PDA

View Full Version : Serial numbers

91Bear
07-26-2019, 09:48 AM
My fairly new Ciocc has a serial number stamped into the bottom bracket shell but either the stamping is faint or the paint is too thick and I cannot read the number. Any suggestions on how to figure it out? I don't really want to remove the paint to read it. I thought about finding some sort of small metal tag and just making my own and somehow bonding it to the BB shell.
I could use and engraver and engrave my driver's license number to it but I don't really want to do that either. It looks cheap and invites rust.

Black Dog
07-26-2019, 09:12 PM
Write on or engrave some thin and flexible plastic (like from a yogurt container) and cut it so that it is about 1.5x the diameter of your seat tube. Flex it and push it down the seat tube with your seat post. You can retrieve it with a section of coat hanger with a hook bent into one end. It will stay put and will be unknown to any thief. This assumes that your seat tube has a constant bore diameter and you don’t have a battery in there for an EPS group etc.

charliedid
07-26-2019, 10:23 PM
Just take a bunch of pics and keep them on your phone. And remember the odds of recovering a stolen bike are slim to none.

91Bear
07-27-2019, 09:02 AM
Just take a bunch of pics and keep them on your phone. And remember the odds of recovering a stolen bike are slim to none.

Yeah, I already had my favorite bike stolen about four years ago.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1871733#post1871733