PDA

View Full Version : Shamal Ultra freehub lubricant

warren128
07-27-2019, 11:39 PM
While I'm waiting to locate a pawl spring to replace the broken one in my Shamal Ultra rear hub, I was wondering whether to use Dumonde freehub oil, or Dumonde freehub grease on the pawls and ratchets. I already have the Dumonde oil that I had used on my Mavic freehub (worked great), and I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether to use the Dumonde Freehub Oil, or the Dumonde Freehub grease on those parts.

Or maybe I can use Boeshield T-9 oil (I use it for my chains)?

BTW, I was lucky to make it home. While I was parking my bike, I noticed an eerie silence when rolling the bike to its parking spot.

After taking it apart, I found that only one pawl was still working, and the circular spring was broken. That was a close one. :)

I'm not sure what lube was used before, but it seems like a light grease. The resulting mess is a grey colored muck that I have to clean off of everything in there.

Thanks. :)

Tim Porter
07-28-2019, 06:23 AM
Light grease on the ratchet ring, lightly applied.

Drop or two of Mobil 1 on each of the pawls.

That's it.

oldpotatoe
07-28-2019, 06:31 AM
While I'm waiting to locate a pawl spring to replace the broken one in my Shamal Ultra rear hub, I was wondering whether to use Dumonde freehub oil, or Dumonde freehub grease on the pawls and ratchets. I already have the Dumonde oil that I had used on my Mavic freehub (worked great), and I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether to use the Dumonde Freehub Oil, or the Dumonde Freehub grease on those parts.

Or maybe I can use Boeshield T-9 oil (I use it for my chains)?

BTW, I was lucky to make it home. While I was parking my bike, I noticed an eerie silence when rolling the bike to its parking spot.

After taking it apart, I found that only one pawl was still working, and the circular spring was broken. That was a close one. :)

I'm not sure what lube was used before, but it seems like a light grease. The resulting mess is a grey colored muck that I have to clean off of everything in there.

Thanks. :)

I have them, $4 plus ship.

I use Mobil One on the pawls them selves..a very thin coating of grease on the pawl 'teeth'..