PDA

View Full Version : BB Creak

eolson124
07-20-2019, 02:06 PM
I built up my Peg Marcelo with a treaded Dura Ace BB and R8000 crank. The BB creaks loudly when I push hard on the pedals. Is it possible that I overtightened the end cap of Hollowtech crank during the build? Will a ceramic BB eliminate the creak? If so, can you suggest an Italian threaded BB upgrade. Thanks in advance.

saab2000
07-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Did you grease the threads?

Make sure your chainring bolts are not loose. This accounted for a creak I recently had on a Shimano crank and snugging them up with a drop of oil eliminated it. But snug only. They're easy to over tighten.

No, a ceramic BB will not eliminate a creak. Your BB is fine quality.

Mikej
07-20-2019, 08:38 PM
Shoes? Cleats?

mmfs
07-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Pedals? Seatpost?

oldpotatoe
07-21-2019, 06:36 AM
I built up my Peg Marcelo with a treaded Dura Ace BB and R8000 crank. The BB creaks loudly when I push hard on the pedals. Is it possible that I overtightened the end cap of Hollowtech crank during the build? Will a ceramic BB eliminate the creak? If so, can you suggest an Italian threaded BB upgrade. Thanks in advance.

Sure it's not the pedal, or the headset, or the rear wheel, or CR bolts?

Grease is your friend(BB shell..is the BB shell prepped? Faced and chased?) and teflon tape on the BB cup threads. Also on crank spindle end and crank spindle. Use a proper tool to tighten the LH crank arm on but not silly tight..probably not that. DA BB cups are excellent(are they new?)..ceramic will not do anything but empty your wallet.

eolson124
07-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Creak is not from pedals, cleats, headset, or seat. BB was brand new. Cranks bolts were greased and tightened. Crank reinstalled with grease and proper torque.

There are two remaining suspected causes of the creak: (i) I failed to properly prep the BB shell, or (ii) spokes in rear wheel are creaking. I plan to swap wheels to eliminate rear wheel. If problem is BB prep (or lack thereof), who are the steps/tools needed to prep for the initial build.

Someone suggested removing tire/tube/rim tape and applying locktight (blue) to the end of spokes. Thoughts.

Thanks for the help. EWO

Big Dan
07-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Check the front wheel also.
That's usually where I start.
Maybe grease the seat post too.

Ralph
07-21-2019, 06:37 PM
Rear skewer creaked on one of my bike a few years ago. Drove me nuts figuring that out. Would have bet you anything it was from BB, or pedals, or chainring bolts, etc. Put in a Record skewer....no creak.

Mikej
07-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Rear skewer creaked on one of my bike a few years ago. Drove me nuts figuring that out. Would have bet you anything it was from BB, or pedals, or chainring bolts, etc. Put in a Record skewer....no creak.

Definitely check what he said- especially Carbon

eolson124
05-26-2020, 05:14 PM
The problem was a creak triggered when I pushed over 300 watts. I replaced the BB, swapped out pedals, changed shoes, replaced both skewers, replaced the chain, swapped out the crankset, and swapped out the saddle. I finally found the culprit - the cassette. I pulled the cassette and sprayed the outside of the housing with T9, and the creak immediately disappeared.

Thanks for all responses. EWO

charliedid
05-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Whew, that took a long time!

oldpotatoe
05-27-2020, 06:55 AM
The problem was a creak triggered when I pushed over 300 watts. I replaced the BB, swapped out pedals, changed shoes, replaced both skewers, replaced the chain, swapped out the crankset, and swapped out the saddle. I finally found the culprit - the cassette. I pulled the cassette and sprayed the outside of the housing with T9, and the creak immediately disappeared.

Funny quarantine story..not about the virus:).
I had a click on my Mercckx..every pedal stroke. Took the bike home and did an OVERHAUL, breaking my own rules about swapping cycling shoes, then pedals, etc, took the entire bike apart, hubs, eveything...next ride, warmer day..click gone...hooray!!

Next day, colder again, click back..Gad Zooks!!

Difference was the jacket I was wearing on cold days..zipper pull clicking..

TINS..for you navy guys..:)

avalonracing
05-27-2020, 07:41 AM

I don't know if you are justing a Dura Ace cassette but my friend and I have broken ours (pre and post redisgn models). I'm saying this because mine was creaking a bit before it finally gave way. A bit of T-9 probably would have kept it quiet for a while. Next time you have it off you might want to look at the pins that hold the big cogs together.