PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for a wheelbuilder

ergott
12-14-2006, 07:45 PM
I just put together my next set of wheels.

White Industries H1 hubs
Nimble Fly rims
Sapim Laser spokes
20 radial front/28 radial/3X rear
alloy nipples
1280g

I noticed that these rims are very strong. David over at Nimble is a very passionate man and is a great guy to talk to. I can't wait to put miles and miles on these!

http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Fly_White/fly_front_1.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Fly_White/fly_front_2.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Fly_White/fly_rear_1.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Fly_White/fly_rear_2.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Fly_White/fly_rear_3.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Fly_White/fly_rim_1.jpg
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//images/Fly_White/fly_rim_2.jpg

Jeremy
12-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey Eric,

Nice wheels. Isn't that a 20 hole front?

Cheers,

Jeremy

stevep
12-14-2006, 08:01 PM
eric,
those wheels stink. i'll give you $200 for the pair.
give the report after you try them.
nice,
s

saab2000
12-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Nice!!! Ride Report ASAP.

sg8357
12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
eric,
nice,
s

Obvious factory seconds, they're missing a bunch of spokes.

Scott G.

saab2000
12-14-2006, 08:27 PM
How would these compare to Hyperons in stiffness? You must make a ride report. These are the first handbuilts I have seen in a while that really seem like they could end up on a bike of mine....... :beer:

davids
12-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Obvious factory seconds, they're missing a bunch of spokes.

Scott G.
...and there appear to be strange scratches all over those rims...

ergott
12-14-2006, 08:35 PM
This weekend should prove sufficient for first impressions. I've got to say that laying Veloflex rubber on any set of wheels give them an unfair advantage;-)

ergott
12-14-2006, 08:37 PM
eric,
nice,
s

$200?! (your getting screwed;-)

Steelhead
12-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Two Questions -

1. How long was the conversation with Nimble? Last time I spoke to them we talked wheels for almost an hour, and a friend of mine got 1.5 hours out of them just talking wheels on the phone. You ain't kidding about them being into wheels.

2. Is the braking surface directly onto the carbon - is that where the pads contact the wheels. Looks like it to me - what is the life expectancy if thats the case.

Cool Wheels - and from Texas !
:banana:

ergott
12-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Didn't ask about the brake track, but I can make another 2 hour call (answers the first question). I know that at least Campy wheels are similar.

Ligero
12-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Light, stiff, and half the price of Hyperions. I guess they are Ok :)

Ligero
12-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Didn't ask about the brake track, but I can make another 2 hour call (answers the first question). I know that at least Campy wheels are similar.

The brake surface will last just as long as a pair of Hyperions and when was the last time you saw a worn set of those.

Steelhead
12-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Very Nice.

Zipp tubes? Have not seen those before - or are they tubulars with a Zipp stem?

Simon Q
12-14-2006, 09:29 PM
This weekend should prove sufficient for first impressions. I've got to say that laying Veloflex rubber on any set of wheels give them an unfair advantage;-)

Ergott, are you talking about Veloflex clinchers as well? I am liking my GP 4000's so far as a do it all tyre - feel comfy, roll nicely, wear well and, importantly, don't puncture easily. However, would be most interested in your learned views on the realtive merits, thanks.

saab2000
12-15-2006, 05:01 AM
Very Nice.

Zipp tubes? Have not seen those before - or are they tubulars with a Zipp stem?

Those are Veloflex tubulars with what looks like a Zipp valve extender. Zipp does sell tubulars as well, but I don't know who makes them.

ergott
12-15-2006, 06:50 AM
Word has it that Zipp tires are made in the same factory as Vittoria. Neither in Italy.

As far as clinchers, I can't say first-hand how the Veloflex are, but if the quality is anything like the tubulars, then their great in my book. I have a couple of pairs of Pro Race2 that I'll burn through before I try anything else out. That should take a while because I don't rid clinchers very often.

FOLLOW UP:
I road the trainer (Kinetic) with the front wheel on this morning. I have to tell you that the front end is much stiffer than the 105/OP I usually have. The steering was much more positive and my arms didn't tire at all. I can't imagine how the pair will ride!
:p

terrytnt
12-15-2006, 07:17 AM
These rims are really cool Eric. Are the Nimble Fly rims pricey? Are they avialable in 700cc? Sounds like an incredible backup set of wheels!!!

ergott
12-15-2006, 07:25 AM
These rims are really cool Eric. Are the Nimble Fly rims pricey? Are they avialable in 700cc? Sounds like an incredible backup set of wheels!!!

