PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Excel sports deal on Pinarello TT bike

bthornt
07-28-2019, 12:44 PM
Don't know how many they have, sizes, etc. But it is a substantial markdown.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Graal+Frameset+2010&vendorCode=PINAREL&major=1&minor=1

fiamme red
07-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Maybe a good deal, but wow, is that frame ugly. :eek:

peanutgallery
07-28-2019, 01:36 PM
Apparently...according to another thread...don't buy a Campy kit in Europe and allow them to install it:)

If it's on the the internet...on sale...and your circle of knowledgeable friends are non-existent....and you have to ask a bunch of strangers...on the internet...if it's a good deal...don't do it

yinzerniner
07-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Don't know how many they have, sizes, etc. But it is a substantial markdown.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Graal+Frameset+2010&vendorCode=PINAREL&major=1&minor=1

2010 TT only frameset with zubaz-style graphics from a grey market seller with questionable warranty support!
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/574/takemymoney.jpg

nmrt
07-28-2019, 02:27 PM
i'm curious now...
"grey market seller"?
"questionable warranty"?
what gossip am i missing out on?

2010 TT only frameset with zubaz-style graphics from a grey market seller with questionable warranty support!
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/574/takemymoney.jpg

yinzerniner
07-28-2019, 02:37 PM
i'm curious now...
"grey market seller"?
"questionable warranty"?
what gossip am i missing out on?

Obviously my entire post was meant to be tongue in cheek in response to the earlier digs at excel. But these seem to be team TT rigs and not sure how excel or any other retailer handles these wrt warranty and manufacturer support.

Anyone have evidence of full manufacturer support for items not originally meant for consumer purchase?

tomato coupe
07-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Excel is not a grey market seller. They are a very reputable Pinarello dealer.

Blown Reek
07-28-2019, 02:49 PM
I like to wonder how many Paceliners are going through the mental exercise of whether they can justify this purchase. Somehow. I mean, that BOBB 610 sure looks good, right?

peanutgallery
07-28-2019, 02:51 PM
Campy install....#struggles

yinzerniner
07-28-2019, 02:53 PM

Will ask again - are team bikes covered by same warranties and protections as consumer products? I honestly don’t know, and it’s not clear if they are based on the info at excel.

But if these are simply team paint scheme consumer frames then yes, not grey market at all.

Still can’t abide by the Sinbad sweater graphics.

ultraman6970
07-28-2019, 02:55 PM
A cervelo S2 for 700 bucks is not a bad deal at all... if it cracks cervelo has to honor the warranty and you might get a 2019 frame instead. maybe?

Several pinarellos but for normal to super short people, either way the numbers arent bad at all.

peanutgallery
07-28-2019, 03:01 PM
B-I-N-G-O

#chinarello

Will ask again - are team bikes covered by same warranties and protections as consumer products? I honestly don’t know, and it’s not clear if they are based on the info at excel.

But if these are simply team paint scheme consumer frames then yes, not grey market at all.

Spdntrxi
07-28-2019, 03:04 PM

not to mention maybe 3 cycles out of date

herb5998
07-28-2019, 03:12 PM
From the website “They are being sold as new in box and come with full Pinarello factory warranty.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dan
07-28-2019, 03:13 PM

That is your opinion.

Anyways listed by Pinarello as a dealer.

AngryScientist
07-28-2019, 03:43 PM
B-I-N-G-O

#chinarello

Hey Peanut - your schtick about belittling anyone who buys or sells discounted gear from anyone but a LBS is getting a little old; give it a rest eh?

also, it's baseless to troll out "#chinarello" unless you have some proof when excel is a pinarello dealer.

Black Dog
07-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Not Team bikes, bikes with the same paint scheme as team bikes...:rolleyes:

This thread is wondering dangerously close to full absurdity.

bthornt
07-28-2019, 03:53 PM
Every transaction (and there have been many of them) that I have had with Excel Sports has been problem free. As the OP, I have absolutely no interest in these bikes, because I don't do the type of riding where ownership of such a bike would be required. I just posted the link because I thought that if you did do the type of riding where a pure TT bike would be appropriate, it would be a pretty good deal - as long as you rode a bike in the size that is available.

I have to confess that I'm a little surprised that there's any controversy about Excel Sports, to me they're pretty much the same as Competitive Cyclist, Backcountry, or Colorado Cyclist.

tomato coupe
07-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Hey Peanut - your schtick about belittling anyone who buys or sells discounted gear from anyone but a LBS is getting a little old; give it a rest eh?

also, it's baseless to troll out "#chinarello" unless you have some proof when excel is a pinarello dealer.

