PDA

View Full Version : Futures: Bikes Ahead and Behind

dbrk
12-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I've been selling things off, as many here know, and all are bikes I have enjoyed and loved; some of these sold I thought were keepers, others I knew from the beginning stood no more chance than your average exquisite gopi might winning the fickle Lord Krsna's heart. But I sell without regrets knowing that great bikes will sooner or later find the right home.

I also sell because there are other projects coming down the line, things I plan months and even years for, and a few of those are coming due...soon. In some cases I never know exactly when a project will appear and often it pours when it was only supposed to drizzle.

I'm always curious what folks have on order, want to order, or are about to jump on. I'm past the opportunist point in my own lusts, meaning that I plan my obsessive ends because I've realized that that's a significant part of the fun. I like the planning. Sometimes I like the process more than I even want to ride the bike. I confess to this with the Nagasawa fixed/singler: this was a bike I loved conceiving, acquiring the bits for, and owning but, living as I do in the Finger Lake hills, never wanted to ride. I'm not a minimalist who is trying to dispossess the material world (I've a shameless passion for its beauty and pleasures, I see no reason to disown or get all Zen-like, penitent, or self-abnegating), nor an idealist who conceives the perfect, dream bike, nor a reductionist who thinks bikes somehow "should be" about the ride only or the x-only. I just like bikes and if I can afford the one I want, I try to try it on. I think this won't ever really stop: I'm not seeking some sort of finality, as if bicycle enlightenment had to reach a culmination, an end, or some contented conclusion. I prefer to keep things open, experimenting, and can't be bothered with thinking there is anything wrong with acquisition or dispossession. YMMV, do what _you_ like, but I still have a few in line.

So what's on my docket? Well, veryvery soon a long-awaited Sachs will appear because it is shipping from JB, a truly modern, latest word from our own atmo, and it will appear in the new cyclocross team black though it is a road bike (not a cyclocrosser). And there is the Goodrich that mirrors the bike Curt made for my late friend Dr. Cotcamp. There are others, the list is shorter than ever it's been in memory, but I'm wondering what's on your list, if you are checking it twice (or more), and scheming away your retirement for a ride down the road (or in the mountains). Whacchu'gettin'? lustin'? schemin'? There are worse obsessions than bicycles, I tell myself. Enjoy the ride even if you have no aspiration other than what you already enjoy.

dbrk

obtuse
12-15-2006, 02:44 PM
waiting for:

a tournesol

an extreme power

a richard sachs.

they're all going to show up at exactly the same time and drive me into debtors' prison.

obtuse

Kane
12-15-2006, 02:46 PM
There is a white Fiftieth Anniversary Ron Cooper in white that looks like my size (small/medium). It has been hanging on the wall at Bicycle Odessy for quite some time. The bike has 'unusual' small decorative gussets on the lugs, which have probably been the thing preventing the sale of the bike.

Most important it 'looks like a bike', as opposed to the latest Scott carbon wonderkind.

Best wishes for a good holiday and many blessings!!

Cheers,

Kane

slowgoing
12-15-2006, 02:57 PM
None.

Found the perfect bike for me and I don't feel the need to experiment around for anything better.

Selling off the excess inventory slowly and steadily.

14max
12-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Bike behind: my Litespeed Firenze with Easton EC90 SLX fork if I can find a buyer
Bike ahead: a Courtney custom from Troy Courtney. The Litespeed needs to sell though...

dauwhe
12-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Eagerly awaiting a Tournesol myself--my very first custom bike :banana:

After that's paid for, I think I'll put down a deposit on a J.P. Weigle.

Yes, the planning and the anticipation are fun, and so's the riding!

Dave

CNY rider
12-15-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm awaiting the fruits of Mr. Barry's labors.

I had hoped to get hooked up at the Ramble, but it wasn't to be. In a way the delay has been good because it's kept me focused on that one bike; had it arrived I fear I would already be on someone else's waiting list.

I've also got an assortment of parts like new bars, a few derailleurs etc. that are going to get swapped in and improve on my existing bikes. I'll put those on if we ever have winter here in upstate NY and I have some downtime to spend in the basement.

CNY rider
12-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Eagerly awaiting a Tournesol myself--my very first custom bike :banana:

After that's paid for, I think I'll put down a deposit on a J.P. Weigle.

Yes, the planning and the anticipation are fun, and so's the riding!

Dave

The Weigle bikes at the Ramble were so exquisite that I share your plans for the future........

Smiley
12-15-2006, 03:05 PM
My wife's CDA is due in early Jan 2007 , once she is good on that one we may part with her Legend and build in its place a Uniscasi Ti Rapid Tour . For me I will ride the fastest and badass Carbone project bike from Serotta and then write a check for one :)

crf
12-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Hmm, I've always wondered what a black Sachs would look like. Sounds nice. What is the color scheme in full: all black, or with white paneling? I too am awaiting a Sachs, but it's about three years off. In the meantime I want Steve Hampsten to create something for me.

saab2000
12-15-2006, 03:12 PM
I would love to consolidate a bit. But when I think of getting rid of any of my bikes it is hard to figure out which one(s).

