PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions - tubeless tape

Clancy
07-23-2019, 11:12 AM
It’s time to re-tape some wheels. I’ve always used Stan’s but never been real happy with it.

What tape are you using that you’re happy with? Are any made that have some tackiness to ‘em?

Not looking for home brew set-ups like gorilla tape. I don’t want to be pondering the state of my tubeless set-up bombing down a gravel descent at speed.

bigbill
07-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Stan's on all my wheels. Even use it as rim tape on my non-tubeless wheels. I tried Gorilla tape and it worked but it's thicker and imo, made mounting the tire harder.

I spend a lot of time cleaning my rims with alcohol and rags before replacing tape. The only issues I had with Stan's is when I didn't clean well enough or used the wrong width.

morrisericd
07-23-2019, 11:45 AM
My favorite tape is Tesa Tape. I found it on Ebay. Jerry from Next Wheels (forum sponsor) turned me on to this stuff after I complained about Stans. Excellent stuff!

oldpotatoe
07-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Either 3m or Scotch brand from ebay..LOTS cheaper than the bike branded stuff and essentially, the same thing.

like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21-mm-Tubeless-Bicycle-Wheel-Rim-Tape-21-mm-x-60-yds/183658937199?epid=1407762381&hash=item2ac2ecfb6f:g:3GcAAOSwf-VWaFcz:sc:USPSFirstClass!80304!US!-1

Tony
07-23-2019, 11:47 AM
It’s time to re-tape some wheels. I’ve always used Stan’s but never been real happy with it.

What tape are you using that you’re happy with? Are any made that have some tackiness to ‘em?

Not looking for home brew set-ups like gorilla tape. I don’t want to be pondering the state of my tubeless set-up bombing down a gravel descent at speed.

What don't you like about the tape? I tried several including Pacenti, Gorilla tape, and E thirteen. I keep coming back to Stan's.

cinco
07-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Oops. Didn't read far enough into your post. GT is my go to. You do you.

Andy in Houston

thermalattorney
07-23-2019, 12:08 PM
What don't you like about the tape? I tried several including Pacenti, Gorilla tape, and E thirteen. I keep coming back to Stan's.

I hate to say it but I'm in the same camp as Tony. There might be better options out there but Stans is the best I've tried. That blue 3m tape was a total bust for my road tubeless setup.

ColonelJLloyd
07-23-2019, 01:24 PM
I use the blue 3M stuff (some labeled Pacenti or Velocity) and have used the Orange Seal wide stuff for my i45 rim. But, Stan's is a touch thicker and has always worked great for me tubeless or not. Add me to the chorus of head-scratchers who are curious what about Stan's doesn't pass muster with you.

cento1
07-23-2019, 01:28 PM
the Giant Tubeless tape is the best that ive used so far

Jaybee
07-23-2019, 01:29 PM
I kinda like the bontrager branded tape, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference between that and Stans apart from color.

I also like Gorilla Tape too, as long as its thickness doesn't make tire inflation challenging. It seems to lay down in the channel without bubbling easier than some of the purposed tapes.

vqdriver
07-23-2019, 01:36 PM
i've only used those two, stans and gorilla. no complaints with either because any problems i've had were on my end. either didn't clean the surface well or i bungled the valve hole. once on, they've never failed on me.
tho if on a gravel bike (like 32-40 ish tires) i could see how gorilla tape could make mounting tougher.

Clancy
07-23-2019, 01:57 PM
I don’t like the way Stan’s bubbles, not always easy to lay flat, and I’ve find it easy to push away from the bead when mounting tight fitting tires unless REALLY careful. It has zero tackiness so it’s not that easy to get started and slides around. Plus the meticulous cleaning.

It’s the only tape I’ve used for maybe 10 years and countless set-ups. Since it hasn’t change I figured for sure someone else has improved on it.

Most of the time setting-up is straight forward but when it’s not, it’s a PIA that I dread tackling. And when it is a PIA, always seems to be the tape.

