PDA

View Full Version : A faster way to break in a new saddle?

sharky
05-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to soften up a new saddle other than riding on it? I ride a San Marco era and they feel great after a few thousand miles but are a little too firm when new. I try to buy them used when possible which works out great comfort wise but usually they are somewhat tattered. The most comfortable one I have must be 4 yrs old and looks bad. This last new one, an era k, I have under the workbench table leg with a neoprene water sandal covering it. Must be about 80 lbs of weight that has been on there for about two weeks now and I havent noticed it getting any softer, although I haven't ridden it yet. I am thinking the foam or eva type material must break down after a while just like running shoes or an old sofa. Or is it the thumping on it rather than steady weight that breaks them down? Any suggestions?

Peter
05-09-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm not of the belief that you can break in a plastic shelled saddle, so I find it difficult to believe that's been your experience. I'd love to hear other's opinions on this.

It's entirely possible the new saddle you have was constructed with a higher durometer foam for whatever reason.

I personally know that saddles can be constructed with a variety of foam densities because I have two WTB SST saddles and one is clearly firmer than the other, with the more expensive leather/titanium model being firmer, whether sitting on it or depressing it with a finger.

Good Luck.

jdesalvo
05-10-2004, 05:56 AM
In all seriousness I used to have the same complaint about new saddles. The break-in period on my new Fitzik Alliante was one ride -- it is that comfortable. But, unlike those god-awful gel thingies out there today, the Fitzik still feels great after 100 miles in a day (or 2,000 this season so far). My old favorite saddle (before this one) was the old 1990 vintage San Marco Regal (the thing that weighed as much as 3 modern saddles -- but boy was it a good ride!).

Jason

Climb01742
05-10-2004, 08:09 AM
i second the aliante. absolutely no break-in necessary. i've been riding an arione on one of my bikes, and while ok, the aliante still gets my personal vote as best saddle out there right now. highly personal and subjective, i know, but...