Bikes I would like:

Time VXRS
Colnago C50
Serotta steel racing bike (like my CIII, but with racing geo and a centimeter smaller)

I also have a bizarre desire for a 57 cm black Look 481SL. I just like them.

Mostly I just want more time to ride what I have now. Getting more bikes would not give me more time unfortunately. Not getting zen either, but my bike collection is actually quite nice.

That said, there are bikes out there that really do intrigue me. But it is time that I lack, not bikes.

I would like to try a set of Lightweight or ADA wheels too.

Jack Brunk
12-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Waiting on:

Look 595 Ultra that Obtuse is building today.

A bespoke Richard Sachs track bike (new pictures received today!)

A bespoke Sacha White Vanilla (July 07)

Jack

72gmc
12-15-2006, 03:18 PM
So many things about my little life mean more than ever to me. I'm adopting an approach of less options, more focus.

Right now all I have is my old off-the-rack 'crosser that I've converted to a singlespeed/fixie. Nothing worthy of this venue, but I'm enjoying it very much.

I have an early '90s Diamondback Axis mtb that I'm going to sell or donate. It's still here but behind me already.

And ahead of me is a lugged steel Davidson randonneur that I'm having a lot of fun imagining and re-imagining. Tube preparation has begun! Now if I could just decide on paint...

don compton
12-15-2006, 03:18 PM
waiting for my brick red tournesol and i am picking my new ebiso "road" tomorrow at jitensha in berkeley,ca. :beer:

rePhil
12-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Nothing new planned for me. I am at a happy place.

Climb01742
12-15-2006, 03:28 PM
3 from dario: 2 for me, 1 for the mrs.

dbrk
12-15-2006, 03:30 PM
waiting for my brick red tournesol and i am picking my new ebiso "road" tomorrow at jitensha in berkeley,ca. :beer:

And be sure to give my warm regards to Hiroshi Iimura, a more knowledgeable historian of great bicycles and gifted designer there could not be, truly one with only peers. Hiroshi's Ebisu are an affordable treasure, imho.

dbrk

barry1021
12-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Cool discourse Dbrk. Plus you got to use the word self-abnegating, which you don't find too often on a biking forum. :beer:
Well I have Russity's Moots cross waiting for me in my garage in Arizona. Then there is the Strong travel frame that I bought on Ebay that is in route. After that, I figure that I will just spend the rest of my life making amends to my wife.

B21

Nic Schmidt
12-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't know if a time will come where I purchase a handcrafted bicycle, but if it does...CPG or DK. Y'never know, maybe just for the sake of the process.

Erik.Lazdins
12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
3 from dario: 2 for me, 1 for the mrs.

A Pegoretti Hat trick :beer: :beer: :beer:

ahead for me: 2 from RS

Grant McLean
12-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Vanilla

-g

texbike
12-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Just had this discussion with a couple of bike-obsessed buddies a few days ago over beers at the neighborhood pub.

I'm fairly content at the moment. My stable now has two Merckx MXLs, a Pogliaghi track bike, and a minty, old Pinarello on which to mount my old Super Record stuff.

I'm not racing, so I don't need the latest or greatest. I'm fortunate to fit stock geos so don't lust after or need a custom. All of the bikes fit and ride great and satisfy my interest in style and history. So, I'm good.

However, I remember lusting after a mid 90s Cannondale track bike back in the day. If one of these popped up in mint condition with a full Superbe Pro track group, I may have to find a way to add it to the collection. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Texbike

Len J
12-15-2006, 04:03 PM
In process of building up the ...new to me....serotta 20th anniversary frame.

RS on the way sometime in early spring.

Beyond that.....

-a coupled bike for traveling
-a Dario is on the radar.
-someday maybe a carbon

len

mosca
12-15-2006, 04:06 PM
There are worse obsessions than bicycles, I tell myself.
Yes, and it's a good thing, considering all the bike-lust this forum generates!

I'm pondering a randonneur-ish road bike, a more-bling fixed gear, and a true track bike for the near future. Basically I'm still in the mode of seeing what Ebay has to offer, but will probably step up to some real customs at some point.

Sounds like '07 will be a good year in the forum gallery!

scrooge
12-15-2006, 04:11 PM
I have a Waltworks 29er on the way--should be Februarary (or March). There are many more bikes I'd love to get, but I'll have to be content with one road (I'd like to re-do this one, but not likely to happen), one mtb, and one tandem.

dirtdigger88
12-15-2006, 04:14 PM
my next planned bike is still a long way off- :rolleyes:

but Im having a blast tracking down the parts for it-

but dont fear- Im sure Ill buy something in between then and now-

a really cool OM Flyer would really trip my trigger-

Jason

Ray
12-15-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm in the reducing mode, not due to necessity but due to I'm not sure what. Just today sold the green Rivendell that DBRK helped me start this whole obsession with almost ten years ago. It came into this world shod all in Campy, has worn every type of componentry imaginable since, and sold to a pre-eminant Campy lover for the next phase of its life. Cool.

