PDA

View Full Version : robin williams cycling in SF

thwart
07-25-2019, 06:57 PM
Late to the party as usual, but I saw this short video today on iBOB. It was posted to commemorate Robin's birthday, a few days ago.

May have been posted here before, but...

Figured the crowd here might enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/Q50cpV9-4oI

guyintense
07-25-2019, 08:46 PM
I did enjoy that. Thanks!

bcroslin
07-25-2019, 08:51 PM
He was ripping up those climbs

pbarry
07-25-2019, 08:53 PM
Thanks for posting! The man loved cycling and bikes and that place. He gave us a sense of joy with his work. Happy Birthday RW.

eddief
07-25-2019, 09:07 PM
so brilliant, so talented, so tortured, so incredibly sad.

texbike
07-26-2019, 12:08 AM
VERY cool! I'm a fan of both Robin Williams and the Bay Area - especially Marin.

Texbike

overmyhead
07-26-2019, 06:39 AM
That was great. Thank you.

charliedid
07-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Spaghetti Legs
07-26-2019, 07:30 PM
A former City dweller. I’m with you all the way Robin.

Dino Suegiù
07-26-2019, 07:47 PM
His golf thing still makes me laugh. What a character.

Thanks for the look into his love for both things.

SoCalSteve
07-26-2019, 08:23 PM
A few years back...well, probably many by now, I was lucky enough to spend a few miles riding with Mr Williams. My buddy and I were coming back from our usual Sunday morning ride to Malibu and on the way back, in Santa Monica, I spotted a Colnago C40 with the Mapiea ( sp ) color way. I owned this exact bike at one time , only much larger.

So, of course I proceeded to spark up a conversation about his bike and how I missed mine...well, turned out it was Robin Williams. I couldn’t really see him so well at first, helmet and all, but I recognized his voice immediately. We road down Ocean Ave for a few miles, just chit chatting away, one cyclist to another.

He mentioned that he owned way too many bikes and he was going to auction off a bunch for the Wounded Warrior Project. He looked me up and down and said he was a hobbit and that his bikes would never fit me.

Was a fun time chatting with him.

SlowPokePete
07-27-2019, 06:02 AM
R.I.P.

Really like that guy.

SPP

avalonracing
07-27-2019, 07:35 AM
As a performer was known mostly for his comedy but his serious rolls are where he really shined. If you haven't seen it yet check out the movie One Hour Photo. It's an artistically beautiful film and he plays the lead with such pathos that you'll appreciate his talent like never before.

oldpotatoe
07-27-2019, 07:40 AM
As a performer was known mostly for his comedy but his serious rolls are where he really shined. If you haven't seen it yet check out the movie One Hour Photo. It's an artistically beautiful film and he plays the lead with such pathos that you'll appreciate his talent like never before.

Also Good Will Hunting, What Dreams May Come, even Good Morning VietNam..very sad..talented, amazing public persona but many, many demons.

Hopefully he is at peace now..

EPOJoe
07-27-2019, 06:14 PM
Would have loved to have had a chance to ride with Mr. Williams. The disease that took his life sounds truly horrible.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lewy-body-dementia/symptoms-causes/syc-20352025

Dan Le foot
07-27-2019, 08:37 PM
I had the pleasure of riding and chatting with him on a number of occasions over the years at “the San Diego Challenged”. It’s an annual half Ironman triathlon put on by the “Challenged Athlete Foundation” that supports handicap folks who wish to participate in sports. CAF invites many of the top handicapped athletes from around the world (not sure why I get invited) to compete along side abled bodied men and woman. For many years Robin and Rudy Garcia, a double above the knee amputee were the face of the event.
Robin was a good rider and a bike geek like the rest of us. At one time he had 75 high end bikes in his stable. He once told me his Colnago C50 built with Campy was his favorite ride.
I found Robin to be generous, humble, humorous (of course) and surprising shy.
The great man was one of the top comedians and actors of our time. Unfortunately his demons got the best of him. He is missed.

spiderman
07-27-2019, 10:36 PM
I do miss RW — I rode my rocket 7s
Until they disintegrated because
RW loved his and recommended them

Mike V
07-27-2019, 11:28 PM
Climbing in a 42!