PDA

View Full Version : New Gravel Tire Recommendations??

AngryScientist
07-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Hi gang. Group think sourcing a recommendation.

My ritchey is currently on GK SK's in 32c. As you can see below on my 22mm (internal) rim wheels, they blow up to a hair over 34mm, which i have found is absolutely ideal for the riding i'm doing with this bike.

this tire has exactly 563 miles on it and as you can see, the middle row of knobs is just about gone. i've got a few more big rides and then off to D2R2 with this bike, and i'm thinking i should replace the rear once the center strip is down to the base material with all the knobs worn off.

now, i understand there is no free lunch, and that a supple fast tire wears quick, but just under 600 miles is a bit fast wearing i think. if this was a road only tire, i would just wear it down to the threads, but for gravel, i like to have a little meat left... with that in mind i want to get another tire on the rear before deerfield in a few weeks.

the nature of the "gravel" riding i do out here is means realistically 65/35 road/dirt is the usual mix, so these tires do see a lot of pavement too.

would like thoughts on a different rear that measures about exactly the same on the rims i have, does not weigh more than the SK and rides well on roads as well as some knobs for grip offroad. i like to stand and climb, so some bite from the rear tire is much appreciated.

must be tubeless compatible.

thoughts?

in reality, i love the way these tires ride, and i may just replace it with another of the same.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q-A4nVx3G1M/XUCCWppAdFI/AAAAAAAADQo/DLAJnN2KWBcTrCuzCaCF_yFyCmzovHxHACLcBGAs/s900/IMG_4317.jpg

prototoast
07-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Lately I've been gravitating towards bigger and slicker tires for gravel. I find a GravelKing 38 rolls faster than a GK SK 32 without any appreciable loss in traction.

AngryScientist
07-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Lately I've been gravitating towards bigger and slicker tires for gravel. I find a GravelKing 38 rolls faster than a GK SK 32 without any appreciable loss in traction.

thanks, but not interested in anything fatter than what i'm running for the riding i've been doing. i might not even be able to squeeze 38's into my frame with the wide rims.

jfranci3
07-30-2019, 01:17 PM
What does gravel mean to you? Sand? Mud? If not, I'd stick with the worn GK SK. I've found the GK SKs to roll a bit slower than some of the other current options. If you've some mud/sand/snow, Schwalbe G-one All Around are good for most conditions. . The Vittoria Terreno line is pretty good too.

EDIT: looks like the G-One doesn't come in 32-33c. I see the x-one does.

joosttx
07-30-2019, 01:18 PM
CHeck out the Hutchinson Overrides. They claim 35mm wide but their 38mm tires are more like 37mm so they may work. I ride the 38mm tire and it’s very good.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Hutchinson-Override-Gravel-700C-Tire

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2019, 01:21 PM
Why do the knobs/ribs on those tires look so dry and brittle? Is it just dried mud on them?

Pressure seems to be a big factor in tire wear. Perhaps those tires would wear slower if you dropped the psi a bit? I'd probably be inclined to buy one more and see how it fares.

Other possible options are Schwalbe G-One Allround in 35mm and Hutchinson Overide 35mm.

AngryScientist
07-30-2019, 01:27 PM
Why do the knobs/ribs on those tires look so dry and brittle? Is it just dried mud on them?

this is a good question actually. i wonder if when they tried to produce these tires in the limited edition colors (these are green...) the compound was effected a bit? they are in fact cracking at the tread quite a bit.

recall also, that these have under 600m on them and i weigh 135#

CNY rider
07-30-2019, 01:42 PM
this is a good question actually. i wonder if when they tried to produce these tires in the limited edition colors (these are green...) the compound was effected a bit? they are in fact cracking at the tread quite a bit.

recall also, that these have under 600m on them and i weigh 135#

Those are a mess for such low mileage.
I might switch just based on that fact.
I like Conti Cyclocross Speed in 700x35.
I doubt they are any bigger than your current tire.
I got a set of compass Steilacoom for Farmers Daughter and they are superb but definitely wider than what you have now.

merckx
07-30-2019, 02:08 PM
Stay with what you have, but purchase black ones. The colors are rubbish.

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Stay with what you have, but purchase black ones.

