PDA

View Full Version : Gatorskin emotional support group

mtechnica
07-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Now that I moved to so cal I have been getting relatively frequent flats with my gp4000s that used to almost never flat back home in WA. It has become a nuisance on my 14 mile each way commute and today I completely slashed through my rear tire. I want fast and smooth tires but I need to install my extra gatorskins. I don’t want to. I go for strava segments all the time commuting. I don’t want the extra rolling resistance. I’m going to be a baby about it and complain to everybody.

AngryScientist
07-19-2019, 04:05 PM
hhaha.

my name is mtech and i'm addicted to supple tires.

hi mtech!

beeatnik
07-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Get the Big Boy Pirellis.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/pirelli-cinturato-tubeless-road-gravel-700c-tire?fltr=

R3awak3n
07-19-2019, 04:10 PM
tubeless...

jtbadge
07-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Why not try a 4 Season? They're marketed as between a 4000 and a Gatorskin in durability and ride quality.

Dave
07-19-2019, 04:49 PM
I have them on my second/winter bike. Not that big a deal, even riding a lot of chip seal.

makoti
07-19-2019, 05:08 PM
tubeless...

My thoughts, too

weisan
07-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Or you can try Panaracer Pasela family of tires. They are slightly more supple than the Gator.

BobC
07-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Gatorskins for training
GPs for racing

Think of your commuting as training. Easy day.

mtechnica
07-19-2019, 05:13 PM
I would have to get different wheels to go tubeless but I’ve definitely thought about it. I experimented with putting Stan’s in my tubes and it saved me a few times but the times it didn’t work it just made a huge mess and I couldn’t patch the tube.

I’ve used the gp 4 seasons before and imo they feel even slower than gatorskins but they’re a little more supple.

My friend has pirelli tires and swears by them but I haven’t tried them. I do have a set of new 25c gatorskins sitting around already though I’ve just tried to avoid having to put them on.

beeatnik
07-19-2019, 05:24 PM
My pal is running those Cinturatos with tubes (as recommended by his local shop). He gets the PROest deals at the LBS and has ridden all the good stuff in the last few years. Vittoria rep hooked him up with some crazy super supple Corsa prototypes a few months back. Short story long, he used to flat about once per ride on the Mean Streets of Eagle Rock. Last few rides we've done have been flat free and he can't feel much difference between the new tires and previous premium rubber. YMMV.

mtechnica
07-19-2019, 05:41 PM
My pal is running those Cinturatos with tubes (as recommended by his local shop). He gets the PROest deals at the LBS and has ridden all the good stuff in the last few years. Vittoria rep hooked him up with some crazy super supple Corsa prototypes a few months back. Short story long, he used to flat about once per ride on the Mean Streets of Eagle Rock. Last few rides we've done have been flat free and he can't feel much difference between the new tires and previous premium rubber. YMMV.

Thanks for the recommendation, I might have to try a set.

Ken Robb
07-19-2019, 05:57 PM
hhaha.

my name is mtech and i'm addicted to supple tires.

hi mtech!

This is FUNNY!

Louis
07-19-2019, 06:17 PM
I bet you won't ever get flats if you use tires like these:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/08/29/10/37AD062F00000578-0-image-a-32_1472464007044.jpg

Ken Robb
07-19-2019, 06:46 PM
Maybe not, but will it plane?

berserk87
07-22-2019, 12:55 AM
I love the puncture resistance of Gatorskins but got tired of riding what felt like frozen sections of garden hose.

Switched to Continental 4 Seasons this past year and that did the trick. I didn't have a flat all winter and into spring, and they are much more agreeable on the backside than the Gators.

Louis
07-22-2019, 01:40 AM
Maybe not, but will it plane?

