PDA

View Full Version : Walk-a-bike Poll

Zian
07-30-2019, 09:45 PM
When you dismount and walk with your bike, which side do you walk on?

Louis
07-30-2019, 09:52 PM
Non-drive side.

Easier to steer with right hand, away from chain.

azrider
07-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Non-drive side.

Same

charliedid
07-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Pancakes

Jaybee
07-30-2019, 11:05 PM
Depends on which side of the bike the trail forces me to dismount on. If not forced to dismount, NDS

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2019, 11:15 PM
NDS.

If it doesn't have fenders I sometimes flip it up onto the rear wheel and walk behind it with both hands on the bars.

dsimon
07-31-2019, 06:15 AM
Ditto

Irishgirl
07-31-2019, 07:00 AM
Non-drive side.

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
07-31-2019, 07:03 AM
i bet the norm depends on which side of the body you have dominant. i'm a righty so i grab the stem or saddle nose with my right hand when walking the bike.

edit:

i dont walk my bike. ever.

or coast.

pedal always. on the rivet. always.

bikinchris
07-31-2019, 08:08 AM
You are actually asking if riders are left or right handed.

AJosiahK
07-31-2019, 08:19 AM
Best response thus far

When I have to dismount I dismount non-drive-side, unless forced to on drive-side. CX habits i guess? I also like to at least try to ride everything. Try being the key word there

i bet the norm depends on which side of the body you have dominant. i'm a righty so i grab the stem or saddle nose with my right hand when walking the bike.

edit:

i dont walk my bike. ever.

or coast.

pedal always. on the rivet. always.

Mark McM
07-31-2019, 09:33 AM

^^^^^ This.

People often ask: Why the drivetrain is on the right side of the bike? Why not the left side? The answer is: Most people are right handed. What does that have to do with it, you ask? It's simple:

Most people aren't just right handed, they are right side dominant - their right eye is dominant, and their right leg is dominant. Most people kick a ball with their right leg, when they leap they land on their right leg - and when they mount or straddle something (such as a horse or bicycle), they throw their right leg over. To throw the right leg over generally means mounting from the left side. Since most people naturally mount a bike from the left, we also tend to walk a bike from the left. And so, to protect a rider from the drivetrain (when walking or mounting a bike), the drivetrain is on the right.

Zian
07-31-2019, 09:44 AM
^^^^^ This.

People often ask: Why the drivetrain is on the right side of the bike? Why not the left side? The answer is: Most people are right handed. What does that have to do with it, you ask? It's simple:

Most people aren't just right handed, they are right side dominant - their right eye is dominant, and their right leg is dominant. Most people kick a ball with their right leg, when they leap they land on their right leg - and when they mount or straddle something (such as a horse or bicycle), they throw their right leg over. To throw the right leg over generally means mounting from the left side. Since most people naturally mount a bike from the left, we also tend to walk a bike from the left. And so, to protect a rider from the drivetrain (when walking or mounting a bike), the drivetrain is on the right.

I was wondering if that's the underlying association. I'm guessing even most left-handed people dismount/walk on the non-drive side since they just adapt to a right handed world. Just seeing some people walk on the drive side recently made me wonder how frequent it is.

ColonelJLloyd
07-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Is it really that simple? I'm right handed so I can't speak to it, but aren't most lefties pretty used to and adept at living in a "right handed world". A left-handed person walks their bike on the drive side, asserting their left-handed pride and taking extra care to avoid chain stain? I just doubt any left-handed person is not going to use the side that makes most practical sense. I mean, on a bike path left-handed riders don't pass other cyclists on the right do they? I doubt any lefty doesn't have the coordination to walk their bike on the NDS.

b3pkay
07-31-2019, 10:02 AM
Left hander here, always dismount and walk on the non drive side...

Red Tornado
07-31-2019, 01:09 PM
NDS. Away from chain.

Seramount
07-31-2019, 01:20 PM
hmmm, the only time I walk my bike is from the front door to the driveway...after that, I'm on the saddle and pedaling...

Frankwurst
07-31-2019, 02:36 PM
I generally walk it from the side that will get me to the beer with the least amount of steps and effort.:beer:

Jad
07-31-2019, 09:00 PM
I walk it/run it on the non-drive side. My inclination to be on that side is strong too--in long enough runs in CX races, if forced off the drive side, I'll awkwardly shift around the bike so I can run on the non-drive side.

Zian
08-02-2019, 01:33 PM
I want to hear from the 2 drive side folks

Davist
08-02-2019, 02:11 PM
another lefty, NDS, and yes, we adapt to the right handed world. What may be a corollary and interesting is which foot forward do you coast with? As a former BMXer, it was hard to learn to jump with either foot forward, naturally I coasted left foot forward (kinda like skateboard/snowboard). Not a big deal on the road of course, but can make a difference off road and especially in the air..

bcroslin
08-02-2019, 02:14 PM
gahhhh, I accidentally selected drive side! always non-drive CX dismount!

William
08-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Being ambi I could go either or. But I do some things lefty and some things righty, in this case I would tend to go left so I would generally be on the drive side...especially if I'm walking the side of a road.

W.

Zian
08-02-2019, 03:22 PM
another lefty, NDS, and yes, we adapt to the right handed world. What may be a corollary and interesting is which foot forward do you coast with? As a former BMXer, it was hard to learn to jump with either foot forward, naturally I coasted left foot forward (kinda like skateboard/snowboard). Not a big deal on the road of course, but can make a difference off road and especially in the air..

Ah that's another one! I'm super "regular" footed i.e. left foot forward. I think it definitely comes from growing skateboarding. Even when I coast right foot forward, I find I don't naturally weight my left-foot as much even though it's at the bottom of the stroke.