Sound plan really.

shoota
07-30-2019, 02:35 PM
Bro those are just getting broken in! They'll just keep getting faster as they wear too, which is awesome since you put so many miles on the pavement with them. At <35mm knobs aren't going to help you stand on a climb and get traction anyway. The only other tire in that size range I haven't seen mentioned is the Terreno Dry 33, but honestly, for your riding, the worn down GKSK is the bomb.

marley
07-30-2019, 03:03 PM
Schwalbe G One speed (https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/G-ONE_Speed)

Rolls fast and has been wearing well, this will be my second D2R2 on these tires - I use them commuting also. Bomb proof on the rough roads.

sparky33
07-30-2019, 03:35 PM
CHeck out the Hutchinson Overrides. They claim 35mm wide but their 38mm tires are more like 37mm so they may work. I ride the 38mm tire and it’s very good.

The Override 35 is an uber good tubeless skinnyish semislick, runs pretty close to 35 iirc.

You could also consider ye olde Clement/Donnelly MXP cx tire which plumps to 35ish and feels mighty good on dirt, paved and whathaveyou. Don't be dismayed by the cx'ing tread.

weisan
07-30-2019, 03:51 PM
in reality, i love the way these tires ride, and i may just replace it with another of the same.

angry pal, it's good to check around every once in a while to see what people are using/doing and what's available in the market, like what you are doing here.

Having said that, I think you will be just as happy sticking with GK.

Personally, I think my current gravel bike has reached the state of nirvana with GK 27.5x1.9 (https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/panaracer-gravel-king-sk-tubeless-compatible-clincher-tire/11567290.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=USD&shippingcountry=US&variation=11567296&shoppingpid=TOP10_230318_&&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000012939061&gclid=CjwKCAjw1f_pBRAEEiwApp0JKM-aXVNMUqTSpFLl8WV5d6WSTSGHG3vbm-9i4jVKBRDAhYlFHj7H9BoCKrYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds). That's what I would ride if I am going to D2R2 this year but unfortunately, I won't so I would have to channel myself through you on that ride....

Duende
07-30-2019, 04:15 PM
As others have said, the override 35 is probably ideal for you. Great road tires and hold up very well in the loose rock gravel up here in NoCal. If you feel adventurous, I also have to mention the Rene herse Steilacomms. They measure just under 38 on mg 21mm internal rims. Debatable if they are as good as the overrides on road, but definitely grip better on the dirt...

Mzilliox
07-30-2019, 05:09 PM
Ill toss one out thats a bit different that i have been riding for over a year now.

Challenge Almanzos

33mm, kinda tweener on the knobby vs slick meter, fast (i have a road KOM on them), and so far durable. I have the all black version and they have held up well.

they are certainly better at climbing gravel (read more grip) than my 32mm gravel king slicks or 35mm slicks.

some folks worry about challenge, but i have had to sets of clinchers and a set of tubulars and never an issue.

however, they are not easy to mount

Ttx1
07-30-2019, 05:31 PM
Last year I ran the Clement / now Donnely LAS for a while and found them to be decently fast rolling and good for most New England conditions from single track to Deerfield type roads.

Presently riding the Compass Bon Jon ELs for everything, they are lighter/faster/better on the road and amazingly just as good as mild knobbies on not-pavement.

I rode the BJs last week in a town forest ride with a bunch of guys on MTBs with ~ 3" tires and gave up zero on short, punchy climbs with sharp rocks and roots - although they dusted me on the downhills...

I've got > 1k (mostly paved) miles on my current set with relatively little wear. I expected these tires to wear quickly, but I've been pleasantly surprised with durability so far.

At 35c, this might work for you.

If I wasn't running these, I'd prob look at the Gravel King file tread tires.

AngryScientist
07-30-2019, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys, one thing is for sure, i want to get it right the first time, as once i set up a tubeless tire, i intend to run it till dead.

i was actually looking at the challenge gravel grinder TLR in 33c.

anyone run those?

jtbadge
07-30-2019, 05:47 PM
As long as the Challenge you get is a vulcanized/tubeless version and not their cotton sidewall “open tubular,” probably a nice tire.

I’m shocked your GK SK wore/cracked so fast, you’re probably on to something with the different color tread having a bad compound.

AngryScientist
07-30-2019, 06:02 PM
As long as the Challenge you get is a vulcanized/tubeless version and not their cotton sidewall “open tubular,” probably a nice tire.

I’m shocked your GK SK wore/cracked so fast, you’re probably on to something with the different color tread having a bad compound.

i bet that's right. i have used the SK before and didnt notice such fast wear, but at the rate i'm going with this one, i dont want to be into the final layer there, in the middle of a big ride. i bet the compound is just not up to task on the colored tires.

zlin
07-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Ill toss one out thats a bit different that i have been riding for over a year now.