In that case, maybe the OP should use these:

https://cdn.planeandpilotmag.com/2018/01/convair-xb-36-main-landing-gear-tires.jpg

martl
07-22-2019, 04:45 AM
Now that I moved to so cal I have been getting relatively frequent flats with my gp4000s that used to almost never flat back home in WA. It has become a nuisance on my 14 mile each way commute and today I completely slashed through my rear tire. I want fast and smooth tires but I need to install my extra gatorskins. I don’t want to. I go for strava segments all the time commuting. I don’t want the extra rolling resistance. I’m going to be a baby about it and complain to everybody.

The conti product range offers a few hidden gems if you're willing to leave the trodden path

One are Conti Podiums. Those Strava KOMs will come in faster than you can say "pfffft!"

But there's more (and better!) for both a supple ride and durability, there's nothing but the Conti "Goldschlange"

https://www.liquipipe.de/media/image/ea/df/82/Image-12_600x600.jpg

it comes in 27,8mm (aah that german precision!), so it is not old school. The pricetag of 626€ may be one of the reason so few know about it and even fewer use it

https://www.liquipipe.de/mega/continental-schlauch-epdm-schwarz-gelb-40m-type-goldschlange?sPartner=PLA&number=7019032-40&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvdXpBRCoARIsAMJSKqJV_FxNmpye87K2FdP_ hqUGnHfF0AQaaA65FDFmFH9cmMkFY7jqbYAaAqYFEALw_wcB

Peter P.
07-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Move back to Washington; So Cal is not for the weak.

AngryScientist
07-22-2019, 06:04 AM
if you're in need, i've got a few bikes worth of gatorskins i found in the backyard i can sell of cheap:

https://st2.depositphotos.com/4341251/6620/i/950/depositphotos_66204315-stock-photo-old-water-hose-on-the.jpg

kiwisimon
07-22-2019, 07:07 AM
My names Simon and I regularly puncture rear tires. I've tried them all man, from wire beaded pounders to Conti gatorskins.
And then one day I saw what I was doing to my riding time and I went tubeless (cold turkey) and just carried a spare tube in my saddle bag. I went two seasons and not a worry. BUT.... there is always a but......

the rear tire finally wore down to thread and I put in a tubed clincher to see if I could get away with it, two weeks later miles away from anywhere on a solo ride, I friggin well must have got into the fast lane or the gutter, I don't remember and I had puncture tracks or maybe just a stab of steel or was it a rock, whatever I hit rock bottom of the rim.

I swear
I'm staying on the tubeless wagon.... I'm afraid of what might happen if I don't.

these are brilliant grippy but a touch fast wearing

Ken Robb
07-22-2019, 11:29 AM
I used to ride Gatorskins and I don't remember hating them. When you guys ride tires like them that are designed for puncture resistance do you reduce tire pressure to compensate for the stiffer tire?

That seemed to work for Gatorskins but NOT for the early edition of Specialized Armadillos I tried. They were so rough riding that I gave them away after about 50 miles of riding.

mktng
07-22-2019, 11:37 AM
i love gatorskins.
reliable tires. for my at least.
worry free = fast

Jaybee
07-22-2019, 11:37 AM
I used to ride Gatorskins and I don't remember hating them. When you guys ride tires like them that are designed for puncture resistance do you reduce tire pressure to compensate for the stiffer tire?

That seemed to work for Gatorskins but NOT for the early edition of Specialized Armadillos I tried. They were so rough riding that I gave them away after about 50 miles of riding.

I do this. In fact for road and gravel tubeless applications, I find there is a nice balance between the stiffness provided by the sidewall and that provided by the air. Some of the super light and extremely supple tires have to be run at higher pressures than I'd like to avoid folding over.

mtechnica
07-22-2019, 01:21 PM
I rode with the gatorskins today and got a flat! Hahaha wow. The route I ride is nice except the roads are just covered in crap. I might truly have to go tubeless I think. Btw the 25c gatorskins at 85psi feel fine they’re just slow.

Big Dan
07-22-2019, 01:24 PM
Maybe you need a tire liner like Mr Tuffy.
At least on the rear tire.

