PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Ride Suggestions

irideti
07-22-2019, 02:57 PM
I'm visiting the city with family this week but wanting to do a solid 3-hour ride north of the city - Sausalito, Marin, Mill Valley etc. I'm hoping the ride would include at least couple thousand feet of climb, on route with clearly signs/landmarks so I don't get lost big time. I'm planning to pick up my already reserved bike from Sports Basement in Presidio and start my ride going across Golden Gate Bridge. Any suggestions/commends are appreciated.

jtakeda
07-22-2019, 03:01 PM
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1770391

dton
07-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Strava is a good resource here: https://www.strava.com/local/us/san-francisco/cycling

I would suggest Alpine Dam but cut off Tam due to your time constraints. Otherwise I would suggest Col Du Pantoll because you get to ride a great stretch of Hwy 1.

zetroc
07-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Make sure you never leave anything alone in your rental car, not even for a minute.

ernmony
07-22-2019, 04:02 PM
If you are still around next weekend, I can show you some steep SF hills to climb.

bfd
07-22-2019, 04:02 PM
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1770391

Dude, you must be really fast if you can ride out to Point Reyes Station and back to SF in 3 hours as the OP requested! Remind me not to ride with you as it takes me the better part of 6 hours for me since I have to stop and eat....

If the OP is fast, I say ride out to Stinson Beach and come back along the coast on Hwy 1!

I would agree that a ride up to Pan Toll ranger station and back is good. If he wants to do more climbing, head up to Mt. Tam's East Peak:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1359604

Good Luck!

muz
07-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Dude, you must be really fast if you can ride out to Point Reyes Station and back to SF in 3 hours as the OP requested!

This is indeed a problem. You need to get out of Marin suburbia before good riding starts, and the 18 miles to Fairfax will take at least an hour each way, so no way to get to Point Reyes Station or Mt Tam in a 3 hour ride. Plan on at least 4 hours if you ride hard and don't stop.

eddief
07-22-2019, 04:58 PM
https://www.7x7.com/hawk-hill-challenge-the-bay-areas-most-scenic-bike-ride-1787120298.html

have not done it in a while but cycling up and back over the GG Bridge can be a little crazy especially on the weekends. lotta bikes both directions...hammering or rentals going really slow. once over the bridge make a left and go up and around. i'd guess the Basement could show tell you the exact route.

jtakeda
07-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Dude, you must be really fast if you can ride out to Point Reyes Station and back to SF in 3 hours as the OP requested! Remind me not to ride with you as it takes me the better part of 6 hours for me since I have to stop and eat....

If the OP is fast, I say ride out to Stinson Beach and come back along the coast on Hwy 1!

I would agree that a ride up to Pan Toll ranger station and back is good. If he wants to do more climbing, head up to Mt. Tam's East Peak:

Good Luck!
double post

jtakeda
07-22-2019, 05:38 PM

Good Luck!

Lol. I guess my definition of “solid 3 hours” is different.
When I say solid 3 hours I mean something no less than 3 hours but not all day.

That’s only 75 miles. I’d say 4.5-5.5 hours

I also try not to stop and bring food with me

Duende
07-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Mt. Tam, or take the Bart to Orinda and ride up the back side of the Oakland Hills via Moraga way... and then hit Grizzly Peak!

Tickdoc
07-22-2019, 06:09 PM
I just remember driving a rental up the 101 past Muir Beach and thinking this is riding heaven.

muz
07-22-2019, 08:17 PM
I just remember driving a rental up the 101 past Muir Beach and thinking this is riding heaven.

That would be highway 1, not 101 :banana:

muz
07-22-2019, 08:18 PM
I also try not to stop and bring food with me

OK, stop digging :) The hole point of riding to Point Reyes Station is to get food! Bovine Bakery!

jtakeda
07-22-2019, 08:19 PM
OK, stop digging :) The hole point of riding to Point Reyes Station is to get food! Bovine Bakery!

True. But wouldn’t the whole family want that?