These are 700c. Pricey, not compared to the competition.

Backup to what?

Spicoli
12-15-2006, 07:37 AM
ERIC FOOLISHLY TOLD ME WHERE HE LIVES, SO TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER I'LL BREAK IN AND STEAL THEM FOR YOU? OF COURSE YOU GET THEM AFTER I AM DONE WITH EM! ;)

PS DUDE THEY LOOK SICK! WHAT OTHER CARBON RIMS ARE FISHING AROUND FOR? STILL THINKIN ABOUT USING CORIMA CARBON? :beer:

ergott
12-15-2006, 07:38 AM
ERIC FOOLISHLY TOLD ME WHERE HE LIVES, SO TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER I'LL BREAK IN AND STEAL THEM FOR YOU? OF COURSE YOU GET THEM AFTER I AM DONE WITH EM! ;)

PS DUDE THEY LOOK SICK! WHAT OTHER CARBON RIMS ARE FISHING AROUND FOR? STILL THINKIN ABOUT USING CORIMA CARBON? :beer:

Corima rims are hot, but hard to get in the US and expensive when you do.

Geoff
12-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Those look nice! I have noticed you have been using the White Industries hubs. I have not used these, how do they compare to DT, DA, Tune, etc?

G

Sandy
12-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Ergott, are you talking about Veloflex clinchers as well? I am liking my GP 4000's so far as a do it all tyre - feel comfy, roll nicely, wear well and, importantly, don't puncture easily. However, would be most interested in your learned views on the realtive merits, thanks.

I will give you my analysis of the two since I have ridden both- 700x22 Veloflex Pave tire and 700x25 GP 4000 tires. It must be noted that I used 120r and 115f on the Veloflex and 105r and 95f on the GP 4000.

I like the GP 4000 much better. Both give a comfortable, supple ride. The ride of the Veloflex is probably its best feature. I actually think the ride quality of the GP 4000 is better, but I am using much lower psi and a significantly wider tire. The Veloflex weighs 185 grams and the GP 4000 weighs 215 (in the 700x25 size). Both roll extremely well. The front end of the bike seems more planted with the GP 4000 and the handling seems more confidence inspiring, although the handling of the Veloflex is excellent and gives a quicker feel.

The Veloflex Pave tire is very thin, especially its center section and cuts very easily and hence yields many more flats. I have about 1450 miles on my first set of GP 4000 tires and have never had a flat, and the tires are remarkably almost void of any cuts. Veloflex tires are not very durable, whereas it appears that the tread life on the Gp 4000 will be excellent. I find no discernible notice of lower speeds in the wider 700x25 tires compared to 700x23 tires. In fact some reports are that they are faster. They certainly are more comfortable.

After reading about front end blowouts on bikes, I decided that I didn't need a thin 700x22 tire that cuts easliy, so I stopped using them. I will absolutely never go back.

I find the GP tires to be superior to the Veloflex. I know that most here will not say this, as the Veloflex tires are hard to beat relative to ride quality, handling, and speed, but that is not all involved. I think that the GP 4000 excels in all areas, and the Veloflex does not. Note- The GP 4000 I use are 700x25, as said before.

The Michelin Man

PS- Ergott- I didn't mean to steal this thread. I was just answering Simon's question.

ergott
12-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Those look nice! I have noticed you have been using the White Industries hubs. I have not used these, how do they compare to DT, DA, Tune, etc?

G

Similar to Tune, but less expensive/heavier. I really like the titanium freehub body. Shimano splines get chewed up with cassettes when they are aluminium. They require no special tool to disassemble and maintain. They weigh
75g front
226g rear (Shimano)
252g rear (Campagnolo)
There is an extra bearing in the Campy version.

I like both Tune and White Industries better than DT. I like Shimano 7800. Only 10S compatible so not for everybody. Also sometimes difficult to find in lower spoke counts.

CarbonTi
12-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Corima rims are hot, but hard to get in the US and expensive when you do.

Yeah that's an understatment on the exorbitant price on Corima's in North America.

Corima carbon rims are very expensive if sourced through the US distributor Velspec - Corima USA. Their price for a carbon Winium tubular rim was $749 each. Dang. This price is nowhere near the equivalent Euro cost of these rims over the pond. It'd be nice to build up a set of Winiums but at that price I'll stay with Crono F20's for a price that, next to Corima's, feels like free.

