PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to detension spokes

shankldu
07-23-2019, 10:30 AM
To Remove a bad hub , a good video link would be much apriciated .

Hindmost
07-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Typically I just start with any spoke and undo a partial (1/2?) turn to each spoke progressively around the rim until things are untentioned. Not scientific, not illustrated.

oldpotatoe
07-23-2019, 11:47 AM
To Remove a bad hub , a good video link would be much apriciated .

Spoke wrench, one spoke at a time..1/2 turn or so each, around the wheel, repeat.

David Tollefson
07-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Tighten until the hub flange fails...

Or just start hitting the spokes with wire cutters.

ultraman6970
07-23-2019, 01:49 PM
Just lose the spokes one by one... all you have to do.

marciero
07-23-2019, 03:00 PM
With the wheel in the truing stand, use two spoke wrenches to loosen 1/4 turn simultaneously on pairs of spokes 180 degrees apart. The n+1st pair should be rotated from the nth pair by 180/2^(n-1) degrees, or as close as practicable. So eg. 12:00 and 6:00, 3:00 and 9:00, 1:30 and 7:30, etc (roughly).
Oh-and also make sure to that pairs contain one spoke from each side of the hub.

FriarQuade
07-23-2019, 09:32 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxhZN6HbMBfAWs3BFT48CuP-YaIx-nTqbEXi13yofeXuXsnIYj

Back the tension off by about half and then cut the spokes out. about 2 turns a spoke should do it for most wheels. Those Knipex cutters are the bees knees for cutting heavy stuff. I've been cutting weld wire with them for a decade and have yet to need to sharpen them.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2019, 06:45 AM
With the wheel in the truing stand, use two spoke wrenches to loosen 1/4 turn simultaneously on pairs of spokes 180 degrees apart. The n+1st pair should be rotated from the nth pair by 180/2^(n-1) degrees, or as close as practicable. So eg. 12:00 and 6:00, 3:00 and 9:00, 1:30 and 7:30, etc (roughly).
Oh-and also make sure to that pairs contain one spoke from each side of the hub.

:eek:

El Chaba
07-24-2019, 06:48 AM
Don't forget to use your tension gauge while detensioning to ensure that the tension is coming down evenly as you go....

oldpotatoe
07-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Don't forget to use your tension gauge while detensioning to ensure that the tension is coming down evenly as you go....

:)

Spaghetti Legs
07-24-2019, 04:35 PM
I talk too it softly first to make sure we're both pretty relaxed. Avoid politics and religion.

tombtfslpk
07-25-2019, 07:17 AM
Okay.....what if it is a disc hub or tubeless rim? Are there any additional safety precautions?
Or both? :eek: Does that then require you to dress like an EOD technician?

marciero
07-25-2019, 07:34 AM
Okay.....what if it is a disc hub or tubeless rim? Are there any additional safety precautions?

For tubeless you should decrease pressure by 10% after each round of simultaneous pairwise tensioning (see my note above). Not sure about disc

marciero
07-25-2019, 07:36 AM
In case it's not obvious, we should probably tell the OP that some of these responses are, uh, tongue in cheek.

oldpotatoe
07-25-2019, 07:38 AM

Nope..the tension 'should' be the same as on a rim brake, non tubeless rim.

Start at valve hole, 1/2 turn off, next spoke, same, around wheel, repeat. Unless you are re-using the spokes, tension off, cut 'em out..I use a wee bolt cutter.

Some of the responses remind me of those who say it takes 2-3 days to glue on a tubular..:eek:

tombtfslpk
07-25-2019, 07:42 AM
For tubeless you should decrease pressure by 10% after each round of simultaneous pairwise tensioning (see my note above). Not sure about disc
Perhaps the disc hub requires you to reduce tension pairwise on the same side of hub rather than alternating?

Mark McM
07-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Perhaps the disc hub requires you to reduce tension pairwise on the same side of hub rather than alternating?

Why, what's the difference?

tombtfslpk
07-25-2019, 09:44 AM
Why, what's the difference?
It's a disc hub, you have to reduce the tension on opposing spokes on the same side, slowly, and continue alternating sides with paired opposing side spokes until you remove the nipples. You need to maintain this protocol to prevent catastrophic failure of the disc flange. That's why you need proper safety equipment.
Sorry, you set me up well. It was up to me to provide the punch line.

Mark McM
07-25-2019, 10:09 AM
It's a disc hub, you have to reduce the tension on opposing spokes on the same side, slowly, and continue alternating sides with paired opposing side spokes until you remove the nipples. You need to maintain this protocol to prevent catastrophic failure of the disc flange. That's why you need proper safety equipment.
Sorry, you set me up well. It was up to me to provide the punch line.

Ah, I get it. It's like how if you detension all the leading spokes first, the wheel will start spinning forward, and if you detension all the trailing spokes first, the wheel will start spinning backwards, so you have detension leading and trailing spokes in pairs to keep the wheel from rolling away on you. :)

Mike Bryant
07-25-2019, 10:10 AM
Do you leave the inflated tire on the wheel and gradually drop air pressure as you detension spokes?

Or in the case or using wire cutters, do you puncture the tire with an awl? Or a Glock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tombtfslpk
07-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Ah, I get it. It's like how if you detension all the leading spokes first, the wheel will start spinning forward, and if you detension all the trailing spokes first, the wheel will start spinning backwards, so you have detension leading and trailing spokes in pairs to keep the wheel from rolling away on you. :)

That's it, I knew you had a plan.;)

ergott
07-25-2019, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't attempt without one of these. Doesn't everyone have one by now?

https://h6r6k6v8.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/ISL-New-MMI-400x400.jpg

oldpotatoe
07-25-2019, 01:40 PM
Do you leave the inflated tire on the wheel and gradually drop air pressure as you detension spokes?

Or in the case or using wire cutters, do you puncture the tire with an awl? Or a Glock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Glock is the most fun..:)