PDA

View Full Version : Strip down and re-build...for no reason

ricardinho
07-30-2019, 01:43 PM
Have you guys ever just stripped down your bike to the bare frame...only to re-build it, not because it requires maintenance...but just because?

berserk87
07-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Not even for a moment, but if you are in the mood, I can send my road rig your way...

Spaghetti Legs
07-30-2019, 02:02 PM
No, but I do that to every new-used bike I get and I do that often enough to scratch the itch.

Clean39T
07-30-2019, 02:22 PM
No, but I do that to every new-used bike I get and I do that often enough to scratch the itch.This. And I love the process, so I get your drive to do it...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

donevwil
07-30-2019, 02:27 PM
There you have it Ricardinho, you clearly need to buy more used bikes.

Same here, I get my fill R&R'ing, tearing down and re-building new acquisitions, or trying new parts. Some times I overdue it, I currently have only one functioning road bike and four awaiting some level of re-work or re-assembly. All my wife's bikes, however, are in perfect working order.

Matthew
07-30-2019, 02:28 PM
Nope. Because when I get it dialed in I don't want to mess with it. I've often thought I could make my shifting that much better or adjust this setting just a hair. And then I mess with it and then wonder why I did as it usually didn't need it in the first place.

bigbill
07-30-2019, 02:47 PM
When I was turning 8K+ miles a year predominately on one bike, every winter I'd replace the cables/housings, thoroughly clean everything with some solvent and a toothbrush, remove the crankset and replace the UT bearings, and install a new chain and cassette. I'd use the same cassette for a few chains but time it out to replace both in December.

Now I've got a bunch of different bikes so I spread out the mileage.

hokoman
07-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Heck no. I actually hate working on my bikes now that I am older... a lot of times, projects just sit with parts laying around the bike they are suppose to go on.

vqdriver
07-30-2019, 03:06 PM
there was a time that i did that with everything i bought used, bikes or otherwise. it was a good exercise in getting to know the ins and outs as well as ensuring things were cleaned and lubed the way i like. this was especially true back when you could get into headset and bb bearings.
then i just got tired of it.
now i generally don't mess with it unless there's an actual reason.
fwiw, used bikes could typically use new cables and tape anyway which also allows you to fine tune the lever angles and stem length etc.

ScottW
07-30-2019, 03:46 PM
No.
I have too many other things vying for my attention. If I have time to do work on the bikes that doesn't actually need to be done, I'd rather spend that time riding. The bikes do get a wipe-down and cursory inspection between rides, and any needs are addressed when they crop up. They are not neglected by any means.
I've been accumulating SR 11 mechanical bits to convert the road steed from 6800. Pretty excited for that to happen, but I'm waiting for winter. Don't want to risk boogering something or realizing I'm missing some miscellaneous part that causes unnecessary downtime during nice outdoor riding weather.

Jaybee
07-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Not any more. I used to treat my bikes like a Lego set, swapping in this or that, burn an evening recabling something, spending a spare 20 minutes here or there dialing in a derailleur.

Then I got a wife/house/real job/kids and any time that I can devote to bikes is gonna be riding. I'll keep up with maintenance enough that I don't lose ride time during the spring/summer/fall, but any real projects are probably waiting until the winter. Maybe this winter, maybe even the next.

keevon
07-30-2019, 03:58 PM
My 3 year old son loves to take apart his Lego monster truck just to rebuild it again. He enjoys the process of building the truck as much or more than playing with the truck itself.

I can completely relate to that feeling. There's a lot of joy to be found in the process of building a bike!

seanile
07-30-2019, 04:46 PM
ive built a single speed with 4 different component sets in the past year and maybe only rode it 40 miles cumulatively. it's fun to just disconnect and wrench on a bike, and sample some different builds sometimes

Mzilliox
07-30-2019, 05:02 PM
i call it cleaning:cool:

kiwisimon
07-30-2019, 05:06 PM
once a year. teardown, clean and inspect and rebuild with new grease, paste cables (if needed) and bar tape.

wallymann
07-30-2019, 08:36 PM
never considered this. ever.

jtbadge
07-30-2019, 08:37 PM
I've changed drivetrains just to try a different groupset a few times, and certainly frameswapped just to frameswap, but never tore down just to tear down.

Morgul Bismark
07-30-2019, 08:48 PM
I've changed drivetrains just to try a different groupset a few times, but never tore down just to tear down.

This

I definitely enjoy trying out different group sets.

My first EVO started with Red 10 speed then went to 9000.

Then I got an EVO HiMod that started with Ultegra 6800 mechanical to 9000 to eTap 11 to Record 11 speed mechanical

my Cielo started with Record 11 mechanical and then went to 9100

My Breadwinner B-Road has only ever had Ultegra 8070.

Latest bike is a Kirk lugged Terraplane that started with 9100 and now has Record 12.

Ronsonic
07-30-2019, 09:09 PM
I used to do that stuff all the time.

Now I'm old and don't do it enough.

It is the best way to freshen your bike.

ricardinho
07-30-2019, 09:25 PM
There you have it Ricardinho, you clearly need to buy more used bikes.

Same here, I get my fill R&R'ing, tearing down and re-building new acquisitions, or trying new parts. Some times I overdue it, I currently have only one functioning road bike and four awaiting some level of re-work or re-assembly. All my wife's bikes, however, are in perfect working order.

All I do is buy used bikes...maybe that’s the problem.

rustychisel
07-30-2019, 11:15 PM
Yes.

If it's a bike I'm going to ride a bunch it gets the full treatment... strip down to all bearings, BB, headset fittings are checked.

That way I know the quality and level of wear, I know what is likely to need further attention, and I know the torque of every fitting on the bike.

In a way it's my insurance. If it breaks I should have known about it. Once I found a cracked frame (headtube lug, very dangerous location) nobody else had spotted.

fogrider
07-31-2019, 03:05 AM
No, not just to rebuild it. But I do rebuild my bikes with new parts or swamp parts to fine tune each bike. In fact I'm about to do that with two of my bikes soon.

oldpotatoe
07-31-2019, 06:03 AM
Have you guys ever just stripped down your bike to the bare frame...only to re-build it, not because it requires maintenance...but just because?

About once a year I overhaul my 2 bikes..which means taking it apart..:)
A way to maybe find things that may be in need of lubrication or replacement..
Good idea to open BB, headset and hubs..clean, lube..
You 'could' just ride it to failure or some disgusting noise but that's a good way to get stranded...:)

R3awak3n
07-31-2019, 06:06 AM
When I pack the bike for travel, I take the damn thing almost fully apart. I don't have to but the bike stays a lot more protected that way. I definitely do not enjoy this though but has worked well so far.

Clancy
07-31-2019, 08:47 AM
About once a year I overhaul my 2 bikes..which means taking it apart..:)
A way to maybe find things that may be in need of lubrication or replacement..
Good idea to open BB, headset and hubs..clean, lube..
You 'could' just ride it to failure or some disgusting noise but that's a good way to get stranded...:)

I follow this same routine. Greatly extends component life. Freshly lubed cables (I use Slick Honey or Dumonde Tech Liquid Grease) makes for a happy bike. Fresh tape and a solid cleaning makes it a new bike.

Four cables at $3.00 each plus a couple of hours of easy labor more than worthwhile.