PDA

View Full Version : Scary stuff - Driver distraction

BobbyJones
07-26-2019, 10:55 AM
Last summer I spent a bit of time crisscrossing the country in a car, stopping in spots to camp and cycle.

Covering some serious miles (to me), i did notice some people on phones, etc, but nothing too outrageous.

I just got back from another road trip and *holy crap*. It seemed that every other driver on the highway was on their phone, texting, or looking down at the middle of their dashboard. Add in the frequent smell of pot smoke and I'll say as a road cyclist I got VERY frighted for the immediate future.

I also went from being an anti-autonomous vehicle person to "they can't get here fast enough"

Scary times.

commandcomm
07-26-2019, 11:28 AM
I never ride on the road anymore. I only stick to the bike paths in Oklahoma City. Fortunately, we have them throughout the city.

parallelfish
07-26-2019, 11:36 AM
There is a very busy intersection adjacent to my workplace. I often survey the cars waiting at the stop light and at least half of the drivers will be busy interfacing with their devices.

At least once a week I have a close encounter on the freeway with a driver driving the phone rather than the vehicle.

This year I have had two acquaintances killed while riding bikes on PCH. I am currently avoiding the streets. Fortunately I have a dedicated river path that takes me from the beach into the San Gabriel mountains.

tombtfslpk
07-26-2019, 12:20 PM
I also went from being an anti-autonomous vehicle person to "they can't get here fast enough"

Scary times.

I'm not sure I want to take my chances with autonomous cars either.
How about we disable phone over 5MPH?

jemoryl
07-26-2019, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure I want to take my chances with autonomous cars either.
How about we disable phone over 5MPH?

I've always wanted to have a way to disable phones when a car is in gear. Unfortunately, this really goes against some FCC regulations that would be hard to get around. I have read that such blocking is done in movie theaters in Japan and churches in Spain!

unterhausen
07-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Haven't seen this for a while, but for a while there, it was endemic. People pull into the left lane and slow down so they can text without hitting anyone. Doubly infuriating.

kookmyers
07-26-2019, 12:55 PM
My family commutes by bike. Yes, even my 4-yr old. I am infuriated by what I see on the road every day. Laws aren't going to fix this. Enforcement of said laws aren't going to fix this.

The only thing that will fix it is making the devices not work while moving.

I don't care about the passengers in a vehicle not being able to use them. I don't care that you were just trying to change the song your phone was playing. I don't care that you are 'hands free' and that you think talking on the phone is the same as talking to another passenger.

azrider
07-26-2019, 01:00 PM
There are waaaayyyyy too many corporations that will throw money at blocking a measure to make phones inoperable in a moving car......all about the money unfortunately

el cheapo
07-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Like many things in the good old U.S.A it comes down to $$$$. The federal and state governments recognize there's a major problem with public safety but very few locales have rules that can be enforced. Public awareness campaigns help but unless authorities don't threaten to lock up individuals and give out $1000 fines it will not stop. Too much money and influence with the communication carriers and device makers.

Nomadmax
07-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Distracted driving isn't going to slow down until it carries Felony 1, Felonious Assault or Murder charges. As long as killing or maiming someone with a car is a vehicular charge it will continue.

fiamme red
07-26-2019, 03:09 PM
You may be safer on gravel roads, but still not really safe.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/this_just_in/cyclist-recovering-after-being-hit-by-car/article_10318ae9-df0e-5578-99ab-8b95fb7d3286.html

A motorist hit a cyclist Wednesday afternoon on the gravel road that skirts the National Elk Refuge.

The cyclist suffered serious injuries and was rushed into surgery at St. John’s Medical Center, according to Teton County Sheriff’s Office. The man was recovering Thursday.

It happened around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday about 2 miles north of the Miller House on the Elk Refuge Road.

The motorist was passing when his vehicle hit the cyclist, officials said.

“The elderly male driving the Jeep was passing the cyclist but struck him for unknown reasons,” Sgt. Todd Stanyon said...

Gummee
07-26-2019, 07:41 PM
You may be safer on gravel roads, but still not really safe.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/this_just_in/cyclist-recovering-after-being-hit-by-car/article_10318ae9-df0e-5578-99ab-8b95fb7d3286.html

Dammit! Those spandex-clad [sexual preference slur deleted] are on MY road now?! I'll show him whose road it is!

M

tombtfslpk
07-26-2019, 08:46 PM
Like many things in the good old U.S.A it comes down to $$$$. The federal and state governments recognize there's a major problem with public safety but very few locales have rules that can be enforced. Public awareness campaigns help but unless authorities don't threaten to lock up individuals and give out $1000 fines it will not stop. Too much money and influence with the communication carriers and device makers.

I agree, but laws require enforcement. The police and courts have more on their plate than they can handle. Jail won't work, fines get avoided.
Yet the Federal Government has no problem mandating stupid back-up cameras. That's why I go back to fixing the devices. The Feds have that power, and cyclists wouldn't be the only ones to benefit.