Challenge Almanzos

33mm, kinda tweener on the knobby vs slick meter, fast (i have a road KOM on them), and so far durable. I have the all black version and they have held up well.

I also ride and recommend Challenge Almanzos. I ride them daily in tubular on my commuter. No issues on pavement with weekend dirt/gravel/chipseal. I'll move to the clincher version when they wear out but they've been going a long, long time without issue.

Sparshall
07-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys, one thing is for sure, i want to get it right the first time, as once i set up a tubeless tire, i intend to run it till dead.

i was actually looking at the challenge gravel grinder TLR in 33c.

anyone run those?

I have a pair of Challenge Gravel Grinders for Sale: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=240420

Another recommendation: I have the WTB Exposure 34s and really like them. Fast on pavement and some grip for loose turns or climbing.

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2019, 09:11 PM
I wonder if your tires are from a bad batch. Hard to believe Panaracer produced that many tires that degrade like that.

I understand the sentiment, but IME it's really not a big deal at all. I've seen you mention this before. Have you had a bad experience changing a tubeless tire?

charliedid
07-30-2019, 10:02 PM
Hi gang. Group think sourcing a recommendation.

My ritchey is currently on GK SK's in 32c. As you can see below on my 22mm (internal) rim wheels, they blow up to a hair over 34mm, which i have found is absolutely ideal for the riding i'm doing with this bike.

this tire has exactly 563 miles on it and as you can see, the middle row of knobs is just about gone. i've got a few more big rides and then off to D2R2 with this bike, and i'm thinking i should replace the rear once the center strip is down to the base material with all the knobs worn off.

now, i understand there is no free lunch, and that a supple fast tire wears quick, but just under 600 miles is a bit fast wearing i think. if this was a road only tire, i would just wear it down to the threads, but for gravel, i like to have a little meat left... with that in mind i want to get another tire on the rear before deerfield in a few weeks.

the nature of the "gravel" riding i do out here is means realistically 65/35 road/dirt is the usual mix, so these tires do see a lot of pavement too.

would like thoughts on a different rear that measures about exactly the same on the rims i have, does not weigh more than the SK and rides well on roads as well as some knobs for grip offroad. i like to stand and climb, so some bite from the rear tire is much appreciated.

must be tubeless compatible.

thoughts?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q-A4nVx3G1M/XUCCWppAdFI/AAAAAAAADQo/DLAJnN2KWBcTrCuzCaCF_yFyCmzovHxHACLcBGAs/s900/IMG_4317.jpg

I'm very surprised by the amount of wear as well. Any chance the tires came in contact with something caustic that may have dried them out?

Weird

Likes2ridefar
07-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Donnelly strada ush 32 served me well. I rode the crap out of them on gnarly single track to commuting daily. Wayyyy more miles than you got. Great tire I wouldn’t hesitate to get again, but since I like to try new tires each go, I’m on the slick gk 32 for a few days now.

I can tell the gks roll a bit faster but I’m doubtful they’ll hold up on the gravel I ride or even the commute.. They look like a road tire and felt pretty thin when mounting. I can’t imagine they will take cactus spines or big rocks I sometimes find myself hitting.

The Donnelly’s, as far as I could tell, never once got a cut or puncture in the many miles I put on them till the rear wore out.

Clancy
07-30-2019, 10:37 PM
It’s the nature of knobby tires to wear quickly when ridden on pavement. Each individual know is experiencing downward, side, and twisting pressure simultaneously while attempting to do what they’re suppose to do which is grip. They’re designed to “squirm” all around on loose gravel, but pavement just eats ‘em up. I use to ride dual sport 70/30 tires, m/c version of the GK SK’s, on my BMW G/S and they wore like crazy.

With that said, for a fast rolling dual purpose tire that gives a good ride, reasonably light, and is easy to set of tubeless, I have not found one better.

I have switched over to the Panaracer GK smooth tread tires and found them to be almost as good on gravel when set-up tubeless and ridden at low PSI. Faster on pavement.i expect them to wear better and so far they are, but I expect not to get the miles that I would on some of the other options. Those tires are usually heavier and lower TPI and ride harsher. The GK’s are very supple and almost feel like a 32c Vittoria Open Corsa, if there were such a tire. I’m more than willing to give up some mileage for ride quality. Life is too short to ride hard tires. I have a stash of 27c Vittoria Corsa’s tires for my road bikes. Yes, with those tires I get punctures and they wear faster than others but the ride is worth it.