I'm down to two Spectra - one semi-racy and built for whatever speed I can coax out of it, and the other more relaxed and built for all-conditions and for travel. And a Rambouillet fixie, and an old MB-2 set up as a townie and a Brompton. I still have a Poprad floating around the south with my brother and if I ever see it again, I'll probably sell it too because I'm really quite happy having less choices and less to maintain at the moment.

I'm not recommending this approach to anyone - lord knows I've had my acquisitional phases and enjoyed them immensely and may have more in the future. But at the moment I like NOT thinking/planning/anticipating the next bike and just digging the hell out of the ones I'm riding. Because they're the result of 10 years of figuring out what I liked and being satisfied that I found it. For now.

An odd feeling but I like it. Less isn't more. Less is less and that's cool too.

-Ray

catulle
12-15-2006, 04:30 PM
ETA January '07: Dave Kirk
ETA September '07: Peter Weigle
ETA someday (ordered over a year ago): Road R. Sachs; Cross R. Sachs
ETA '07 (not ordered yet): Pegoretti
Seriously considering for sometime soon: Moots Vamoots SL

Dios es la busqueda de Dios (M. Unamuno)

nick0137
12-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Incoming Nagasawa track from the bay - thanks to the heads up from g. Big decision is whether to strip the Cooper track bike down and then sell or maybe repaint cos, gosh, it's got an ugly 80s paint job (and that's why it's not on the friggin cool thread).

And maybe something French. I hope. ;)

Oh, and I've got a Sturmey Archer 3 speed fixed hub to get built up soon. Does that count?

CNote
12-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Well, I'm hoping for another Nic Schmidt...we'll see.

big shanty
12-15-2006, 06:36 PM
WAITING:

-IRA RYAN commuter....lugged steel frame, integrated lights, canti brakes, Campy drivetrain, bar end shifters, custom rear rack & cargo box. (Feb/March 2007)

-Richard Sachs road racer (a little under 3 years?!)

FANTASIZING:

-Chris Kvale long-and-fast road frame

-Goodrich cross/all-purpose off-road

-A good custom steel road fixed gear w/ elegant fender-mounting strategy (another Vanilla??!?!)

I'd better stop.

05Fierte TI
12-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Past
Cannondale - A little too stiff, frame finally gave out.
Motobecane Steel (my first real bike)- Too noodly, purchased a very long time ago

Current
Fierte TI

Future Jan or Feb 2007
CDA

Lifelover
12-15-2006, 06:49 PM
While it never stops me from looking for true bargains, I'm rather strangely satisfied with my current collection of rather low end, ill fitting oddities.

I think going to (actually coming home from) the Ramble was a pivotal moment for me. I had spent the weekend in total amazement with DBRK's collection but as soon as I got home I walked into my on garage and was really pleased to see my own stuff.

I often lust after the beautiful bikes on this forum and long to have a custom made just for me but the reality is that I neither have the means to buy something like that now or the desire to baby it.

However, I would like to complete the build of my Aegis SS/Fixie and I would love something with full fenders (which is totally whack since I NEVER plan to ride in the rain).

Edit:
Changed my mind already. I forgot that I have always wanted a Sling Shot Frame

chrisroph
12-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Anxiously awaiting from you the Sachs cross that you bought from Dennis. Has it shipped?

A friend is buying my gunnar crosshairs frame, fork and hs--one in and at least one out.

I'm thinking about selling my stock 57 legend as I really don't ride it very often. I take the spectrum first.

I'm just starting to think about a hardtail mb for shorttrack.

I'm also interested in a custom co-motion racing tandem but that's going to have to wait a while. Philippe my good friend and tandem racing stoker and I have been able to make due on the old, heavy but solid fillet brazed rodriguez, which truly is a gem of a bike.

Ken Robb
12-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Anxiously awaiting from you the Sachs cross that you bought from Dennis. Has it shipped?

A friend is buying my gunnar crosshairs frame, fork and hs--one in and at least one out.

I'm thinking about selling my stock 57 legend as I really don't ride it very often. I take the spectrum first.

I'm just starting to think about a hardtail mb for shorttrack.

I'm also interested in a custom co-motion racing tandem but that's going to have to wait a while. Philippe my good friend and tandem racing stoker and I have been able to make due on the old, heavy but solid fillet brazed rodriguez, which truly is a gem of a bike.

I rode the Sachs for a week last July and it is a dreamy handler on/off pavements. I've got a couple of pix I can email to you.

rpm
12-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Nothing new in the pipeline, but my winter project is converting my old ti bike to a light 650b flyer, a project which excites me as much as getting a new bike, especially if I can figure out how to get hammered Honjos on it.

I like beautiful steel frames and appreciate carbon fiber forks, but my true love is ti. My fantasy is to get a state of the art ti bike--from the source in Saratoga Springs, the barn in Pennsylvania, or the towers in Seattle. It would have the best tubing available, and would be built for Paul's centerpulls and tires up to 35c's. And it would have the lightest parts pick I could get on it.