So Stan’s still the best from the biggest majority here seems.

dem
07-23-2019, 02:16 PM
All the tubeless tape is the same stuff - variations of "strapping tape"

https://www.tesa.com/en/industry/tesa-4289.html

3M and others make similar flavors. Buy based on thickness and layers you require for the pressure you're running.

The key to avoiding bubbles is strettttttttttttching the tape. If you ain't sore at the end, you probably didn't stretch enough. :)

vqdriver
07-23-2019, 02:33 PM
I don’t like the way Stan’s bubbles, not always easy to lay flat, and I’ve find it easy to push away from the bead when mounting tight fitting tires unless REALLY careful. It has zero tackiness so it’s not that easy to get started and slides around. Plus the meticulous cleaning.

It’s the only tape I’ve used for maybe 10 years and countless set-ups. Since it hasn’t change I figured for sure someone else has improved on it.

Most of the time setting-up is straight forward but when it’s not, it’s a PIA that I dread tackling. And when it is a PIA, always seems to be the tape.

So Stan’s still the best from the biggest majority here seems.

you may want to post up at mtbr. those guys have tried everything under the sun. tho i suspect dem is right in that they're all pretty similar.
from my experience, the big variable as far as usability is actually the width. depending on the rim bed and the center contour thing, the tape doesn't always sit the way i like. offset spoke holes sometimes lead to a wavy back and forth with the tape if i'm feeling too lazy to get a bigger size. which is why gorilla is great because you can just rip in whatever width you want.

madsciencenow
07-23-2019, 04:31 PM
+1 on the Gorilla tape. As stated you can easily get the width you want and it sticks well in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony
07-23-2019, 08:22 PM
+1 on the Gorilla tape. As stated you can easily get the width you want and it sticks well in my experience.

Sticks too well, difficult to remove the residue the tape leaves behind.

peanutgallery
07-23-2019, 08:46 PM
Gorilla tape? Haven't needed that for years, its a terrible fit with tubeless ready rims, worked Ok with old school regular rims. If you're using on a tubeless rim...you are a total hack:) or a shade tree mechanic. Plus its messy

Every time I try something else, I always wind up using stans again. All the other brands are terrible. Keep in mind, it gets janky and you have to replace it as needed with the correct width. It's not a lifetime purchase like a 90s ti bike or 8 speed campy you guys prattle on about

Relatively cheap product, so I get the real stuff

Lewis Moon
07-24-2019, 08:23 AM
The two things that make tape pretty much unusable for me are: a) adhesive that is too thick and sloppy, and b) brittleness.
Thick, sloppy adhesive really allows the tape to spooge all over the inside of the rim when mounting tires. I've had tape slide far enough to expose a spoke hole. Brittle tape can crack around spoke holes, especially when you're smoothing the bubbles out of the first layer with your thumb or finger.
That being said, I usually buy Kapton tape off of Amazon. It usually has relatively thin adhesive, but you have to watch not to apply too nuch pressure over the spoke holes on the first pass.

false_Aest
07-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Silca.

</thread>

jc031699
07-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Either 3m or Scotch brand from ebay..LOTS cheaper than the bike branded stuff and essentially, the same thing.

like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21-mm-Tubeless-Bicycle-Wheel-Rim-Tape-21-mm-x-60-yds/183658937199?epid=1407762381&hash=item2ac2ecfb6f:g:3GcAAOSwf-VWaFcz:sc:USPSFirstClass!80304!US!-1

Same here
Clean rim bed with acetone before applying
Can smooth it out a bit with a touch of heat gun after it’s down too

November uses Tesa 4298
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/ive-had-rim-strips-348538.html
https://novemberbicycles.com/products/rim-tape-for-tubeless-and-clincher-tires

illuminaught
07-24-2019, 10:17 PM
3m 8898 strapping tape. You're gonna save 50g per wheel over gorilla tape... And that's 50g where it matters.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Synthetic-Strapping-Adhesive/dp/B000SPM730/ref=asc_df_B000SPM730/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198096571354&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15319100367856180378&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014221&hvtargid=pla-356740365351&psc=1

jc031699
07-24-2019, 10:23 PM
3m 8898 strapping tape. You're gonna save 50g per wheel over gorilla tape... And that's 50g where it matters.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Synthetic-Strapping-Adhesive/dp/B000SPM730/ref=asc_df_B000SPM730/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198096571354&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15319100367856180378&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014221&hvtargid=pla-356740365351&psc=1

Cheaper by a lot on the link that OP provided

illuminaught
07-25-2019, 12:11 AM
Yeah, that one is 1-7/8"...