If you ride more pavement than dirt, the smooth gK’s. If more dirt than pavement, then stick with the SK’s (black just to see?) But even then, you give up very little to the smooth version.

Tubeless is the only way to go, no debate here, for gravel bikes. I’m still on the fence with road bikes.

jtbadge
07-30-2019, 10:40 PM
Sure, knobby tires wear down quickly on pavement, but this is too fast for a "gravel" tire. Hell, I still have WTB Nanos that have more of their original tread left than this that probably have 2500 miles. The cracking in the compound is a sure signal that something is not right with those tires.

Duende
07-31-2019, 12:34 AM
Bon Jon’s are great. For gravel flats and road they are amazing. But for rollers on rocky gravel the rear wheel tends to spin out on the uphills... even with weigh compensations. My .02. Love them, and came close to working in nocal topography, but ultimately I personally needed some knobbies. :). My .02. It really depends on your own needs and location.

R3awak3n
07-31-2019, 03:19 AM
I just put these in my bike and really liking them so I say stick with them. Give them another try because they are excellent. I agree that something could be wrong with your tire, thats very low mileage. I kill tires but I am 100 lbs heavier than you. I have worn rear tires out in less than 1000 miles, a lot.

Personally I would stay away from anything challenge but thats just me.
I have been intrigued by the g-one. Thats what i was going to buy but pns was put and had the sk so gave that a try

AngryScientist
07-31-2019, 06:46 AM
You guys are confirming what i was thinking. I may send this pic to panaracer just to see what they think or if they have had other complaints from the colored casing tires.

going to try and rack up another long ride on this bike this weekend and probably pull it off.

i have a few options in the garage as back-ups too, including a set of Overrides.

AngryScientist
07-31-2019, 06:48 AM
I'm very surprised by the amount of wear as well. Any chance the tires came in contact with something caustic that may have dried them out?

Weird

That would be strange - can't imagine where i would have picked something like that up, unless it was in the road somewhere.

I understand the sentiment, but IME it's really not a big deal at all. I've seen you mention this before. Have you had a bad experience changing a tubeless tire?

i just think it would be a little messy pulling a tire off that is full of sealant, not a big deal for sure, but not something i would do as thoughtlessly as with tubed clinchers. I have a lot of wheels anyway so this is not a huge issue :)

Jaybee
07-31-2019, 08:08 AM
That would be strange - can't imagine where i would have picked something like that up, unless it was in the road somewhere.

i just think it would be a little messy pulling a tire off that is full of sealant, not a big deal for sure, but not something i would do as thoughtlessly as with tubed clinchers. I have a lot of wheels anyway so this is not a huge issue :)

FWIW, I used to think this too. In reality you have to be slightly more careful than with a tubed clincher, but as long as you remember which side is down, it’s not real messy. Been forever since I had an actual sealant mess in the garage or on the road.

Clancy
07-31-2019, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=AngryScientist;2573277
i just think it would be a little messy pulling a tire off that is full of sealant, not a big deal for sure, but not something i would do as thoughtlessly as with tubed clinchers. I have a lot of wheels anyway so this is not a huge issue :)[/QUOTE]

I have a couple of large syringes purchased from Tractor Supply, cheap. Sure they’re available on line from other sources. Break the bead on the tire at 12 o’clock. Carefully rotate tire down and use the syringe to suck out the sealant.

To refill I use the Stan’s 2 oz squeeze bottle, tip fits nicely into the presta stem w/ the core removed. With the tire completely mounted, remove the core, rotate to 9 o’clock and fill. Install the core and inflate.

Easy to do. More steps then changing a tube, but when it works, it’s great.

jfranci3
07-31-2019, 10:40 AM

On the road, by the time you're changing it, all the sealant is outside of the tire :)

At home, you want to wash the wheel anyway, so I have a hose ready to go.

The bigger issue is all the dried sealant coating the inside of the tire and bead. Some of that you want to remove and it's a pain. This right here is the worst thing about TL.

merlinmurph
08-01-2019, 08:32 PM
Ahhh, tires. A subject that offers more opinions than politics. Here's my take.

Do you really need/want a knobby tire? Honestly, I don't see the point of having knobby tires for gravel rides, especially on the rides I've seen you do thru your pics showing you riding on well-maintained dirt roads. Add to that, you ride a lot of pavement on those tires, so you just end up wearing out the knobs in a few hundred miles.

