PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mavic SSC brake caliper users

Steve in SLO
07-28-2019, 08:04 PM
I am a big fan of Mavic SSC calipers, and have been using them for years on several bikes. Recently, I noticed that the centering on some of them is off...i.e. one pad hits the rim before the other. They use a proprietary star shaped nut on the thrupost, as well as at pivot points. I can’t find anything in my toolbox to work without stripping the splines. Does anybody know of a tool that fits or if there is one available from Mavic? I looked around for about 15 minutes on Google without success.
If nobody knows of anything, I will just go back to the old guess/divide/average method using the allen head opposite the caliper.
Thanks!

Black Dog
07-28-2019, 08:11 PM
You can centre them by just grabbing the calliper with your hands. That bolt has flats on it that will accept cone wrench. At least my set does. They are still my favourite callipers of all time after Deltas.

Steve in SLO
07-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Geez, Daryl, you are absolutely right.
When I looked at them and felt them I didn’t note the double facet on the nut. A 14 cm cone wrench fits perfectly. Thanks.

Black Dog
07-28-2019, 09:04 PM
Geez, Daryl, you are absolutely right.
When I looked at them and felt them I didn’t note the double facet on the nut. A 14 cm cone wrench fits perfectly. Thanks.

No problemo Steve!

pdmtong
07-29-2019, 05:12 PM
It's too bad that the Mavic has not evolved the SSC dual pivot leaf spring design into a current design that could more easily fit the current wider rims and taller tires. That brake has a hand feel that is soooo nice with all the rim brake power one could want. .

martl
07-30-2019, 04:36 AM
Also a member of the SSC fanclub. i prefer them over my "other modern brakes", which are a skeleton-type chorus and a ~2006 105

The leaf spring is for me till today the most elegant approach since the hidden-spring record ti. The missing quickrelease is no issue since i prefer oldschool narrow rims and tires, up to 23mm there's no problem.

El Chaba
07-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Nothing else to add other than to record my presence as another member of the Mavic SSC brake fan club. IMHO, best brakes ever made for a road racing bicycle.

Veloo
07-30-2019, 09:14 AM
So these wouldn't clear a 28 mm tire on a 23 mm rim?

Steve in SLO
07-30-2019, 10:17 AM
Conti GP 4000’s. Belgium C2 rims. Rear tire is 25 mm with some tread wear. Front is a 23. I think 28s would be very tight, unless it was a small 28. Sorry about grainy dark garage shots and dirt. Far below minimum acceptable Paceline standards.

Black Dog
07-30-2019, 11:07 AM
So these wouldn't clear a 28 mm tire on a 23 mm rim?

Mine clear a 28mm tire on a 23mm rim with zero issues and I have a brake bridge that is really low..

pdmtong
07-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Mavic SSC fitment seems to vary - some (as noted here) report no issues wider rims and 25/28 tires, others do have issues (me, others) even accounting for forks.

I was trying to fit a belgium C2 with conti 25s on an ouzo pro...nope.

The lack of caliper release is no issue with campagnolo (duh) but with shim/sram just take out some air. which is the case if you have a flat. only a pita if transporting and need to remove wheel.

donevwil
07-30-2019, 03:22 PM
In a previous SSC love thread I recall someone chiming in that the brakes came in two distinct generations, earlier won't come close to working on wider rims while later ones would. I picked up a set to experience braking nirvana only to realize mine absolutely would not accommodate 23mm rims and that's the narrowest I had.