Yeah, what's up with that? Excel is a brick-and-mortar store that developed a very good online business. They've got a showroom full of bikes, they do fittings and they've got good mechanics. They often get NOS bikes and frames from manufacturers and sell them at big discounts.

peanutgallery
07-28-2019, 04:49 PM
What if a guy in Russia has an incredible deal?

It's a 9 year old bike being sold as new by a retailer that makes its bones racing to the bottom. And it's a tri bike

#chinarello

tomato coupe
07-28-2019, 05:14 PM

What does Campy have to do with it?

Then buy the black one.

What if a guy in Russia has an incredible deal?

What does that have to do with anything?

It's a 9 year old bike being sold as new by a retailer...

No, it's being sold as a NOS 2010 model.

... that makes its bones racing to the bottom.

Really? Have you priced an F12 Dogma on Excel's website? Or a new Factor frame?

And it's a try bike

Actually, it's a "tri" bike.

#chinarello

No, it's not.

Ronsonic
07-28-2019, 05:35 PM
If it's on the the internet...on sale...and your circle of knowledgeable friends are non-existent....and you have to ask a bunch of strangers...on the internet...if it's a good deal...don't do it

Bro' this IS my "circle of knowledgeable friends." The guys I ride with don't know **** about hardware.

Heisenberg
07-28-2019, 05:41 PM
ahhhh yes the slowest tt bike i ever had the pleasure of racing

peanutgallery
07-28-2019, 08:05 PM
No...I meant "try" bike

2010 to 2019 => 9 years, plus or minus a few lunar revolutions

What does Campy have to do with it?

No, it's being told (?) as a NOS 2010 model.

Actually, it's a "tri" bike.

peanutgallery
07-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Be careful, you'll be on a hite rite and 26" wheels by the end of the week:)

Bro' this IS my "circle of knowledgeable friends." The guys I ride with don't know **** about hardware.

Black Dog
07-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Being irrational is so irrational. :rolleyes:

Clean39T
07-28-2019, 09:09 PM
I've been purchasing from Excel for well over a decade, probably closer to two decades.

They are the classiest of class acts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tomato coupe
07-28-2019, 09:10 PM
2010 to 2019 => 9 years, plus or minus a few lunar revolutions

Thanks for the math lesson, but what's your point? They are very clear that it is a 2010 model frame.

berserk87
07-28-2019, 10:41 PM

I've done a lot of TT's and never once have I thought about the aesthetics of the frame when racing one. Maybe there's some other kind of competition for the runway-model frames based on looks alone.

steelbikerider
07-28-2019, 11:01 PM
Buy an Ultegra group and you have pro quality TT bike for less than $2000 minus wheels and a full frame warranty. With a good fitting, you can be as aero all but a few top riders. The only thing holding you back from sub 60 min tt's would be your own fitness.

If you are in the market for a tt bike, how is that not a good deal?

fiamme red
07-28-2019, 11:14 PM
I've done a lot of TT's and never once have I thought about the aesthetics of the frame when racing one.But then you have to look at it when you're not racing it, unless you keep it under sheets in the garage. :)

fiamme red
07-28-2019, 11:22 PM
By the way, this Opera is a good deal for anyone rides a 56cm and doesn't mind having only 10 speeds and rim brakes: https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Opera+Leonardo+FP+Record%2FChorus+2006&vendorCode=PINAREL&major=1&minor=35.

54ny77
07-29-2019, 12:53 AM
holy time warp, batman!

wiggins....best bike throw ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4i76on5zE&list=PLYxl1_p4uhw-RtKvPf3SLyZC14EyAEi8b&index=2&t=0s

jerk
07-29-2019, 03:12 AM
the graal was a great bike. very very fragile though and its geometry was designed for time trialists who liked to row their bike, use the bars as an additional point of leverage, and recruit fast twitch muscles.

this thing would make a pretty awful triathlon bike. it's too slack, too stiff, and its carbon is really thin.

still- this was an amazing bicycle for its time. you can't really get anything faster even today if you're a time trialist in the old school mold of say- a Michael Rich.

i don't post here often- but i wanted to thank the op for pointing this thing out- it's so cheap for what it is- i'm really tempted to buy one. those bars themselves were $1200 when they came out.

i need it like a hole in the head. i can build a skinnier and faster tt bike myself- but damn- those things were damn cool.

oldpotatoe
07-29-2019, 06:48 AM

Correct, they use the same US distributors as most LBS in the US..they get 'deals' cuz they buy in quantity but they are legit and deal with 'normal' product. While they DO sell online, they are a LBS in Boulder with the same displayed stuff and services as most any other BS is Boulder or Denver. Now, their wrenching 'may' be suspect concerning their Cervelo/Campag 12s thread, but they are a 'bike shop' in every sense of the word.