My local dirt rides consist of mostly singletrack, with your expected New England rocks, roots, etc. I just got back from a trip to Cape Cod and rode a bunch of nice trails in the kettle pond area of Wellfleet. I have never, ever wished I had knobs on my tires. Never. FWIW, I'm riding the Clement/Donnelly X'PLOR MSO 40mm.

Also, I think you'll find that riders doing events like DK200 ride pretty smooth tires.

So seriously, do you really think you need knobbies?
Does anybody here use a knobby tire for gravel?

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

spoonrobot
08-01-2019, 08:55 PM
Green tire tread is notoriously fast wearing, it's silica based without carbon black and has very poor wear resistance but good grip in the wet. Green michelin mud cyclocross tubs could be worn out after one race in rocky, wet soil.

I'd get another pair or just a pair with black tread.

Gummee
08-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Schwalbe G One speed (https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/G-ONE_Speed)

Rolls fast and has been wearing well, this will be my second D2R2 on these tires - I use them commuting also. Bomb proof on the rough roads.

I have regular G Ones on my gravel wheels. They ride surprisingly well and roll quickly

M

Hilltopperny
08-01-2019, 09:07 PM
I would give the Schwalbe G-one allround in 35mm a try. It is what I run on my drifter with Reynolds ATR wheels and they measure 35.2mm on a digital caliper.

Great tires for the kind of riding you do and I havent had any issues yet after a couple of years of use.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

Likes2ridefar
08-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Do you really need/want a knobby tire? Honestly, I don't see the point of having knobby tires for gravel rides, especially on the rides I've seen you do thru your pics showing you riding on well-maintained dirt roads. Add to that, you ride a lot of pavement on those tires, so you just end up wearing out the knobs in a few hundred miles.

My local dirt rides consist of mostly singletrack, with your expected New England rocks, roots, etc. I just got back from a trip to Cape Cod and rode a bunch of nice trails in the kettle pond area of Wellfleet. I have never, ever wished I had knobs on my tires. Never. FWIW, I'm riding the Clement/Donnelly X'PLOR MSO 40mm.

Also, I think you'll find that riders doing events like DK200 ride pretty smooth tires.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

Agree, fast harder center and some grippy softer edges gets me through anything I’ve faced and I’d bet my gravel is smoother on the canals in Phx than anywhere and nastier in the wild than most places.

I like the mso tires you ride as well. Great tire.

Likes2ridefar
08-01-2019, 10:00 PM
I have regular G Ones on my gravel wheels. They ride surprisingly well and roll quickly

M

This one has been my favorite but it’s so expensive and I’ve ruined a few prematurely, enough to push me away...

Edit: I actually used the speed version. Great tire.

dmurphey
08-01-2019, 10:22 PM

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

Hey murph, Im a murph and I agree w you. I went over to small knobbies w WTB Resolute 650 x 42's to see if this would help in stretches of loose sand that I sometimes have to deal w on gravel rides. It was not much better in the loose stuff and not as much fun most of the time. I am back to Panaracer Paris Moto 650 x 42's as they are bald and beautiful. File tread or no tread fat tires roll better on the road and do very well on most gravel. I enjoy the great traction and cushy ride of fat tires when it is wet, nasty or dirty.

jambee
08-02-2019, 02:22 AM
Maybe too obvious but Rene Herse tires are amazing on gravel. They have 32mm, 35mm and 38mm so you're all set.

DRZRM
08-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Yup, and I love the tread on my Steilacooms, and they fly on pavement without any premature wear. I can't imagine using anything but Rene Herse/Compass tires. It really is an amazing tire, but too large for Angry's needs.

Maybe too obvious but Rene Herse tires are amazing on gravel. They have 32mm, 35mm and 38mm so you're all set.

AngryScientist
08-02-2019, 06:48 AM
yea, if those knobby compass tires came in a 33 or so, i'd be on them. i think the 38's on wide internal rims would sneak into my frame, but i think it's too much tire for what i'm doing.

i have a set of bon-jons tucked away that i may throw on at some point, but for now, i have a challenge gravel grinder 33 on order that should fit the bill.

still need to get a new bottle of sealant.

Zee
08-02-2019, 07:01 AM
Somewhat on topic, but what is the best practice for cleaning out dried sealant?

