PDA

View Full Version : Rollers no-hands and alignment

Marron
12-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Here's an interesting question for the bike fit gurus. I have noticed that in order for me to comfortably ride no-hands on my rollers I have to skew my body to the right with my left knee brushing my top tube and my right knee bowed out. I have played around a bit with the alignment of my saddle to see if that makes any difference but it doesn't and both my cleats are in the same fore and aft postion.

I know that it's hard to judge without a visual, but any thoughts?

spiderman
12-14-2006, 03:52 PM
is a great idea...
...roller clips could be the post of 2007~:)

12-14-2006, 03:53 PM
I race track power events enough that I'm actually cocked slightly askew on my bike as a result. I've seen this problem plenty of times. You're dealing with a potential combination of (a) a difference in power application between the two legs which pushes you more to one side than the other, plus (b) an asymmetry in your body position on the bike, plus (c) a lack of smoothness that favors one side and causes you to veer slightly on each pedal stroke. It hardly takes any variance from perfect symmetry to cause you to veer on rollers. You can overcome all of these issues with greater smoothness, even if you don't adjust the asymmetries of power or position. I find that the most common problem for most riders with smoothness on the rollers has to do with the top of the pedal stroke, and most often with tightness of the soleus (which causes your foot to hiccup as it goes over the top of the pedal stroke). What you describe in your position can be a response to one leg not being able to make it over the top of the pedal stroke as easily as the other, so you accommodate by shifting to one side (which gives that leg extra range of movement).

Also, you may have your front roller too close under your front axle so you're making the bike hyper-reactive to such issues. Everyone has issues, and you can move the front drum so it's up to about an inch in front of the front axle. This cools down the twitchiness of the bike a huge amount and you may find it gives you the stability you're looking for. This isn't a way to dodge a legitimate problem -- it's just that you can make your rollers unrideable with the wrong drum positioning.

1centaur
12-14-2006, 06:09 PM
I find that the most common problem for most riders with smoothness on the rollers has to do with the top of the pedal stroke, and most often with tightness of the soleus (which causes your foot to hiccup as it goes over the top of the pedal stroke).

Finally! A name for that. How do you loosen the soleus?

Skrawny
12-14-2006, 06:51 PM
is your floor flat?

-s

Marron
12-14-2006, 09:21 PM
I want to know what the soleus is too because that sounds like the most likely issue.; I do have a slight hiccup going over the top. I also tend to favor my left side for sports like surfing.

I go back and forth on the placment of the front roller; sometimes it feels more stable to have it extended and sometimes it seems better under the axle.

My basement floor is definitely not flat but that's not the issue. I've tried reversing the direction of the rollers and it makes no difference.

Tailwinds
12-14-2006, 09:28 PM
The soleus lies under the gastrocnemius (the calf muscle w/the two bulges at the bottom). Massage and/or calf stretches can help loosen your soleus.

12-14-2006, 09:38 PM
The soleus is a very gnarly muscle that provides most of your strength in lifting off onto your toes. It runs to either side of your calf about half way up, and ends down at your achilles tendon. You can massage it all day, but it mostly needs to be lengthened by regular stretching.

To stretch it, bend your knee about 20-30 degrees and then lean against a sofa, wall, whatever. You should be bending your ankle, which will stretch the soleus. You don't want to be stretching the gastrocnemius (which is why you bend the knee to take the stretch out of that muscle) -- otherwise you won't engage the soleus properly. It's important that your feet, knees, and hips all be oriented so they are straight forward. If you let any one of them twist in or out, you will be avoiding the soleus in the stretch and will be duplicating the action that your leg goes through on the bike if your soleus is too tight. Cyclists typically have extremely tight and shortened soleus muscles, and need a lot of stretching if it isn't going to create overuse problems or bad pedal stroke. By the way, the soleus doesn't stretch worth a dang if the muscle isn't warmed up well. It's only stretched properly if it has been warmed up by a good ride, a gym workout, or something that has warmed it up through its full range of motion.

obtuse
12-14-2006, 09:47 PM
what 11.4 said is true. but all of this may also be irrellevent. having tight soleus(es) (sp?) is not the end of the world and probably does not effect your cycling performance in anyway. a great many cyclists do not exhibit perect symetry in pedal stroke or perfect balance between their left and right halves. as 11.4 said cyclists have notoriously stiff soleuses and it comes with the territory. personally, i can ride rollers no handed pretty centered, but i'd better start my kilo with the left leg at the top of my pedal stroke.

i had a coach/director/crazy mentor who thought stretching was the worst possible thing a cyclist could do. he'd attribute it to everything. of course he was wrong; but i was never faster than when i was under his tutelage...of course he was also making me ride 6 hours a day....

obtuse

Xyzzy
12-14-2006, 10:14 PM
I strained my soleus one time climbing and found the only way to let it heal was to move my cleats back about 10mm for a few weeks. While I really like having the cleats far forward I notice no loss of power having them moved back. I feel slower but I'm not.

Anyways, if you are trying to give your soleus a break try moving the cleats back. A side benefit is the farther back the cleats are the less rotation your lower leg goes through laterally during your pedal stroke, so this helps your knees too.

Steve Hogg (I think) is a proponent of rear mounted cleats. I think I even read about someone (fast) mounting their cleats under their arches (!).