Elefantino
07-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Contrary to Continental's marketing, Gatorskins exist solely to make you appreciate every other tire out there.

beeatnik
07-22-2019, 01:44 PM

Forgot to ask, how many flats are you averaging monthly? Cliche or not, mine come in threes, every few months. But 10 flats yearly is not enough to give up Conti 5000s and Turbo Cottons. Mean Streets!

azrider
07-22-2019, 01:53 PM
Wait........so ya'll are telling me you can tell THAT BIG of difference between GP's and Gatorskins?

Reminds me of one of my daughters favorite books :p:p:p:p

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91qBkwDWbIL.jpg

ravdg316
07-22-2019, 01:54 PM
I rode with the gatorskins today and got a flat! Hahaha wow. The route I ride is nice except the roads are just covered in crap. I might truly have to go tubeless I think. Btw the 25c gatorskins at 85psi feel fine they’re just slow.

85 psi for a 25c gatorskin seems low! Continental recommends minimum 95 according to their site.

azrider
Wait........so ya'll are telling me you can tell THAT BIG of difference between GP's and Gatorskins?

Reminds me of one of my daughters favorite books :p:p:p:p

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LBrSXMJEL._SX497_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

mtechnica
Forgot to ask, how many flats are you averaging monthly? Cliche or not, mine come in threes, every few months. But 10 flats yearly is not enough to give up Conti 5000s and Turbo Cottons. Mean Streets!

Probably 3-5 a year on normal road rides but 2-3 a month commuting on my usual route. My commute is chill but for some reason there’s goat heads, glass, pieces of garbage wire, palm fronds, just all over the entire ride. It doesn’t help that everyone just pays people to “clean” by blowing all of their **** into the street with leaf blowers. It’s just a gnarly situation.

mtechnica
07-22-2019, 01:56 PM

The difference in rolling resistance is 100% noticeable, if you look at the tests between the two tires there’s like a 10-20 watt difference just from rolling resistance.

mtechnica
07-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Maybe you need a tire liner like Mr Tuffy.
At least on the rear tire.

I’m considering it, I used to do that when I rode for a living on my fixie.

mtechnica
07-22-2019, 01:58 PM
85 psi for a 25c gatorskin seems low! Continental recommends minimum 95 according to their site.

If I pump them up more they just ride more harshly and don’t roll any faster. I literally never pinch flat so that’s not an issue. 85-90 seems good, I have wide-ish rims as well.

FlashUNC
07-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Two options are superior to the Gatorskin:

1) Move to a place where the roads aren't garbage.

2) Invest in a good broom and a neon vest for roadside work.

I think I'd rather go slowly mad riding Zwift than use Gatorskins.

berserk87
07-22-2019, 04:54 PM

Simple answer - yes.

sonicCows
07-22-2019, 05:09 PM
Have you tried GP5000?

kevinvc
07-22-2019, 05:55 PM
I've been using Schwalbe Big Apples for about a year on my everyday commute without a flat. I can handle terrible roads, curbs, debris and even light rail tracks without fear. Every so often I'll use a dental pick and dig out the bits of glass, wire, etc. that they've absorbed.

I like not having to worry about flats and I don't try to go fast on my commute, so they are great for this use. But man, they are sloooow, heavy and, surprisingly considering their size and low psi, harsh. I'm used to them now, but it was a tough transition at first and really noticeable if I ride different tires and then go back to them.

mtechnica
07-22-2019, 06:00 PM
Have you tried GP5000?

No but I want them and a tubeless wheelset now

dave thompson
07-22-2019, 07:14 PM
My wife and all of her biker buddies roll on Gatorskins. My wife (a stud) puts on some pretty serious miles, 1000 miles a month, más o menos. Being the fleet mechanic and chief tire fixer, I keep a good stock of Gatorskins in the shop. I hate flats.

dieonthishill
07-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Love me some Gatorskins. Been using them for over 10 years now. Commuted in Seattle on the same set of tires for 3 years without one flat. I keep up with the GP4000 folks just fine.