Mzilliox
08-02-2019, 08:59 AM
For the person who asked...
I think i already wrote this:
Yes, i think knobby tires are more grippy on the gravel i ride.
i have ridden smooth 32 and 35mm tires and when you get on a part that is between 17-30% pitch, you are gonna walk the bike because your tires wont grab.
With the Almanzos, i can ride up it.
thats all the science i got.

if i didnt have pitchy climbs, i dont think the knobs would do much. though i do wonder about handling at speed, they could help corner at more speed...

AngryScientist
08-02-2019, 09:06 AM
i honestly can not tell the difference between the amanzo and the gravel grinder race. both come in 33c. the tread looks pretty darn similar. file tread with knobs outside.

i got a gravel grinder on the way...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cpwAAOSwh6pcvoVu/s-l640.jpg

https://images.amain.com/images/large/bikes/challenge/01938.jpg?width=950

Mzilliox
08-02-2019, 09:08 AM
i honestly can not tell the difference between the amanzo and the gravel grinder race. both come in 33c. the tread looks pretty darn similar. file tread with knobs outside.

bigger knobs on the gravel grinder is all i can see

Hilltopperny
08-02-2019, 09:44 AM
I have almanzos on my wifes bike and a set of gravel grinder pros in 36mm. The only difference that I can see is the size of the knobs on the ggp look a couple of mm larger.

Both look like great gravel tires with the less knobby center tread and larger knobs at the end. They are pretty nice looking tires. I was out tooling around on my wifes bike the other day in my yard and the almanzos felt like a very supple and with excellent grip.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

merckx
08-02-2019, 09:46 AM

One of them blows off the rim a little quicker than the other. I don't remember which one though.

2metalhips
08-02-2019, 10:11 AM
I've been using GG race 120 tpi 38's for years with latex tubes, on Stans rims. Really nice tires.

AngryScientist
08-02-2019, 10:15 AM
I've been using GG race 120 tpi 38's for years with latex tubes, on Stans rims. Really nice tires.

good to hear. i'll be setting this up in the rear tubeless, hopefully easily enough. will report back with actual inflated size and ease of tubeless set-up.

i must say, the gravel kings set up tubeless with no effort at all with a floor pump.

jambee
08-02-2019, 10:48 AM
I have to paraphrase Jan Heine here a little:

the only type of riding where your knobs will help with grip is on mud. Otherwise, slicks are fine.

Jaybee
08-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Re: side knobs. I kinda like having some side knob on any non-paved surface. The knobs on a lot of these gravel tires are so small as to not really offer much in the way of actual grip railing a loose corner (at least when your frame of reference is the Minions on your MTB), but they do offer something the slicks don't, which is feedback. With slick tires on a loose surface, there's not a real demarcation between "locked in" and "oh ****." With some side knob, I can usually feel just a tiny bit of hookup and feel when I'm losing that hookup.

dem
08-02-2019, 02:57 PM
In theory, knobs can help in only a few situations:

1) Cutting through a loose layer of stuff to get to something grippy below. Most gravel tire knobs are too small to do this effectively, but maybe dust on hard pack?

2) Paddling through loose stuff like sand. Again, small knobs gonna be pretty minimal effect.

3) Hooking onto embedded rocks, textures, etc. As someone alluded to above, this is where I notice it on 15-30% pitches. Basically I end up skittering from rock to rock on the really steep stuff. Slicks won't do it.

Fair warning on the Gravel Grinder TLR - I had two delaminate from poor vulcanization. Looked like alien worms growing under the tread. One exploded in my garage with a loud bang. The rear survived ~300 miles and the front ~750 miles. The sidewalls are also pretty fragile (as you would expect with such a light tire, so can't really complain about that.)

Retailer replaced them, we'll see if it was just a bad batch, or typical Challenge bad quality. I really like them because they are super light and roll very fast on pavement vs. the heavier/thicker small knobby options, but obviously if they're untrustworthy that's no good. :(

SlowPokePete
08-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Wide - Bald - Low Pressure works perfect in all conditions.

Except mud.

SPP

dem
08-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Except mud.

SPP

I guess it depends on what you mean by "low" - I don't want to run such low pressure that the tires are a dog on the pavement (like 20 psi) nor do I want to run tires much wider than 700x40, because they are also too squishy for me on pavement.

So for 700x35 to 700x40, at reasonable road pressures (45-60 PSI) some knobs definitely help in the conditions I described. Gravel riding is definitely all about compromising based on your style, mixture of terrain, etc.