When I go on family trips I try to do the food stuff with everyone (you also get to try more things that way)

Drmojo
07-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Marin is so much more pleasant during the week.
Consider parking in Fairfax
Then Nicasio Pt Reyes station to Pt Reyes
Mt Vision and return
Good food in Inverness
Great shop in Pt Reyes station-Black mt cyclery

pdmtong
07-22-2019, 08:51 PM
Marin is so much more pleasant during the week.
Consider parking in Fairfax
Then Nicasio Pt Reyes station to Pt Reyes
Mt Vision and return
Good food in Inverness

And when there get your grilled cheese sandwich at cowgirl.

joosttx
07-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Strava is a good resource here: https://www.strava.com/local/us/san-francisco/cycling

I would suggest Alpine Dam but cut off Tam due to your time constraints. Otherwise I would suggest Col Du Pantoll because you get to ride a great stretch of Hwy 1.

Either one of these is excellent. I think the alpine dam ride is the quintessential Marin rode bike ride. You can do it 3hrs if you start in Mill Valley. It is pretty easy to navigate once you get out of the little towns, Larkspur, Kentfield, Ross, Etc.

irideti
07-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone for suggestions. It looks like Col du Pantoll is getting my vote since the route has everything including beautiful scenery. I also think, correct me if I'm wrong, I can finish the route in about 3 hours from Presidio. My plan is to pick up my rental when the shop opens at 8am, return the bike and take Uber back to our hotel in Union Square at 12pm. (including time from getting lost). I'm a 'retired' cat 3/35+ rider who is in relative good shape. I do fast club rides but spend most of time climbing Malibu part of Santa Monica mountains. I'm looking forward to ride in much greener Northern Cal in the coming weekend. My foodie family already made reservation for most lunches and dinners. Therefore it's good I can burn some calories from cycling.

Hindmost
07-22-2019, 09:22 PM
That would be highway 1, not 101 :banana:

Oh yeah, and drop the "the." (something with a banana)

XXtwindad
07-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Mt. Tam has the most spectacular vistas I've ever seen. More than makes up for the misery of crossing the GG Bridge.

Look585
07-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone for suggestions. It looks like Col du Pantoll is getting my vote since the route has everything including beautiful scenery. I also think, correct me if I'm wrong, I can finish the route in about 3 hours from Presidio. <snip>

With 3 hours you should be fine, and that is the best loop from the Presidio as it pertains to (minimizing) the faffing about in suburban Marin.

If you find yourself with an extra 30-45 minutes at the end, hang a right into the Marin Headlands before you cross back over the bridge. Look for the "Hawk Hill + Pigeon Loop" on Strava. The views of the Bridge and City from the top are unforgettable. Even just riding up and back on Hawk Hill is worth the ~10mins up and 2mins back down.

joosttx
07-22-2019, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone for suggestions. It looks like Col du Pantoll is getting my vote since the route has everything including beautiful scenery. I also think, correct me if I'm wrong, I can finish the route in about 3 hours from Presidio. My plan is to pick up my rental when the shop opens at 8am, return the bike and take Uber back to our hotel in Union Square at 12pm. (including time from getting lost). I'm a 'retired' cat 3/35+ rider who is in relative good shape. I do fast club rides but spend most of time climbing Malibu part of Santa Monica mountains. I'm looking forward to ride in much greener Northern Cal in the coming weekend. My foodie family already made reservation for most lunches and dinners. Therefore it's good I can burn some calories from cycling.

The only issue, and it’s a big one, with riding the Col du Pan Toll is that the Strava route listed in a previous post has you riding up HWY 1 from Mill Valley. That’s a really bad and stressful way to get up there. There is simply too much traffic on that two lane climb.

Linked below is a much better way to do it At least for the first ascent. There is an even better way to do it but that is more complicated. It’s fun to descend HWY1 just not ride up it.

https://www.studiovelocycling.com/marin-loops/stinson-beach

Bostic
07-22-2019, 10:28 PM

Just picked up my wheels I had Mike rebuild for me. Awesome bike shop.

scoobydrew
07-22-2019, 10:49 PM
Not sure what time of the day or day you are planning to ride, but bring layers just in case. Usually cooler on the coast with some overcast compared to inland.

I usually get by with a regular short sleeve jersey, baselayer underneath, vest, arm warmers, and standard bibs this time of the year.

This past Saturday, it was extremely foggy with heavy misting along Panoramic Hwy from Pantoll Ranger Station.

irideti
07-22-2019, 11:13 PM
Thanks scoobydrew for the reminder. I'll definitely bring my early spring/late fall kit. I know exactly how heavy fog and misty is about after living in Santa Monica and riding up 'n down PCH for over 20 years.