Tom Byrnes
12-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Before the Ramble, I had on order a new Sachs (still two years away?) and I am awaiting the return of my repainted and restored 1979 Sachs from Joe Bell.

Thanks to Douglas and the talented frame builders in attendance at the Ramble, I placed deposits on a Curt Goodrich and a titanium 650B Tournesol when I returned to California. I also bought J.P. Weigle's beautiful green 650B touring bike that he brought to the Ramble. It was some Ramble!

Feeling guilty for acquiring or ordering three bikes and because Andy (IXXI) had some of his bikes and possessions stolen from new house, I sold the beautiful Ron Kiefel 7-11 Serotta CSi that I had earlier purchased from Andy back to him.

I thought I should be done acquiring for a while, but recently, I fortunately was the high bidder for the following 1976 Rene Herse: http://www.reneherse.com/Herse1976frame.html

On Douglas's advice, I am having Mike Barry of Mariposa do the necessary restoration work and bike build. Douglas's beautiful, yellow and white touring bike, which Frank Breshears rode at the Ramble, has always been my favorite bike since the first TDFL. Someday, I will order a similar bike from Mike Barry.

There are worse habits, right?

Tom

oldmill
12-15-2006, 08:51 PM
I always say I'm one bike away from true happiness. Some sort of tourer is in the works, and while I'm at it I may make it a 650b. The fat tires would be good for forays on the C&O canal path or commuting to work. I'm considering a Tournesol when the budget looks good and a Kogswell when it doesn't. Or maybe an Ebisu all-rounder. The research is fun.

justinf
12-15-2006, 09:14 PM
I feel blessed and fortunate that my current array of bikes is more than I dared dream of in days past.

Having said that, my inevitable next step will be a Goodrich.

davids
12-15-2006, 09:17 PM
2007: Tweaking the Seven for summer duties in Maine, and building the Love #3.

2008: New mountain bike.

After that, something special in steel - IF, Kirk, Vanilla, or even a Sachs?

chrisroph
12-15-2006, 09:47 PM
I rode the Sachs for a week last July and it is a dreamy handler on/off pavements. I've got a couple of pix I can email to you.

Ken:

I'd love to see the pics...and am really looking forward to receipt of the bike.

roman meal
12-15-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm very excited and fortunate to have a Richard Sachs cross headed my way after it gets back from JB, and I figure I'll ride that into oblivion.

After or in addition to that, I think that a nice black Sachs sounds nice, or instead maybe I'll put a deposit on a Peter Weigle, I'd love to have a modern road bike that has the lines and balance of that old Campagnolo super record clad pink Mercian that is in the centerfold of the text Bicycling: A guiness superlatives guide, by J. Durry and J.B. Wadley. Anyone have that book?

I guess all of my frames will come from Connecticut.

yim
12-15-2006, 10:11 PM
may be Tommasini Tecno or Sintesi?

SoCalSteve
12-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Well, still putting together my Colnago Carbonissimo (Jerk approved stem and wheels).

I think its right around 3 years wait for my Sachs...

I am trying to finagle an Ottrott from another Forumite (you know who you are).

My CSI is still hanging in the garage waiting to be built.

And I have a Trek OCLV with a 2000 USPS Postal scheme that needs its fork to go to JB for a restoration.

Oh yeah, gonna try my hand at building some wheelsets...with incoming rims (NOS CXP 30's) and D/A 7800 hubset.

Thats all for now!

Steve

big shanty
12-15-2006, 10:42 PM
way, way in the future.....Dutch preacher bike.

vaxn8r
12-15-2006, 10:43 PM
ETA January '07: Dave Kirk
ETA September '07: Peter Weigle
ETA someday (ordered over a year ago): Road R. Sachs; Cross R. Sachs
ETA '07 (not ordered yet): Pegoretti
Seriously considering for sometime soon: Moots Vamoots SL

Dios es la busqueda de Dios (M. Unamuno)
Wow.

Johny
12-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks to Douglas, Tom, and others for sharing.

I often fall asleep thinking (dreaming) about what a bike would look like.

I am forunate to have a great wife who supports my cycling habit (yes this is the only one besides playing with my three young boys -- 10 weeks, 20 months and 3 years old :) ).

2006 is a great cycling year: meeting many new and old friends at the Ramble and having two Pegoretti's (GGM and CCKMP) and one Kirk (MRB), which all really make riding even more fun than ever (maybe one of the worst years for many of my people, biomedical researchers in academia thanks to the war...).

In 2007, I hope to finally find time to visit e-richie, build up a new Calfee dragonfly, attend the OPEN HOUSE and/or Ramble, and once again ride with you guys.