Planet Cyclery, now they are a 'different' animal..I'd stay away from them unless it's something that will NEVER need a warranty.

Blown Reek
07-29-2019, 07:49 AM
Remember when Excel Sports printed catalog had legitimate steel bikes like Gios, and also (what seemed at the time like) a house-brand of crappy plastic bikes called Cervelo (just like PricePoint had Sette)? Those were the days.

Excel Sports is legit as legit gets.

earlfoss
07-29-2019, 09:33 AM
Remember when Excel Sports printed catalog had legitimate steel bikes like Gios, and also (what seemed at the time like) a house-brand of crappy plastic bikes called Cervelo (just like PricePoint had Sette)? Those were the days.

Excel Sports is legit as legit gets.

Always liked the Colorado Cyclist catalog too! Litespeeds, Merckx, etc etc

Heisenberg
07-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Buy an Ultegra group and you have pro quality TT bike for less than $2000 minus wheels and a full frame warranty. With a good fitting, you can be as aero all but a few top riders. The only thing holding you back from sub 60 min tt's would be your own fitness.

If you are in the market for a tt bike, how is that not a good deal?

no

do not buy this bike thinking you will win a tt.

ever.

it is dog**** slow. you’re better off on a round-tubed bike. i was a pina-sponsored rider. i had to ride it. it was bad.

also, the integrated cockpit is worse than the bike. we swapped them all.

AngryScientist
07-29-2019, 10:06 AM
the graal was a great bike. ...

still- this was an amazing bicycle for its time. you can't really get anything faster even today if you're a time trialist in the old school mold of say- a Michael Rich.

i don't post here often- but i wanted to thank the op for pointing this thing out- it's so cheap for what it is- i'm really tempted to buy one. those bars themselves were $1200 when they came out.

no

do not buy this bike thinking you will win a tt.

ever.

it is dog**** slow. you’re better off on a round-tubed bike. i was a pina-sponsored rider. i had to ride it. it was bad.

also, the integrated cockpit is worse than the bike. we swapped them all.

lol. conflicting stories conflict.

makoti
07-29-2019, 10:21 AM
Planet Cyclery, now they are a 'different' animal..I'd stay away from them unless it's something that will NEVER need a warranty.

I bought tires from them. They arrived out of the boxes, stuffed into an envelope, with the actual boxes folded up & stuffed in with them. They were fine, but that was a bit disconcerting.

earlfoss
07-29-2019, 10:29 AM
I think the bigger deal at Excel Sports is right here:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Flip+Flop&vendorCode=ASSOS&major=5&minor=1

fiamme red
07-29-2019, 10:32 AM
I think the bigger deal at Excel Sports is right here:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Flip+Flop&vendorCode=ASSOS&major=5&minor=1Some mixed imagery here:

One of the highlights of any great ride is dismounting your steed and peeling those shoes and socks off of your feet. Once complete, you can then slip your hoofs into the soft and comfortable Assos Flip Flops, and reflect upon all the joys that post ride nirvana has to offer.So who is the horse, the bicycle or the rider? :rolleyes:

Tony
07-29-2019, 01:16 PM

So true!

Tony
07-29-2019, 01:16 PM

:)

berserk87
07-29-2019, 08:03 PM
But then you have to look at it when you're not racing it, unless you keep it under sheets in the garage. :)

You guys are killin' me.

charliedid
07-29-2019, 08:10 PM
holy time warp, batman!

wiggins....best bike throw ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4i76on5zE&list=PLYxl1_p4uhw-RtKvPf3SLyZC14EyAEi8b&index=2&t=0s

Seriously, that's my favorite bike racing video ever.

crossjunkee
08-15-2019, 09:38 AM
It's probably my Cervelo / Excel thread being referenced. I can only confirm I will NEVER spend another penny with them. And I will tell everyone I know to never spend another penny with them. They are brick and mortar, but it's clear they are a mailorder shop. Most of their inventory is "in the back".

Ronsonic
08-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Until five years ago I was rolling on 8s XT and a Girvin fork. So, uh, yeah.

Now, my mtb is fairly up to date, it's my road stuff that dates back to the turn of the century.