YesNdeed
07-25-2019, 10:29 AM
November uses Tesa 4298

Just ordered a roll. I'm curious.

jc031699
08-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Yeah, that one is 1-7/8"...

Seller has same price for 18 and 24mm widths too...

kiwisimon
08-10-2019, 10:58 PM
3M with a good stretch and a double wrap. . Worked well on both MTB and Road. Never tried any of the other expensive stuff so can't offer a comparison.

makoti
08-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Seller has same price for 18 and 24mm widths too...

Bumping this up for a question...
Setting up a set of Pacenti Forza rims. Which width should I use? The 21mm?

Clancy
08-21-2019, 11:11 AM

like this

I have since purchased this tape and taped-up a set of Hunt wheels with them and the tape worked great. I purchased both widths since it was so cheap and I have different sets of tubeless wheels.

As someone mentioned, the key is to pull it as tight as possible when wrapping the rim.

Worked very bit as well as Stan’s ( I believe better ) at far less cost.

YesNdeed
08-21-2019, 12:09 PM
My favorite tape is Tesa Tape. I found it on Ebay. Jerry from Next Wheels (forum sponsor) turned me on to this stuff after I complained about Stans. Excellent stuff!

+1. Ordered mine here (https://novemberbicycles.com/products/rim-tape-for-tubeless-and-clincher-tires).

I have limited experience with it, but it goes on easier than Stan's and Scotch 8898, and stays where I put it. I make a cut after the first layer, and add a second strip which makes a retaping easier, if I need to. After a sidewall tear on my tubeless Pirelli (they suck), I was pleased to see no sealant had broken the seal of the second layer.

jc031699
08-21-2019, 06:10 PM
I have since purchased this tape and taped-up a set of Hunt wheels with them and the tape worked great. I purchased both widths since it was so cheap and I have different sets of tubeless wheels.

As someone mentioned, the key is to pull it as tight as possible when wrapping the rim.

Worked very bit as well as Stan’s ( I believe better ) at far less cost.

Same as experience for me. A key for me was to degrease the rim bed with acetone first since there is always a little oil from building the wheel.

p nut
08-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Stan’s and 3M user here. Gorilla is terrible.

I get mine here. I also use their sealant so order them at the same time.

https://www.truckerco.com/product-page/tubeless-rim-tape-19mm-x-50m-roll-1

Gummee
08-21-2019, 07:57 PM
I forget the guy's name, but there was a guy on one of the mechanic's groups on FB that seemed to have the credentials that said '3T'

I haven't tried too many tapes over the years, but the one layer of 3T tape that are on several of my wheels have worked great.

M

TimD
08-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Recently, I had a flat on a DT Swiss ER1400 / Conti GP4000S combination, set up with tubes. The post-mortem showed the DT-branded rim tape had failed, exposing a spoke drilling edge, which cut the tube.

Discussing this with DT Swiss customer support, they indicated the tape should be inspected every 3 months and replaced as necessary. The street price of their tape is $27, so it must be very special indeed. I don't know about the rest of youse, but I don't dismount a tire unless it is worn out, flat, or filled with water...

Thanks for the pointers to the 3M tape.

tony_mm
08-23-2019, 12:51 AM
Recently, I had a flat on a DT Swiss ER1400 / Conti GP4000S combination, set up with tubes. The post-mortem showed the DT-branded rim tape had failed, exposing a spoke drilling edge, which cut the tube.

Discussing this with DT Swiss customer support, they indicated the tape should be inspected every 3 months and replaced as necessary. The street price of their tape is $27, so it must be very special indeed. I don't know about the rest of youse, but I don't dismount a tire unless it is worn out, flat, or filled with water...

Thanks for the pointers to the 3M tape.

Totally agree!

Which country was the customer service? US?