John

FierteTi52
12-15-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm a bit undecided in which direction I'm going in the near future. I'm really curious about the 650B and have thinking about a Bleriot. The Ebisu All Arounder has my curiousity too. I sold the Ottrott F/F and have money for the next project along with a 10Spd D/A build kit leftover. I'm thinking Moots/ Hampsten Stradia Bianca YBB, or a Strong Ti MRB. My 1991 Serotta NHX in mint condition is hanging in the basement and has too much bar drop for me to enjoy. I'm considering making the bike Rivinedell style with a Brooks, tall Nitto stem ,Noodle bar, and RP's. I may end up selling the NHX instead. My Fierte Ti is still a great bike, but may need a little tweaking in the fit dept. I have a long winter ahead to figure everything out. I have to agree, the planning and gathering the parts is half the fun.
Jeff

Marburg
12-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Waiting: Matt Chester SS crosser

Wanting: 29er

Dreaming: Steel rando bike.

Elefantino
12-16-2006, 04:35 AM
I am so not in y'all's league...

Recently out:
Bianchi RC Boron EV
DeBernardi SLX (stripped to frame and fork, awaiting sale if I can bear to part with it)
Just in:
Colnago C96 NOS, build ETA sometime this afternoon, if I get a round tuit.
Future drool:
If I ever again buy a new bike, prolly a DK.

csm
12-16-2006, 07:06 AM
a 29'r hardtail... maybe a ss
a fixie...either a real one or a converted one
some sort of cross bike and/or touring rig... just to have one
either an electra or a bianchi milano
one of those new lemond carbon things

aLexis
12-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Future plans

1. Road. Serotta HSG Ti or IT in a wee 48cm

2. Mountain. Willits Full Suspension, 29er, of course. (Although I am currently having too much fun riding the hardtail, 29er, of course)

taz-t
12-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Bikes behind:

Davidson Impulse that rides nicely but is a little too small to feel completely comfortable. 53cm

Dave Tesch 101 - pretty bike but the super quick steering keeps it at home when choosing which bike to ride 54cm

Both are available to a good home if anyone's interested.

Bikes forward:

Joined the queue for a new Sachs earlier this year.

New to me Chris Kvale that's just waiting for the right stem to finish.

In Limbo:

70's Sachs that is slightly big, but still nice with no decals. Does it stay, get traded (for Peg, Nagasawa, or smaller Sachs) or go to Joe Bell for new paint?

Never ridden Ibis Mojo - beautiful, but it's never ridden status and an already beat-on Bontrager Racelite to carry the steel hardtail flag when I actually go mtbing once or twice a year make the Ibis trade or sale bait, I think.

- Taz

scrooge
12-16-2006, 09:36 AM
way, way in the future.....Dutch preacher bike.

Rats...Thanks for reminding me. I would love something like this (especially since I'm dutch, and I'm a preacher--how can I not get one?)

Fat Robert
12-16-2006, 11:28 AM
a road frame from a forum member who gets it in a big way

pics within a week

(its finally done after we waited on the decal guy for about three months. and man, it is gorgeous in all the ways that it can be....)

Tom
12-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Something that I can take out of the truck up at the farm and head across field and fen, down the dirt roads and up the cart tracks. Cheap but reliable.

Other than that I lust for bits. A new seat post to move me butt up and backwards, a new set of fast wheels like Mr. Campagnolo's Jimmy.

saab2000
12-16-2006, 02:41 PM
In addition to what I said before, I can easily imagine a Serotta HSG in my garage. Gotta test ride one first though.

HSG with Record and some killer wheels = something cool.

swoop
12-16-2006, 02:57 PM
any day now on an elium race. every inch of it designed to be snappy. can't wait.

OldDog
12-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I am happy with my two riders, a RS and mid 90's MXL. I just picked up a Lemond cross to play with off road and am enjoying it.

I have been thinking of a rambler, a fender'd tourer with gearing in the basement. Kirk, Weigle or Toursonal. More of a rider/camper than some wall art. I have chatted with Pete Weigle and briefly with Steve Hampston. I hope to talk to Dave K after the holidays. Decisons, decisons...and I have lusted for a Legend, maybe in rapidtour geo.

I'm looking to move out: maybe my '72 Paramount P-15, 22"; a restored by Cycleart 80ish DeRosa with Super Record, 53; and a '95 Spectrum Ti Road f/f, 53. Any interest drop me a line.

Brian Smith
12-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Future plans

1. Road. Serotta HSG Ti or IT in a wee 48cm

Yes.

aLexis
12-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Brian,

I'll PM you my new address, and all you need to do is pull the box, apply the shipping label, and put it with the rest. You get there before all of the white collar folks, they'll never know ;) .

Alexis

PS. We were hanging out with Jared and Peg today, talking about how you and the misses need to get down here. Maybe you'll be out at the bike show in March, and I'll get to see you there.

Brian Smith
12-16-2006, 05:09 PM
March is a go.

About that other business I can't help, but I suppose if early arrival is all it takes, you'll need to get in touch with Danny, you have his contact info, I'm sure.

Back on topic, or on topic for the first time...
long reach calipers, Berthouds, and still no brifters is a combo calling my name.

sg8357
12-16-2006, 05:49 PM
My ideas

Doug Fattic, skinny tubes, skinny fork blades, 650b, french geo.

George Longstaff racing trike, fear is good, nothing is as stupid as racing trike

Mariposa/Mike Barry a copy of his personal Grand Fondo bike, glorious.

Scott G.

