PDA

View Full Version : How Battaglin creates a Cromovelato finish on a steel frame

fiamme red
07-25-2019, 12:49 PM
A link to this video was posted on the CR list. Apologies if it's already been posted here.

https://vimeo.com/349037316

Bisquik
07-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the video. It was a very light on the 'how' details but at least we now know its a 4 step process. Beautiful finish.

djdj
07-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Apparently the chrome process causes the frame to shrink.

Ttx1
07-26-2019, 01:07 AM
Apparently the chrome process causes the frame to shrink.

I lol’d

wallymann
07-26-2019, 07:44 AM
my recollection is that chrome is actually somewhat porous and requires ongoing treatment to ensure that corrosion does not occur.

buddybikes
07-26-2019, 07:51 AM
Useless other than word laquer, so assume this is just a laquered finish, beautiful but is it in any way rideable/durable?

Dave
07-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Normally, chrome plating is a 3 step process, starting with copper plating for corrosion resistance, then a heavy layer of nickel, that really brings out the shine and brilliance, followed by a thin layer of chrome plating. Normal chrome would not get inside the tubing.

The only way to get plating inside the tubes would be an electroless plating bath and that also would require continual flushing of the plating solution, through the tubes.

I used to apply electroless nickel to parts for the M16 rifle, but it was strictly for corrosion resistance of a steel pin inside the aluminum door that's in the butt of the rifle, where the cleaning kit goes. Hundreds of these pins were placed in a plastic rotating drum and left in the solution for a long time, but I can't remember how many minutes or hours.

The paint used these days is hopefully a translucent (candy) urethane, not old fashioned acrylic lacquer that chips easily.

Dino Suegiù
07-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Useless other than word laquer, so assume this is just a laquered finish, beautiful but is it in any way rideable/durable?

By lacquer he means standard clear-coat (tinted), and not literal furniture, etc. lacquer.

Too bad the video left out all the important intermediate steps between #3 and #4.
"Lots of smoke, little meat."