Pastashop
07-26-2019, 10:27 PM
Distracted driving isn't going to slow down until it carries Felony 1, Felonious Assault or Murder charges. As long as killing or maiming someone with a car is a vehicular charge it will continue.

In Switzerland, the driver is assumed to be the culprit by default in any collision with a pedestrian or cyclist, and fines / consequences are usually very significant. Even being spotted in the phone while at the wheel carries heavy penalties and potential loss of license (which in principle is no big deal in Switzerland the land of amazing public transport, but...) Plus the culture as a whole is more conscientious. Consequently...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190727/eee4c70ebe500ef99c825ab0a6b76601.jpg

Irishgirl
07-27-2019, 02:17 AM
I recently heard about a large firm that is taking a hard line with distracted driving. This firm makes safety a priority and has strict no cell phone usage policy behind the wheel while on the clock. The firm has outlined consequences for those not abiding by the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cicli
07-27-2019, 04:37 AM
I recently heard about a large firm that is taking a hard line with distracted driving. This firm makes safety a priority and has strict no cell phone usage policy behind the wheel while on the clock. The firm has outlined consequences for those not abiding by the policy.

I used to work for a company that had drive cams in all company vehicles. Cell phone use or distracted driving was immediate termination. Everyone knew it. Hard line rule, no exceptions. Good rule, my time there made me a better driver and I carry that habit with me to this day.

oldpotatoe
07-27-2019, 06:34 AM
I've always wanted to have a way to disable phones when a car is in gear. Unfortunately, this really goes against some FCC regulations that would be hard to get around. I have read that such blocking is done in movie theaters in Japan and churches in Spain!

Negative..no 'FCC regulations' that prevent the driver from using their cellie when driving. It's the YUGE bribes by the telecommunication companies to congress that prevents this from happening...VEY easy to do but no 'will' to do it.

oldpotatoe
07-27-2019, 07:34 AM
bobby jones writes
Add in the frequent smell of pot smoke and I'll say as a road cyclist I got VERY frighted for the immediate future.

Pretty funny...NOT advocating driving while stoned(or drunk or texting or eating a bacon cheese burger)..but where do ya live? I live in the people's republic of Boulder and yup, there are legal weed stores like EVERYWHERE..google the 'green mile' in Denver..and while riding I very, very seldom smell weed.....So, regardless of the fear of 'demon weed', driving 'faced'(drink and drive)..is a MUCH bigger problem, along with distracted(cellie use) driving..

:)

jemoryl
07-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Negative..no 'FCC regulations' that prevent the driver from using their cellie when driving. It's the YUGE bribes by the telecommunication companies to congress that prevents this from happening...VEY easy to do but no 'will' to do it.

I didn't mean using a cell phone while driving violates a FCC regulation. What I meant is they regard jamming the phone signal a big no-no.

unterhausen
07-27-2019, 11:30 AM
cell phone blockers are in place in the U.S. under very limited circumstance. Like some places in hospitals. I thought about putting something in my car that would block nearby cars from having cell reception. But I always wondered if it might cause more problems while the driver tried to figure out why their phone didn't work

If you look at where the cell coverage is in the U.S., it pretty much follows the main highways. Some of that reflects where the population is, but not always. It's pretty rare that there is no coverage on a major highway.

Peter P.
07-27-2019, 04:04 PM
bobby jones writes

Pretty funny...NOT advocating driving while stoned(or drunk or texting or eating a bacon cheese burger)..but where do ya live? I live in the people's republic of Boulder and yup, there are legal weed stores like EVERYWHERE..google the 'green mile' in Denver..and while riding I very, very seldom smell weed.....So, regardless of the fear of 'demon weed', driving 'faced'(drink and drive)..is a MUCH bigger problem, along with distracted(cellie use) driving..

:)

I live in CT and weed was recently legalized for sale in neighboring MA.
I definitely notice it when I'm riding as cars pass, in either direction. Since you can't smell alcohol as drivers pass, I'd be interested in the statistics on the percent of drivers under alcohol vs. pot in locales that have access to both. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers soon reach parity.

I also agree that distracted driving is more of a problem than the former two.

Peter P.
07-27-2019, 04:09 PM
I thought about putting something in my car that would block nearby cars from having cell reception. But I always wondered if it might cause more problems while the driver tried to figure out why their phone didn't work.

While a great idea, it's illegal to jam cellphone signals without authorization. Personal jamming devices are available for you to bring to the theater, etc., by the way.

Others have done what you considered. The FCC has tracked them down and
prosecuted. (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=cell+phone+jammer+caught)

It would certainly be interesting to carry one while riding however, and watch nearby drivers' expressions!

dgauthier
07-28-2019, 12:07 AM

I'm sure you're referring to compulsory, mandated disabling of cell phones while driving. However, iOS 11 and later has a voluntary "do not disturb while driving" feature. It can even be set to activate automatically.