H.Frank Beshear
12-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Some guy that posts here with the initials cpg cashed a check of mine the other day :D .

dave thompson
12-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Some guy that posts here with the initials cpg cashed a check of mine the other day :D .
You're having a bike made by Charles Pers Grimmett? Cool :D

stevep
12-17-2006, 06:06 AM
personally i have a basement full of race bikes.
all in all i am happy to ride pretty much any one of them.
it is the ride i like... not so much the bike. 8sp/ 9sp/10sp... all the same to me... even still have a 5 and a 7 around... ( funny, no 6 anywhere )
im a little past the yearning for a bike stage and its funny... i get a new frame and i dont bother to take the time to build the fool thing up... prefering to ride something that i already have to spending the time on somethign new.

H.Frank Beshear
12-17-2006, 06:52 AM
You're having a bike made by Charles Pers Grimmett? Cool :D

Just our size too. :beer: :D

tv_vt
12-17-2006, 04:43 PM
I seem to be lusting more over wheels these days. I replaced the Time fork on my "Merckx-speed" Ti with an Ouzo Pro with a longer rake (45) and that really helped quiet down the squirrelly front end - now it's on rails. And I really like the Fondriest Top Level aluminum - a nice contrast to the EM super-cruiser.

But I'd love to throw on a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's for the less hilly rides, and try a pair of Kysrium ES's for the hills, or some Fulcrums, or...

I think Saab200 mentioned the Time VXRS and someone else mentioned the Look 481. I'd like to try those. Maybe the Look 555, too - it has a slacker SA than the 585, which I like. There's always something. Dario's frames truly intrigue me, too. The geometry of his frames in my size (59-60) just seem like they'd be perfect. But so far I've never ridden one.

pdxmech13
12-17-2006, 09:01 PM
I have two matching geo serotta's and can only think of two bikes I want to add to the aresenal. somthing alu from peg and a carbon colnago. neither are anytime soon or at least until the lady freind gets a raise. :D

or a ring. :cool:

dave thompson
12-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Something in carbon. :cool:

bironi
12-18-2006, 12:34 AM
DBRK,

I love living vicariously, but my budget does not allow such fantasies. My limited talents and finances make me content on my old-school fixied. :beer:

Love your posts,
Byron

DarkStar
12-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Curt Goodrich on the way :banana:

billrick
12-18-2006, 03:56 PM
The NOW Bike - I have a new-to-me Hampsten SBti in my work stand right now: Berthoud bags, Brooks B-17 with chromed rails, long reach calipers, Pasela 32mm tires, lots of silver Nitto, cloth tape, bar end shifters, and a 9-speed Dura Ace and XTR drivetrain. I am having a blast building it up, savoring every bolt and trying to find the shortest BB axle that will work with my M900 XTR cankset. Believe it or not, I have a Phil Wood 102mm symmetrical on order and I'm optimistic that it will work. YEAH, let's hear it for tight Q!

Bikes of the Past - In the past few years I've sold my Merlin, Surly, Waterford, Softride, Rivendell Atlantis, JP Weigle, and now my Rivendell Road is in the classifieds. I will always love lugged steel, and have obsessed on paint colors a few times, but I am now looking for that Rivendell-esque ride in a more utilitarian package. The common denominator to all of these bikes is that I loved the ones that felt good and kept me smiling after 6 hours in the saddle. The twitchy and the harsh did not last long before moving on to other garages.

Bike of the Future - 650B. Not sure when or what flavor, but I have the wheels already.

:)

coelacant
12-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Expecting a road going fixie in the classic style to replace the one that left earlier this year. Both built by Della Santa.
There are a number of people eyeing my back up DS cross bike, should it too leave me then I'll get a replacement all-rounder from Hiroshi
(Jitensha Studio). It wouldn't be an Ebisu cuz I'll be providing the lugs.

I'm still a long way from my goal of keeping only 5 bikes...

SimonC
12-20-2006, 06:18 AM
The past:

Custom Bob Jackson Anniversary - too long TT, felt like it was riding me rather than the reverse, and I was always 'on top' of it rather than within in.

Something or other Beryllium - demonstrated I don't 'do' pure race bikes - very harsh ride and made for speed - forced me to sprint everywhere, but I'd be worn out after 30 miles.

Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, stupidly sold - the best ride of any bike I've owned, comfortable for 100 mile rides.

Custom Cliff Shrubb Audax bike - handled nicely, comfortable and stable. Again, sold when perhaps I should have kept it.

Old (early 90s) Specialized Allez Carbon - very poor ride quality, but nice handling.

Unknown Italian lugged steel frameset (run as a fixie / SS) - showed me you can go too far, was whippy and nervous. Great for a short Sunday morning run, but didn't work for me on anything longer than that.

The Present:

Chas Roberts Audax. Has helped me to get over the stretched out riding position, with a top tube 1cm shorter than usual and another 2cm off the stem. Still kind of heavy / sluggish though. Lower BB makes it corner confidently, but it's too stable.