Without defining things like "wide" and "low" - it is difficult to describe even subjective experiences.

I destroyed a set of 700x35 Compass/Rene Herse tires in a few hundred miles (even ignoring the fact they blew off the rim and leaked sealant like sieves) - so I definitely know those aren't for me!

jtbadge
08-02-2019, 07:11 PM
I have to paraphrase Jan Heine here a little:

the only type of riding where your knobs will help with grip is on mud. Otherwise, slicks are fine.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4551/38093691142_350cc7c798_c.jpg

Unilateral statements regarding gravel biking are a hotter trend than gravel itself! The answer always depends on local terrain and rider experience. Riding slicks through chunky stuff in places I've lived is terrifying. Riding slicks with low enough pressure to grip on the steep, loose stuff becomes a total drag on pavement, worse than riding a knobby the whole time.

jtbadge
08-02-2019, 07:15 PM

The Alamanzo is one of those 'unsafe at any speed' Challenge cotton 'Open Tubulars.' You made the right choice.

molly47
08-02-2019, 07:46 PM
I have exact same tire and ridden it in woodsman gravel, road, mud and sand 800 plus miles still in great shape, love the tire..

fa63
08-03-2019, 05:04 AM
+1

I cannot emphasize how much more enjoyable my gravel rides have become since switching to the WTB Resolutes, which have some small knobs. Descents used to be terrifying; now I can bomb down them without fearing for my life :-)

Unilateral statements regarding gravel biking are a hotter trend than gravel itself! The answer always depends on local terrain and rider experience. Riding slicks through chunky stuff in places I've lived is terrifying. Riding slicks with low enough pressure to grip on the steep, loose stuff becomes a total drag on pavement, worse than riding a knobby the whole time.

SlowPokePete
08-03-2019, 01:43 PM

Except mud.

SPP

Currently on 650x48mm Compass Extralight at 30psi.

SPP

AngryScientist
08-03-2019, 02:15 PM
running errands today. this is what the local REI had on hand. hopefully this is fine.

AngryScientist
08-03-2019, 05:41 PM
New tire on. New sealant in. Set-up was a breeze, beads popped right on with the floor pump.

i'll never say never, but with how tight these beads were to get onto the rims, i dont see a bead popping off anytime soon with these tires. took it for a spin tonight and feels like a nice tire.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AEv4BLV6jMg/XUYNH43llhI/AAAAAAAADRA/HdbQj365b3cgHZ0d2CBfUoyshm17oi2GACLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_4326.jpg

SeanScott
08-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Angry - those look pretty neat. Good desing for sure

I have been riding the gravelking sk for a few days and can't say that I like them. They seems sluggish and heavy - however they do feel durable and are inexpensive.

AngryScientist
08-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Angry - those look pretty neat. Good desing for sure

I have been riding the gravelking sk for a few days and can't say that I like them. They seems sluggish and heavy - however they do feel durable and are inexpensive.

initial ride feel is that these are indeed a little faster than the SK's. time will tell on durability.

2metalhips
08-03-2019, 07:02 PM
The way you have that tire setup with the side paddles facing that way will give better traction. The opposite way = less rolling resistance.

SeanScott
08-03-2019, 07:19 PM
I do 80% of my road and gravel rides currently on this panaracer gravel king 32
and really enjoy them. Rarely do I need more traction.

Burning Pines
08-03-2019, 11:38 PM
I like a fat slick as much as the next guy but the idea that knobs don’t do anything outside of mud is really funny. Those look like good tires.

owly
08-04-2019, 01:03 AM
Recently installed a stupid-light new Maxxis Maxxlite One70 on the rear for a bit of traction up the hills in the dry. Does the job pretty good and it rolls faster than my previous Thunder Burt liteskin on the rear. Was surprised how easy it setup tubeless with sealant.

If you think Compass extralight is supple. 335gm :eek: Kaboom!

tctyres
08-04-2019, 07:24 AM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4551/38093691142_350cc7c798_c.jpg

Brah, where'd you get those? Can you send me a pm?

AngryScientist
08-05-2019, 06:17 PM
New tire on. New sealant in. Set-up was a breeze, beads popped right on with the floor pump.

i'll never say never, but with how tight these beads were to get onto the rims, i dont see a bead popping off anytime soon with these tires. took it for a spin tonight and feels like a nice tire.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AEv4BLV6jMg/XUYNH43llhI/AAAAAAAADRA/HdbQj365b3cgHZ0d2CBfUoyshm17oi2GACLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_4326.jpg

OK, so this tire loses air overnight. not completely flat, but significant air loss. compared to the GK i removed, which would hold air for a week without needing to top up.

where do i start the investigation?

i see no sealant leaking externally anywhere?

jtbadge
08-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Brah, where'd you get those? Can you send me a pm?