It works like a charm! I use it. I love it. Tell your friends, every little bit helps...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208090

Hawker
07-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Georgia passed a hands-free law about 18 months ago and it's "reported" that it is helping accidents attributed to distracted driving. But yes, it has to be enforced heavily to make a dent. I also think that auto manufactures need to re-think all the electronics in new cars. Whenever I rent a car I spend waaay too much time trying to play the radio, etc. I want knobs that turn and buttons that push....not touch sensitive controls!!!!!

kiwisimon
07-29-2019, 04:24 PM
I have read that such blocking is done in movie theaters in Japan and churches in Spain!

Here in Japan they aren't blocked but there is a short PSA telling people to turn them off and using them is a potential crime (copyright laws). BUT people are texting and driving all the time over here as well. And distracted drivers kill cyclists too.

jemoryl
07-29-2019, 04:42 PM
Here in Japan they aren't blocked but there is a short PSA telling people to turn them off and using them is a potential crime (copyright laws). BUT people are texting and driving all the time over here as well. And distracted drivers kill cyclists too.

I had read somewhere that phones could be blocked in theaters, to stop ringing and bright screens detracting. This was some time ago, and not universally, just in the context of something that could not legally be done in the US.

Hellgate
07-29-2019, 04:46 PM
We block them at work once an employee enters a speedgate. There's an app on the phone that disables features. Once the exit thru the speedgate the features are enabled.

bambam
07-30-2019, 03:51 PM
While in North Carolina Saturday I noticed statewide it is hands free or ticket??? I think.

Not a complete solution, but as start.

oldpotatoe
07-31-2019, 06:26 AM
While in North Carolina Saturday I noticed statewide it is hands free or ticket??? I think.

Not a complete solution, but as start.

I don't get it..WHAT is SO important that you MUST use yer cellie while driving? Whether it's no hands or NOT??

OK, yer chasing a criminal..and need to talk to LEO while you are chasing him..:confused:

yeegads..Once upon a time you had to stop to find a pay phone and wait till ya got home to dialup the interweb and do instant messenger..:eek:

mcteague
07-31-2019, 06:42 AM
MD has a law against hand held cell phone use and I doubt it stops much. When on my bike, and motorcycle, I have a great view inside of cars. I am amazed how many people I see with the phone in their hand while behind the wheel. I get most nervous on long, straight roads. That seems to be the time many drivers feel "safe" in checking their phones. I try and keep to twisty roads when riding, more fun for me and perhaps safer too.

Tim

soulspinner
07-31-2019, 07:30 AM
Woman on my street does her eyelashes every morning while driving. She scares me :bike:

oldpotatoe
07-31-2019, 07:54 AM
Woman on my street does her eyelashes every morning while driving. She scares me :bike:

It's a dopey world...:eek:

Jaybee
07-31-2019, 08:29 AM

My firm has this policy as well, at least in theory. In practice, we spend a ton of time on the road and if you don’t answer client/manager calls while driving you hear about your “non-responsiveness” later. Slowly the tide is changing, led primarily by our younger workers who aren’t comfortable with the hypocrisy and double standard and by a couple major clients who realize the liability from their contractors being on the phone while charging time to their projevts

RFC
07-31-2019, 09:24 AM
As to a related hazard, whenever I see a Lincoln Town Car (and there are a lot of them here) I jump the curb and head for the sidewalk.

chiasticon
07-31-2019, 09:51 AM
I live in CT and weed was recently legalized for sale in neighboring MA.
I definitely notice it when I'm riding as cars pass, in either direction.same here in Ohio and recreational use is not legal here; medical just recently, but it's not really available yet. regardless, for years I've been able to smell it wafting out of cars. the funniest is when I'll pass certain houses frequently which always smell of it (but hey, at least they're not out on the road). cops should get out on bikes more often so they know who to bust ;)

rustychisel
07-31-2019, 08:04 PM

And a fair point, but why should it be down to a company or corporation.

A license to drive is a privilege, it is not a right. In line with the Swiss example - at the point of license testing and issuing a very clear waiver should be signed by the aspiring driver: "I understand that if I have an incident whist driving a vehicle and am found to be using my cell phone at the time, I am solely and wholly at fault."

Gummee
07-31-2019, 08:24 PM
And a fair point, but why should it be down to a company or corporation.There's no political will. Corporations have their bottom line in mind, so it's an easy decision for them.

M

Hawker
07-31-2019, 09:09 PM
I don't get it..WHAT is SO important that you MUST use yer cellie while driving? Whether it's no hands or NOT??

OK, yer chasing a criminal..and need to talk to LEO while you are chasing him..:confused:

yeegads..Once upon a time you had to stop to find a pay phone and wait till ya got home to dialup the interweb and do instant messenger..:eek:

Yes indeed!

rustychisel
07-31-2019, 10:14 PM
There's no political will. Corporations have their bottom line in mind, so it's an easy decision for them.

M

Yeah, I totally get that. Just making the point (as it annoys me beyond compare that people think they have a right to drive).

duff_duffy
07-31-2019, 10:36 PM
Down at the jersey shore yesterday this guy was driving an ambulance while texting...called him on it and got a bit heated.