The future:

Robin Mather custom - deposit in, 4+ month wait. Lugged up front, fillet brazed BB junction, sleeved seat tube (does them very nicely). Disc brakes (practical), clearance for 32c tires, rear Tubus rack, mudguards / fenders. Hopefully fairly sprightly handling (a la Merckx) with a bit of spring / comfort in the rear end and slightly faster steering than the Roberts whilst retaining the BB drop and hence cornering.

Just have to make a decision about the colour, and in doing so probably firm up my lug / chrome choices.... (currently thinking chromed dropouts f&r and chainstay, nice curvy long-point lugs, cream / white panels on ST and DT) but what colour - Cobalt blue, Burgundy flam, Metallic black, Bugatti blue, Baby blue, Metallic Forest green, and do I spray the rack and fenders to match the primary colour, or the panels, or leave them be.....

William
12-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Nothing on the way.

Thinking of selling off my Serotta (and more bits) and buying more goodies for my Effin Zank.

William

ergott
12-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Past - 2000 C-40 (no funny stays) best looking bike ever
Present - Ottrott (pics ad nausea in signature)
Present - Schwinn World Sport (going slow bike) (pics soon)
Future - Zank 'cross (gosh I can't wait!)

Since I am outfitting the WS for lazy days, I've gone all out in rededicating my Ottrott for fast work. Saddle position is moving and the cockpit is longer and lower (I need a Jerk fitting). Flexibility is up.

The WS is good enough for now. Might want to get a different frame for the parts.

I want the Zank for a straight up race bike. Next winter will be the test. I'm getting atmo's tubes!

David Kirk
12-20-2006, 09:24 AM
I just built myself a new frame that will be used as a show bike for the Handbuilt Show. The big change for me will be the components - I'll be trying out the new Sram stuff.

I love getting new stuff. It's just plain fun.

Dave

Z3c
12-20-2006, 10:13 AM
I am fairly new to this forum; I was a student in the initial SICI fit class and that got me started here. I really enjoy the opinions here; most seem to be derived from a lot of years and bikes..being 44 myself I guess I like and respect that.
Anyway, I have had some nice bikes in the past, notably a '98 C40 that was really a pleasure to ride and clearly a bike much ahead of the competiton at the time. Now, after many years of lusting I have a Della Santa Corsa Speciale(sp?); Roland built it for me in '04 and it is everything I had hoped it would be. I don't imagine ever parting with it. I also have a Parlee(see my original screen name), not a regular Z3C though; it has uni-directional top/down/seat tubes and chainstays.. Truly a nice riding bike. I guess for me it comes down to appreciating a nice mix of craftsmanship and technology..
Not real sure about future bikes, thinking of a cross bike but not sure what, would be for general purpose riding so something other than steel sounds good for the rainy days.. Ideas?

Scott

Scott

zank
12-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm building a single speed mtb for myself. I am psyched, as this will be my first go at SS riding. I was so jealous of my buds who spent all last season riding theirs.

It's going to be pimped out with White Ind crank, hubs and freewheel, PW BB, Notubes rims, Laser spokes, Formula Oro Puro brakes, a Pace rigid fork, King HS, Ritchey WCS bar, stem and bar ends, Thomson post and Flite saddle.

I am also going to build a pair of cross bikes, painted in team Hup colors adorned with my new Hup United team bike decals. Centaur, Spooky brakes, wheels by erogtt, Ritchey bars and stem, SLR saddles, Thomson posts. Undecided on rubber and cranks.

9 months until Sucker Brook Cross '07.

chrisroph
12-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I got the sachs cross yesterday. Wooh, pretty, perfect size. I applied framesaver last night and hope to have it ready for a first ride before the year is out. Then, its only 9 months until cross season.

djg
12-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I was gonna say nothin' and then I realized that I forgot one little old bike. I picked up a NOS Serotta cross frame some months ago, but for various reasons did not get it together, and rolling, until yesterday. I haven't put it through it's paces yet--just riding to work yesterday and today, with a couple of little tiny short cuts over grass or dirt, but it seems good to me. 853 pipes, steel fork (also Serotta) with a lugged crown. Centaur bits mostly, with xtr brakes, and Eurus wheels that I had already, with Tufo rubber (or whatever they're made out of).

catulle
12-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Something in carbon. :cool:

Gosh Dave, I thought you'd be a Colt 1911 type, not a Tupperware Glock person, atmo... :eek:

rePhil
12-20-2006, 03:17 PM
As I was rebuilding my 8 speed Campy Chorus hubs this morning, I thought about the bikes and rides in the past including a Serotta Club Special, a Colnago Mexico. A Schwinn Circuit,Raleigh Team, and the two Marinoni's
I miss them in a way, I am happy to have ridden them, but I am happy and not looking, not seriously anyway.

PanTerra
12-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I have always been able to walk into my LBS and see the eye candy and not even worry about it because any of the high zoot bikes were always the owner's size, and he is a little feller. This last parusal revealed a Meivici built up with Campy Chorus, in my size. It does start me thinking about liquidating bikes. It would make the decision of what to ride on a certain day a lot easier.

