-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Thanks, I know there were several previous threads but I wanted the most current suggestions. I will check the suggestions out but thank you, thank you for the input on the oasis hydraluxe contacts. My issue exactly has been struggling to get my left contact out to the point where I felt it was glued to my eye! I need to look into these first.

benb
07-31-2019, 01:47 PM
Wish I had that problem, my issue with contacts is they won't stick at all in my eye, I need Torics and one of my eyes the contact lens refuses to stay at the correct orientation.. the doctor went so far as to make me pairs that purposely had the prescription "off" to try and correct for the lens not sitting right and even that wouldn't work because the lens wouldn't consistently end up "off" the same way.

I'm mostly in a good place cycling though. Other sports are a lot harder to get a solution, I'm glad I never played Hockey much.