Hey ergott, fantastic wheels, I'm taking a cue from you and will built some F20's with Sapim Lasers all around - never tried Lasers on the drive-side before.

zap
12-15-2006, 12:01 PM
I second Sandys veloflex pave v gp4000 experience. My veloflex tire flatted within 20 miles.

The GP4000's are great tires. Conti is back!!!! Their new tubulars should be great.

Interesting that WI adds a bearing to the campy version.

PS Ergott, great looking wheels.

Ahneida Ride
12-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Conti's have sidewall Issues ... Beware ....

zap
12-15-2006, 02:01 PM

had............no one knows that better than zap & zip. Just ask tt. He saw the whole fiasco crash in front of him.

So far, the sidewalls on our gp4000 set is holding up quite well.

Those nimbles look good, don't they. I wonder when they will introduce a deep rim.

rpm
12-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Count me among the Conti 4000 700 x 25 fans,. I rode them all last season with no flats.

Ligero
12-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Yeah that's an understatment on the exorbitant price on Corima's in North America.

Corima carbon rims are very expensive if sourced through the US distributor Velspec - Corima USA. Their price for a carbon Winium tubular rim was $749 each. Dang. This price is nowhere near the equivalent Euro cost of these rims over the pond. It'd be nice to build up a set of Winiums but at that price I'll stay with Crono F20's for a price that, next to Corima's, feels like free.

Hey ergott, fantastic wheels, I'm taking a cue from you and will built some F20's with Sapim Lasers all around - never tried Lasers on the drive-side before.

I could not believe the prices when I got the price list from Velspec! The retail price (even with VAT) in Europe is cheaper then the wholesale price from Velspec. I emailed them and told them how you could buy them at retail for less then wholesale from them but I never got a response back.

gasman
12-15-2006, 08:47 PM

Had issues.

I am still using a conti gatorskin on the front tire of my commuter. No problems after 2 years.
I previously used Conti 3000's on my good road bike without problems but switched to Michelin Pro 2 last year-love 'em.
I am thinking of a Conti 4000 for my front tire on my winter rain bike.
I use Specialized Armadillos on the rear for my commuter and my rain bike-no flats but ride like crap.

Simon Q
12-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks to Sandy and all for their comments on Velo vs GP4000.

I am riding the 700x23 and find them the best that I have used, prefer them to Mich ProRace that I used for ages (still a very good tyre mind). Tyres need to run well of course but flats can ruin the enjoyment of cycling (especially in a race!) so that gives the GP4000's a big edge in my book.

Thanks again.

ergott
12-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Did a quick 20 today. I'm a bad judge of a fast wheel right now, because I'm in much better shape right now so everything feels fast. This summer should prove to be real interesting!

That said, I can say all the usual BS about them. They "felt" fast, yada yada. They didn't suck in out of the saddle or in turns. I don't have any problem leaving them on the bike for a while no matter what the road conditions are. I don't try to miss stuff. I ride over it and that's that. I don't feel nervous about breaking them as I have in the past with some other carbon wheels.

I can say that I was in relatively windy conditions and they felt pretty neutral. I never felt crosswinds to be a problem (I've used a full disk with a Carbone before in 20+), but I am aware when the wind effects a bike handling. I just don't care. Again, no problems. I wouldn't take my hands off the bars with the wind gusting at my side, but I wouldn't do that with any wheels if I don't have to. They never felt like they were leading me anywhere but straight.

They aren't any more noisy than aluminium rims which I like. The cool sound of a Zipp (or similar) rumbling along at speed is nice for a while, but it gets old. I like quiet when the wind is behind me. The same can be said for Hyperons I've tried. The carbon doesn't act like a giant membrane amplifying every noise. Nice and quiet rolling.

Bottom line, there was nothing that surprised me negatively. They were predictable, felt solid under me and were easy to spin up. I averaged a little over 19mph and felt great. When a light wheel set such as this behaves like a normal wheel set and doesn't feel fragile, I'm happy. Some carbon wheels just feel nervous and I know someone here knows exactly what I'm talking about. Now I have to come up with an excuse to keep all my other wheels I have kicking around here!

Cheers,

ergott
12-25-2006, 02:34 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=291734&postcount=51

I posted the good stuff in the gallery, but I thought that for those of you following this thread, I'd give you an update.