Vancouverdave
12-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Two ahead with no time line--a road single speed I'm making for myself, now consisting of a complete fork, chainstays with Pauls' track ends brazed in, and a bb/seat tube. Also, a 1958 Olmo Sport that a family friend was given by his brother who then gave it to me--rotted saddle, rubber, and brake lever hoods but everything else pretty good including 27" Dunlop steel rims.
A couple of "whenever" projects!

shinomaster
12-20-2006, 11:04 PM
I lust for so many things:

A Vanilla road and cross bike.
gold Shamal wheels
red Fulcrum racing 0 wheels
silver Eurus wheels
a zank cross frame
an Atmo cross frame
a Kirk cross frame

realistically the only frame I may get in the next two years is a new caad8 frame on ebay to update my caad4. It should be twice as good right?

manet
12-20-2006, 11:18 PM
track bike
cross bike

sn69
12-20-2006, 11:56 PM
to the venerable XO-1. Perhaps by Zank.

But not until late in 07 (gotta have time to search the known universe for a Ritchey RB-1-esque double fork crown). ;)

physasst
12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
frames....

an 07 Soma Smoothie awaiting the build, and whilst waiting for some stuff to be shippped, ran across an 01 Merckx Strada OS in near perfect shape.....I couldn't resist...I mean...who could??...It's a Merckx......SO..now I have two frames to build up....then that's it for awhile. Maybe a new Steelman crosser next fall.... :D

TMB
12-21-2006, 10:44 PM
frames....

an 07 Soma Smoothie awaiting the build, and whilst waiting for some stuff to be shippped, ran across an 01 Merckx Strada OS in near perfect shape.....I couldn't resist...I mean...who could??...It's a Merckx......SO..now I have two frames to build up....then that's it for awhile. Maybe a new Steelman crosser next fall.... :D

Shame on you !!! :rolleyes:

physasst
12-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Shame on you !!! :rolleyes:

you should talk TMB.....How many are you up to now...... :beer: :D

TMB
12-22-2006, 10:04 PM
you should talk TMB.....How many are you up to now...... :beer: :D

How come there's no smiley for " la, la, la ......... I can't hear you!"

:p

physasst
12-22-2006, 10:06 PM
How come there's no smiley for " la, la, la ......... I can't hear you!"

:p

Yeah...when again are you ordering that Strong Crosser???? HMMMM.... :)

TMB
12-23-2006, 10:49 AM
The NOW Bike - I have a new-to-me Hampsten SBti in my work stand right now: Berthoud bags, Brooks B-17 with chromed rails, long reach calipers, Pasela 32mm tires, lots of silver Nitto, cloth tape, bar end shifters, and a 9-speed Dura Ace and XTR drivetrain. I am having a blast building it up, savoring every bolt and trying to find the shortest BB axle that will work with my M900 XTR cankset.

Bike of the Future - 650B. Not sure when or what flavor, but I have the wheels already.

:)

I am leaning more and more this way, useful, utilitarian and fun. I keep drooling over lugged steel racing bikes, I keep planning another custom steel Cross bike but I keep going back and looking at that Bleriot thinking it may be very close to perfect.

I fear I may be lost.

michael white
12-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Dude! 2 sweet frames at once? Worse than porn!

palincss
12-25-2006, 03:30 PM
The NOW Bike - I have a new-to-me Hampsten SBti in my work stand right now: Berthoud bags, Brooks B-17 with chromed rails, long reach calipers, Pasela 32mm tires, lots of silver Nitto, cloth tape, bar end shifters, and a 9-speed Dura Ace and XTR drivetrain. I am having a blast building it up, savoring every bolt and trying to find the shortest BB axle that will work with my M900 XTR cankset. Believe it or not, I have a Phil Wood 102mm symmetrical on order and I'm optimistic that it will work. YEAH, let's hear it for tight Q!

So how'd that work out for you? I have a 103 Phil bottom bracket and a M900 XTR crank on my Saluki, and it's just fine.

When I replaced the broken TA Zephyr with my other NOS M900 and asked the LBS to order a 103, I discovered after I picked up the bike that they'd carefully drawn a line through the 103 and replaced it with 107. I didn't notice it at the time - was too busy correcting the fact that they tried to charge me for the M900 crank, which I'd supplied!

billrick
12-27-2006, 06:08 AM
So how'd that work out for you? I have a 103 Phil bottom bracket and a M900 XTR crank on my Saluki, and it's just fine.

When I replaced the broken TA Zephyr with my other NOS M900 and asked the LBS to order a 103, I discovered after I picked up the bike that they'd carefully drawn a line through the 103 and replaced it with 107. I didn't notice it at the time - was too busy correcting the fact that they tried to charge me for the M900 crank, which I'd supplied!

So far, the 102 is fantastic. I only have one short test ride on the new BB, but it did not bottom out and there is plenty o' clearance with the stays. I'm going to do a long ride this weekend (projected sunny and 54 degrees- yee ha) and then re-install with the loctite.

I think I know that LBS! They always know better. I have the Phil tools if you ever need an adjustment. And I'll give you a discount on the parts you already own.

;)