I found this pic on the interwebs. Not sure where to buy them, but I would also like to know. I think I saw them first on Houston's Mosaic:

https://scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram.com/vp/d8e31043e66684e9a174c1c28b01292f/5DCF3286/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/59418343_829214044130588_8453182852998719474_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.cdninstagram.com

ColonelJLloyd
08-05-2019, 06:58 PM
OK, so this tire loses air overnight. not completely flat, but significant air loss. compared to the GK i removed, which would hold air for a week without needing to top up.

where do i start the investigation?

i see no sealant leaking externally anywhere?

To be frank, you should've bought a 16oz bottle of Orange Seal (reg or Endurance). :) It's tried and true and recommended by a majority of posters on this forum. Never heard of that stuff you picked up.

How much sealant did you put inside the new tire? Did you thoroughly shake and roll the tire in your best attempt to coat the entirety of the inside? Have you taken a dipstick test to gauge the amount of liquid sealant presently in the tire or can you hear sealant sloshing around inside?

If you added 2oz or less of sealant then it's likely it was "used up" coating the inside of the brand new tire and there wasn't enough to seal tiny gaps where the bead meets the bead shelf. If that's the case just add another ounce or two and shake and spin well to coat all surfaces.

AngryScientist
08-05-2019, 07:47 PM
To be frank, you should've bought a 16oz bottle of Orange Seal (reg or Endurance). :) It's tried and true and recommended by a majority of posters on this forum. Never heard of that stuff you picked up.

How much sealant did you put inside the new tire? Did you thoroughly shake and roll the tire in your best attempt to coat the entirety of the inside? Have you taken a dipstick test to gauge the amount of liquid sealant presently in the tire or can you hear sealant sloshing around inside?

If you added 2oz or less of sealant then it's likely it was "used up" coating the inside of the brand new tire and there wasn't enough to seal tiny gaps where the bead meets the bead shelf. If that's the case just add another ounce or two and shake and spin well to coat all surfaces.

good call and good advice. i added exactly half that packet of sealant, so a little over 2oz. i'll top it off tonight and see what happens.

i probably rushed installing the new tire and should have just ordered some orange seal or stans, but figured REI would have had some. hopefully this stuff will just seal whatever small leak exists so i dont have to pull the tire off.

dem
08-05-2019, 08:38 PM
good call and good advice. i added exactly half that packet of sealant, so a little over 2oz. i'll top it off tonight and see what happens.

i probably rushed installing the new tire and should have just ordered some orange seal or stans, but figured REI would have had some. hopefully this stuff will just seal whatever small leak exists so i dont have to pull the tire off.

All four of my Challenge GravelGrinder TLRs had pinhole leaks in the sidewalls.. needed to do several cycles of lying them on the side, shake-and-rotate, etc.

One was so stubborn I had to brush with soapy water to find it, once I found it I could pool the sealant there and it sealed up.

Pretty stable once they were sealed.

I doubt the sealant type matters for initial sealing - they're all basically the same stuff (non-toxic anti-freeze + liquid latex + chunkies)

ColonelJLloyd
08-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Good deal, Nick. All signs point to that setup being good to go after you add some more sealant and move it around. See what you can find out about the makeup of that sealant you have. With luck the ingredients will be similar to Orange Seal and you can just top off with OS going forward.

stephenmarklay
08-05-2019, 08:44 PM

I would like to try those but they look very tall and may not fit my bike.

AngryScientist
08-06-2019, 06:52 AM
great success. tire is still rock hard this morning. added a little more sealant last night and took a short ride to the local park. figured the NJ road surfaces would be enough to agitate the sealant into the most remote of locations.

thank you all for the help for this tubeless noob!

Bob Ross
08-07-2019, 07:22 AM
I haven't read past the first page, has anyone suggested non-SK Gravelkings yet?

stephenmarklay
08-07-2019, 07:25 AM

What kind of wear (rate) are you getting?

SeanScott
08-07-2019, 09:51 AM
stephenmarklay - I've done about 500 miles on the tires mixed conditions and see very little wear on them.